Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
buckysrevenge

... and on Linux, too!

Yeah, I also want to pre-order, but if I do so, will I get the Linux version?

In Steam, it is listed as a Windows and Mac game (or was last night when I checked). I'm brand new to Steam, having managed my library on my own for over a decade, in Humble since 2010, and on Desura since the summer beta in 2011. Do you automagically get every platform version upon release? That's how Desura and Humble (store and bundle) work.

I really want to pre-order & support DF, but I also want to play The Cave ... what do I do?! X-(

Checked on Steam just now, it still says nothing about Linux...

O' LORD GILBERT!! I TRUST YOUR WORDS... BUT I AM CONSUMED IN DOUBT AND FEAR! AM I FORSAKEN?!

Buy a game once on Steam, and you get it for every platform. If a new platform is added later on for a game, you'll still get access to it. You have nothing to worry about.

Thanks, Syd! Done.

I just bought my first Steam game.

[ thunder and lightning crashing overhead ]

Now, how do I get my purchase counted as a Linux supporter? Does Valve simply track which OS client it was that was used to make the purchase? Does anybody even know?

Yeah, Steam has some data tracking capabilities to see what OS people are playing it on and what-not, since that's some interesting information to developers and publishers. Ron answered with this when asked about an individual's purchase showing as a Linux purchase: "It's based on how much you play each version in the first few weeks."

I'm definitely going to play the hell out of it on Linux during the first few weeks then. I don't have too many other games left to play on Linux after I finished the Book of Unwritten Tales a couple of days ago.

There's a lot more focused based on the hardware and software survey, wherby they look at the % of every OS being used by Steam users.

Well Linux-Support totally makes sense, as according to the steam hwsurvey, there are currently more users of Ubuntu-Distos (0.8%) than Win8-Users (0.6%). :D

Seriously though, thanks a lot for the amazingness of a Linux version, DF! You're now officially twice as awesome. :)

Well Linux-Support totally makes sense, as according to the steam hwsurvey, there are currently more users of Ubuntu-Distos (0.8%) than Win8-Users (0.6%). :D

Seriously though, thanks a lot for the amazingness of a Linux version, DF! You're now officially twice as awesome. :)

You might have missed looking up higher in the list windows 8 64 bit (6%) almost no windows user will be stupid enough not using 64 bit.

You might have missed looking up higher in the list windows 8 64 bit (6%) almost no windows user will be stupid enough not using 64 bit.

Oh, right... Uhmm.... Let's just ignore that and pretend it wasn't there... ;)

Linux support is about tapping new markets, not transferring the windows market. Knuff don't be stupid, my god. I mean, aren't you supposed to be a Linux user?

This is an official reply that yes, buying the Steam version will give you access to the Linux and Mac versions!

While you're around, why does the Steam version still only show up as Windows and Mac? Is Sega just being slow at telling Valve to update it it to show Linux compatibility as well?

This is an official reply that yes, buying the Steam version will give you access to the Linux and Mac versions!

While you're around, why does the Steam version still only show up as Windows and Mac? Is Sega just being slow at telling Valve to update it it to show Linux compatibility as well?

There's still some finalization work being done, and I have a feeling that's one of the tasks in somebody's inbox. It will be there eventually, so feel free to squeak in glee once it appears. (Chuckling happily to yourself is also a good choice for that event.)

Linux support is about tapping new markets, not transferring the windows market.

1. I never said that.

2. Actually, it's kind of beginning to become both at the moment. But that's irrelevant.

3. I don't even care. I'm just happy i can start to use only one OS for getting things done and gaming.

Also: Calm down. No need for insults.

So I've pre-orderered "The Cave" on Steam for Linux but there is currently no option for me to download the game. It still says "not available on your platform" at what point (possibly during today) is this going to change? I bought it mainly because I got access to it on Linux through Steam. I'll try being patient but right now the multi-platform-launch doesn't really apply to me. :(

So I've pre-orderered "The Cave" on Steam for Linux but there is currently no option for me to download the game. It still says "not available on your platform" at what point (possibly during today) is this going to change? I bought it mainly because I got access to it on Linux through Steam. I'll try being patient but right now the multi-platform-launch doesn't really apply to me. :(
We're committed to The Cave on Linux, but we have one serious issue that we're still sorting through before we can release it in good faith. There are also some odds and ends due to still raw Steam Linux features (like case sensitivity in Cloud saves). We'll work to get it released as soon as we feel it's solid.

We're committed to The Cave on Linux, but we have one serious issue that we're still sorting through before we can release it in good faith. There are also some odds and ends due to still raw Steam Linux features (like case sensitivity in Cloud saves). We'll work to get it released as soon as we feel it's solid.

Thanks "Syd" for providing this. I couldn't be bothered to go through several pages of kind of unrelated posts to find this. I'll just wait until I get to enjoy my favorite studio on my favorite platform. After all, this is why I donated to the DFA project in some sense.

I hope I can come back here in good faith without getting any spoilers =)

I caved in (ugh, bad pun) and installed it on Windows. I'm loving the game so far, but I really hope I'll be able to play it on Linux soon. And I'm kind of worried that this will imbalance the OS statistics.

Next week *angst* waah.

I'm flying out to a Linux Conference and I was really hoping to be pimpin the game on the plane over.. Can't be seen booting into Windows, after all... with *my* reputation! :P

I'm on the edge of my seat y'all, can't wait!

Any news? I've bought this when it was first available for pre-order and I'm still saving it to play on Linux.

Any news? I've bought this when it was first available for pre-order and I'm still saving it to play on Linux.

The Linux version is supposed to come out sometime this week.

Justin, is Valve helping you guys (or vice-versa)? I kind of expected that there would be some massaging required to get the Linux Steam client polished up. I'm hoping that the fixes for some of the hassles your team are experiencing are things that can help other developers wishing to publish their Linux games on Steam as well...

EDIT: typo fixed

Then you have stronger will power than me. I've already played about 15 hours on Windows, which is a bit sad, as I was really hoping my purchase would count towards Linux sales. I still have 6 happy endings and a few other achievements to go to 100% it, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to squeeze that much more playtime out of it.

I kind of expected that there would be some massaging required to get the Linux Steam client polished up.

That client was pretty polished up from day one.

I played the Xbox demo, which made me keen. I tried the Windows version under wine, which failed completely and made me sad. So now I'm checking Steam every couple of hours for the Linux version.

I played the Xbox demo, which made me keen. I tried the Windows version under wine, which failed completely and made me sad. So now I'm checking Steam every couple of hours for the Linux version.

Seriously!

Sign in to follow this