Sign in to follow this  
Shadi Lahham

The cave on GOG/HB

Steam allows for regional pricing, publishers use that to price the game differently, welcome to digital distribution.

Steam allows for regional pricing, publishers use that to price the game differently, welcome to digital distribution.

regional pricing and controls made no sense in the era of physical shipping of CD/DVD games, now it makes even less sense in the era of digital distribution!

I can understand extra costs only in the case of localization costs (translation and voice in different languages) but that should be an optional EXTRA! Add-on or DLC for whomever wants it.

Everybody else should pay the same price worldwide (e.g. GOG/HB .. others? )

The Mac OS Steam version seems to be DRM free. The "TheCave.app" from the Steam-library-folder runs happily on a Mac without Steam being installed ;-)

There is some debug-output on the console complaining about the fact there is no Steam, but thats it:

[s_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; ipcserver GetSteamPath failed.

[s_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.dll.

Does somebody know if there's a plan to release a "boxed" version on CD/DVD? Of course without Steam.

I want to buy this game, but only if as DRM free download or on a"steamless" CD/DVD.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know just how much control Sega has concerning The Cave? I noticed in the title screen it lists the game as being owned by Double Fine, not Sega. (Which is weird since every past DF game was owned by the publisher, but I'm not complaining.)

Maybe Sega's influence doesn't matter when it comes to the game being on GOG or not.

Out of curiosity, does anyone know just how much control Sega has concerning The Cave? I noticed in the title screen it lists the game as being owned by Double Fine, not Sega. (Which is weird since every past DF game was owned by the publisher, but I'm not complaining.)

Maybe Sega's influence doesn't matter when it comes to the game being on GOG or not.

We actually own the core IP to all of our previous games except for Iron Brigade. However, the publishers of those games often have rights to various aspects of the game, especially regarding distribution. Sega, the publisher for The Cave, is definitely involved in the decision of what platforms/channels The Cave is released on.

We actually own the core IP to all of our previous games except for Iron Brigade. However, the publishers of those games often have rights to various aspects of the game, especially regarding distribution. Sega, the publisher for The Cave, is definitely involved in the decision of what platforms/channels The Cave is released on.

Finally an 'official' response :)

Sadly, SEGA has never published anything on GOG so the chances of seeing the game there are slim.

but maybe the cave can be in a future humblebundle

I am still hoping it will happen some time :) I will be the first one who buys it... So please double fine make SEGA sell it DRM free :)

Actually, this is the only reason I didn't buy The Cave yet. Any type of stand-alone (no additional program required to play) PC distribution would do. This is the first game in many years that I wanted and couldn't buy without steam (I bought the rest straight from the companies web sites).

This, for me as well is the only reason why I haven't got The Cave. When I'm at home, I don't have internet there as there is no reasonably affordable high speed available. What is available has long term contracts, infrastructure costs and really low download limits with high cost per additional GB.

That being said, I'm so sick and tired of bringing in my computer into town to re-login to Steam just so I can play the games that I have already paid for. They aren't getting another penny from me until they fix their offline mode so it never loses it. As far as I'm concerned, they shouldn't add any more features until they do. It is a broken program, and it should be fixed. It's like putting a new stereo in a car with a busted transmission.

GOG/HS/Desura (the ones that have DRM-free downloadable installers) I'll support them anytime. I don't even really mind the current iterations of Origin and Uplay because they at least let me play the games I bought from them whenever I want.

I'll pick up The Cave as soon as it goes onto another store that doesn't require Steamworks, or Valve finally decides to fix their busted piece of DRM.