Sign in to follow this  
buckysrevenge

... and on Linux, too!

Hmmm, not loading. I get a blank screen then I return to Steam. Loading from a terminal shows a bunch of messages, the most obviously odd is "Attempting to use a Windows only path root on non-Windows platform for game 221810". I noticed that Cave.bin.x86 and run_game.sh weren't executable, but chmod +x didn't make a difference.

Have you restarted steam since we fixed it?

The whole game appears to have downloaded successfully, I verified the game cache. This is the full message I get in the terminal when trying to launch the game:

Failed to load installscript /home/pablo/Steam/SteamApps/common/TheCave/installscript.vdf

Attempting to use a Windows only path root on non-Windows platform for game 221810

Attempting to use a Windows only path root on non-Windows platform for game 221810

Game update: AppID 221810 "The Cave", ProcID 26288, IP 0.0.0.0:0

(steam:26185): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.

(steam:26185): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.

saving roaming config store to 'sharedconfig.vdf'

roaming config store 2 saved successfully

Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 221810

Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561197970926778 [API loaded no]

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Game removed: AppID 221810 "The Cave", ProcID 26289 

Try turning off steam cloud for a bit then launching the game.

Yay, it finally downloads, installs, and runs.

Sadly, there is no sound for me. I'm using Kernel 3.8.0 (final) and slackware64 14.0. with alsa. Also, quitting from the menu does not work. It just hangs the game. Console output follows:

Failed to load installscript /home/me/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/TheCave/installscript.vdf

Game update: AppID 221810 "The Cave", ProcID 5228, IP 0.0.0.0:0

ERROR: ld.so: object 'gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID: Caching Steam ID: 76561197978026543 [API loaded no]

ERROR: ld.so: object 'gameoverlayrenderer.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(20130215122411_client)

Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(1.0_client)

Installing breakpad exception handler for appid(gameoverlayui)/version(1.0_client)

[0219/162023:WARNING:proxy_service.cc(646)] PAC support disabled because there is no system implementation

Game removed: AppID 221810 "The Cave", ProcID 5228

Generating new string page texture 173: 128x256, total string texture memory is 5.41 MB

[code]

Try turning off steam cloud for a bit then launching the game.

Now I get this message:

Failed to load installscript /home/pablo/Steam/SteamApps/common/TheCave/installscript.vdf

Game update: AppID 221810 "The Cave", ProcID 27077, IP 0.0.0.0:0

Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561197970926778 [API loaded no]

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Game removed: AppID 221810 "The Cave", ProcID 27078 

What files do you synchronize via Steam Cloud? I played the game on a Windows system for a while; could that have caused the problem?

On my laptop with Intel HD3000 graphics (Sandybridge GT2+), I'm getting the game to load, I can hear the Cave's voice, and see logos and text - but no actual graphics.

If I run it manually with MESA_DEBUG=yes set, I get:

: saboo:pts/1; MESA_DEBUG=yes ./Cave.bin.x86 

Mesa warning: couldn't open libtxc_dxtn.so, software DXTn compression/decompression unavailable

Mesa warning: couldn't open libtxc_dxtn.so, software DXTn compression/decompression unavailable

dlopen failed trying to load:

/home/jeremy/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steamclient.sowith error:

libtier0_s.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

[s_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; Sys_LoadModule failed to load: /home/jeremy/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steamclient.so

[s_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.dll.

Mesa: User error: GL_INVALID_VALUE in glTexImage2D(internalFormat=GL_R32F)

Mesa: 12 similar GL_INVALID_VALUE errors

Mesa: User error: GL_INVALID_FRAMEBUFFER_OPERATION in glClear(incomplete framebuffer)

Mesa: User error: GL_INVALID_FRAMEBUFFER_OPERATION in glDrawArrays(incomplete framebuffer)

Mesa: User error: GL_INVALID_FRAMEBUFFER_OPERATION in glDrawElements(incomplete framebuffer)

Mesa: User error: GL_INVALID_FRAMEBUFFER_OPERATION in glDrawElements(incomplete framebuffer)

I don't think the DXTn messages are important because Intel graphics support them in hardware, but I'm not sure about the GL_R32F floating point texture format, or what the "incomplete framebuffer" message means.

I hope this is supported hardware - it's listed as supported for Windows.

FYI: If you've been playing on Windows and want to pick up where you left off, you can just copy the contents of %APPDATA%\Doublefine\TheCave in Windows and drop them in ~/.local/share/Doublefine/TheCave in Linux.

Steam Cloud didn't move my save files over from the Windows version, but I don't think that's specific to The Cave. I don't think it's copied my save games from Windows for any other games either. I've had better luck turning off Steam Cloud and symlinking save directories to a Dropbox folder.

For those needing help: Along with your problem please include the output of glxinfo as well as the distribution and architecture that you're running on. Otherwise we'll be trying to help you slightly blindly.

Is there something specific you are looking for in the output, i.e., what are the minimum requirements of the GPU? The output is rather long and would make this topic pretty unreadable.

For those needing help: Along with your problem please include the output of glxinfo as well as the distribution and architecture that you're running on. Otherwise we'll be trying to help you slightly blindly.

My machine is a Lenovo X220 with x86-64 running Fedora 18.

glxinfo:

name of display: :0

display: :0  screen: 0

direct rendering: Yes

server glx vendor string: SGI

server glx version string: 1.4

server glx extensions:

GLX_ARB_create_context, GLX_ARB_create_context_profile, 

GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile, 

GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_EXT_visual_info, 

GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_INTEL_swap_event, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, 

GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_SGIS_multisample, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, 

GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, GLX_SGI_swap_control, 

client glx vendor string: Mesa Project and SGI

client glx version string: 1.4

client glx extensions:

GLX_ARB_create_context_robustness, GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, 

GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile, 

GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GLX_EXT_import_context, 

GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, 

GLX_INTEL_swap_event, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, 

GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_MESA_swap_control, 

GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_OML_sync_control, GLX_SGIS_multisample, 

GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, 

GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGI_video_sync, 

GLX version: 1.4

GLX extensions:

GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, 

GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile, GLX_EXT_import_context, 

GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, 

GLX_INTEL_swap_event, GLX_MESA_copy_sub_buffer, 

GLX_MESA_multithread_makecurrent, GLX_MESA_swap_control, 

GLX_OML_swap_method, GLX_OML_sync_control, GLX_SGIS_multisample, 

GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGIX_visual_select_group, 

GLX_SGI_make_current_read, GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_SGI_video_sync, 

OpenGL vendor string: Intel Open Source Technology Center

OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI Intel(R) Sandybridge Mobile 

OpenGL version string: 2.1 Mesa 9.0.1

OpenGL shading language version string: 1.30

OpenGL extensions:

GL_3DFX_texture_compression_FXT1, GL_AMD_draw_buffers_blend, 

GL_APPLE_object_purgeable, GL_APPLE_packed_pixels, 

GL_APPLE_vertex_array_object, GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility, 

GL_ARB_blend_func_extended, GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_ARB_copy_buffer, 

GL_ARB_debug_output, GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float, GL_ARB_depth_clamp, 

GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend, 

GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex, GL_ARB_draw_instanced, 

GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location, GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions, 

GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow, 

GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_framebuffer_object, 

GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, 

GL_ARB_half_float_vertex, GL_ARB_instanced_arrays, 

GL_ARB_invalidate_subdata, GL_ARB_map_buffer_range, GL_ARB_multisample, 

GL_ARB_multitexture, GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_ARB_occlusion_query2, 

GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_point_sprite, 

GL_ARB_provoking_vertex, GL_ARB_robustness, GL_ARB_sampler_objects, 

GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map, GL_ARB_shader_bit_encoding, 

GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod, 

GL_ARB_shading_language_100, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_ARB_sync, 

GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, GL_ARB_texture_compression, 

GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, 

GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, 

GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, 

GL_ARB_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_ARB_texture_non_power_of_two, 

GL_ARB_texture_rectangle, GL_ARB_texture_rg, GL_ARB_texture_rgb10_a2ui, 

GL_ARB_texture_storage, GL_ARB_texture_swizzle, GL_ARB_timer_query, 

GL_ARB_transpose_matrix, GL_ARB_uniform_buffer_object, 

GL_ARB_vertex_array_bgra, GL_ARB_vertex_array_object, 

GL_ARB_vertex_buffer_object, GL_ARB_vertex_program, GL_ARB_vertex_shader, 

GL_ARB_window_pos, GL_ATI_blend_equation_separate, GL_ATI_draw_buffers, 

GL_ATI_envmap_bumpmap, GL_ATI_separate_stencil, 

GL_ATI_texture_env_combine3, GL_EXT_abgr, GL_EXT_bgra, 

GL_EXT_blend_color, GL_EXT_blend_equation_separate, 

GL_EXT_blend_func_separate, GL_EXT_blend_minmax, GL_EXT_blend_subtract, 

GL_EXT_compiled_vertex_array, GL_EXT_copy_texture, GL_EXT_draw_buffers2, 

GL_EXT_draw_instanced, GL_EXT_draw_range_elements, GL_EXT_fog_coord, 

GL_EXT_framebuffer_blit, GL_EXT_framebuffer_multisample, 

GL_EXT_framebuffer_object, GL_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, 

GL_EXT_gpu_program_parameters, GL_EXT_multi_draw_arrays, 

GL_EXT_packed_depth_stencil, GL_EXT_packed_pixels, 

GL_EXT_pixel_buffer_object, GL_EXT_point_parameters, 

GL_EXT_polygon_offset, GL_EXT_provoking_vertex, GL_EXT_rescale_normal, 

GL_EXT_secondary_color, GL_EXT_separate_shader_objects, 

GL_EXT_separate_specular_color, GL_EXT_shadow_funcs, 

GL_EXT_stencil_two_side, GL_EXT_stencil_wrap, GL_EXT_subtexture, 

GL_EXT_texture, GL_EXT_texture3D, GL_EXT_texture_array, 

GL_EXT_texture_compression_dxt1, GL_EXT_texture_compression_rgtc, 

GL_EXT_texture_compression_s3tc, GL_EXT_texture_cube_map, 

GL_EXT_texture_edge_clamp, GL_EXT_texture_env_add, 

GL_EXT_texture_env_combine, GL_EXT_texture_env_dot3, 

GL_EXT_texture_filter_anisotropic, GL_EXT_texture_integer, 

GL_EXT_texture_lod_bias, GL_EXT_texture_object, GL_EXT_texture_rectangle, 

GL_EXT_texture_sRGB, GL_EXT_texture_sRGB_decode, GL_EXT_texture_snorm, 

GL_EXT_texture_swizzle, GL_EXT_timer_query, GL_EXT_transform_feedback, 

GL_EXT_vertex_array, GL_EXT_vertex_array_bgra, 

GL_IBM_multimode_draw_arrays, GL_IBM_rasterpos_clip, 

GL_IBM_texture_mirrored_repeat, GL_INGR_blend_func_separate, 

GL_MESA_pack_invert, GL_MESA_texture_array, GL_MESA_texture_signed_rgba, 

GL_MESA_window_pos, GL_MESA_ycbcr_texture, GL_NV_blend_square, 

GL_NV_conditional_render, GL_NV_depth_clamp, GL_NV_light_max_exponent, 

GL_NV_packed_depth_stencil, GL_NV_primitive_restart, 

GL_NV_texgen_reflection, GL_NV_texture_env_combine4, 

GL_NV_texture_rectangle, GL_NV_vertex_program, GL_NV_vertex_program1_1, 

GL_OES_EGL_image, GL_OES_read_format, GL_SGIS_generate_mipmap, 

GL_SGIS_texture_border_clamp, GL_SGIS_texture_edge_clamp, 

GL_SGIS_texture_lod, GL_SUN_multi_draw_arrays, 

40 GLX Visuals

visual  x   bf lv rg d st  colorbuffer  sr ax dp st accumbuffer  ms  cav

id dep cl sp  sz l  ci b ro  r  g  b  a F gb bf th cl  r  g  b  a ns b eat

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yay, working great here on my little HP netbook running Ubuntu Quantal AMD64.

Had some sound issues (or rather, a No Sound issue!) when launching from Steam... had to kill pulseaudio and run thecave.bin directly from a terminal to get sound - weirdness.

no audio. slack64 14.0.

root@steambox:~# uname -a;lspci;glxinfo

Linux steambox 3.8.0-rtm #1 SMP Tue Feb 19 05:28:00 PST 2013 x86_64 AMD Phenom(tm) II X2 550 Processor AuthenticAMD GNU/Linux

00:00.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RD780 Northbridge only dual slot PCI-e_GFX and HT1 K8 part

00:02.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RD790 PCI to PCI bridge (external gfx0 port A)

00:06.0 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI RD790 PCI to PCI bridge (PCI express gpp port C)

00:11.0 SATA controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 SATA Controller [AHCI mode]

00:12.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller

00:12.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller

00:12.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller

00:13.0 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI0 Controller

00:13.1 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0 USB OHCI1 Controller

00:13.2 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB EHCI Controller

00:14.0 SMBus: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 SMBus Controller (rev 3c)

00:14.1 IDE interface: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 IDE Controller

00:14.2 Audio device: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 Azalia (Intel HDA)

00:14.3 ISA bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 LPC host controller

00:14.4 PCI bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SBx00 PCI to PCI Bridge

00:14.5 USB controller: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] nee ATI SB7x0/SB8x0/SB9x0 USB OHCI2 Controller

00:18.0 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor HyperTransport Configuration

00:18.1 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Address Map

00:18.2 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor DRAM Controller

00:18.3 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Miscellaneous Control

00:18.4 Host bridge: Advanced Micro Devices [AMD] Family 10h Processor Link Control

01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation Device 06c4 (rev a3)

01:00.1 Audio device: nVidia Corporation GF100 High Definition Audio Controller (rev a1)

02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR8131 Gigabit Ethernet (rev c0)

03:05.0 Ethernet controller: Atheros Communications Inc. AR5212/AR5213 Wireless Network Adapter (rev 01)

name of display: :0.0

display: :0  screen: 0

direct rendering: Yes

server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation

server glx version string: 1.4

server glx extensions:

GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, 

GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGI_swap_control, 

GLX_EXT_swap_control, GLX_EXT_swap_control_tear, 

GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_ARB_create_context, 

GLX_ARB_create_context_profile, GLX_EXT_create_context_es_profile, 

GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile, GLX_ARB_create_context_robustness, 

GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_NV_float_buffer, GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float, 

GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GLX_NV_multisample_coverage

client glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation

client glx version string: 1.4

client glx extensions:

GLX_ARB_get_proc_address, GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_EXT_visual_info, 

GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_EXT_import_context, GLX_SGI_video_sync, 

GLX_NV_swap_group, GLX_NV_video_out, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, 

GLX_SGI_swap_control, GLX_EXT_swap_control, GLX_EXT_swap_control_tear, 

GLX_NV_float_buffer, GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float, 

GLX_EXT_fbconfig_packed_float, GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, 

GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GLX_NV_present_video, GLX_NV_copy_image, 

GLX_NV_multisample_coverage, GLX_NV_video_capture, 

GLX_EXT_create_context_es_profile, GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile, 

GLX_ARB_create_context_robustness

GLX version: 1.4

GLX extensions:

GLX_EXT_visual_info, GLX_EXT_visual_rating, GLX_SGIX_fbconfig, 

GLX_SGIX_pbuffer, GLX_SGI_video_sync, GLX_SGI_swap_control, 

GLX_EXT_swap_control, GLX_EXT_swap_control_tear, 

GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap, GLX_ARB_create_context, 

GLX_ARB_create_context_profile, GLX_EXT_create_context_es_profile, 

GLX_EXT_create_context_es2_profile, GLX_ARB_create_context_robustness, 

GLX_ARB_multisample, GLX_NV_float_buffer, GLX_ARB_fbconfig_float, 

GLX_EXT_framebuffer_sRGB, GLX_NV_multisample_coverage, 

GLX_ARB_get_proc_address

OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation

OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 465/PCIe/SSE2

OpenGL version string: 4.3.0 NVIDIA 310.32

OpenGL shading language version string: 4.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler

OpenGL extensions:

GL_AMD_multi_draw_indirect, GL_ARB_arrays_of_arrays, GL_ARB_base_instance, 

GL_ARB_blend_func_extended, GL_ARB_clear_buffer_object, 

GL_ARB_color_buffer_float, GL_ARB_compatibility, 

GL_ARB_compressed_texture_pixel_storage, GL_ARB_conservative_depth, 

GL_ARB_compute_shader, GL_ARB_copy_buffer, GL_ARB_copy_image, 

GL_ARB_debug_output, GL_ARB_depth_buffer_float, GL_ARB_depth_clamp, 

GL_ARB_depth_texture, GL_ARB_draw_buffers, GL_ARB_draw_buffers_blend, 

GL_ARB_draw_indirect, GL_ARB_draw_elements_base_vertex, 

GL_ARB_draw_instanced, GL_ARB_ES2_compatibility, GL_ARB_ES3_compatibility, 

GL_ARB_explicit_attrib_location, GL_ARB_explicit_uniform_location, 

GL_ARB_fragment_coord_conventions, GL_ARB_fragment_layer_viewport, 

GL_ARB_fragment_program, GL_ARB_fragment_program_shadow, 

GL_ARB_fragment_shader, GL_ARB_framebuffer_no_attachments, 

GL_ARB_framebuffer_object, GL_ARB_framebuffer_sRGB, 

GL_ARB_geometry_shader4, GL_ARB_get_program_binary, GL_ARB_gpu_shader5, 

GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_ARB_half_float_vertex, 

GL_ARB_imaging, GL_ARB_instanced_arrays, GL_ARB_internalformat_query, 

GL_ARB_internalformat_query2, GL_ARB_invalidate_subdata, 

GL_ARB_map_buffer_alignment, GL_ARB_map_buffer_range, 

GL_ARB_multi_draw_indirect, GL_ARB_multisample, GL_ARB_multitexture, 

GL_ARB_occlusion_query, GL_ARB_occlusion_query2, 

GL_ARB_pixel_buffer_object, GL_ARB_point_parameters, GL_ARB_point_sprite, 

GL_ARB_program_interface_query, GL_ARB_provoking_vertex, 

GL_ARB_robust_buffer_access_behavior, GL_ARB_robustness, 

GL_ARB_sample_shading, GL_ARB_sampler_objects, GL_ARB_seamless_cube_map, 

GL_ARB_separate_shader_objects, GL_ARB_shader_atomic_counters, 

GL_ARB_shader_bit_encoding, GL_ARB_shader_image_load_store, 

GL_ARB_shader_image_size, GL_ARB_shader_objects, GL_ARB_shader_precision, 

GL_ARB_shader_storage_buffer_object, GL_ARB_shader_subroutine, 

GL_ARB_shader_texture_lod, GL_ARB_shading_language_100, 

GL_ARB_shading_language_420pack, GL_ARB_shading_language_include, 

GL_ARB_shading_language_packing, GL_ARB_shadow, GL_ARB_stencil_texturing, 

GL_ARB_sync, GL_ARB_tessellation_shader, GL_ARB_texture_border_clamp, 

GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object, GL_ARB_texture_buffer_object_rgb32, 

GL_ARB_texture_buffer_range, GL_ARB_texture_compression, 

GL_ARB_texture_compression_bptc, GL_ARB_texture_compression_rgtc, 

GL_ARB_texture_cube_map, GL_ARB_texture_cube_map_array, 

GL_ARB_texture_env_add, GL_ARB_texture_env_combine, 

GL_ARB_texture_env_crossbar, GL_ARB_texture_env_dot3, 

GL_ARB_texture_float, GL_ARB_texture_gather, 

need more characters for more of glxinfo

You clearly need libtxc_dxtn. There's no S3TC support without it.

No, not true, if the hardware supports it then you generally don't need software support. However, I installed libtxc_dxtn but it made no difference.

Not working for me, either. The screen goes blank for a while (suspiciously long for my SSD-based system, 20+ seconds), then a skinned mouse cursor appears, and a few times I've even gotten a "Loading" animation in the upper right corner, but then I'm immediately dumped back to the desktop.

System: Mint 13/Maya, 64-bit, Intel HD4000 graphics.

Same thing happens whether I run from w/in Steam or in the terminal. For the latter (whether I try run_game.sh or ./Cave.bin.x86), I get:

[user]@host ~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/TheCave $ ./run_game.sh 

dlopen failed trying to load:

/home/[user]/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steamclient.sowith error:

libtier0_s.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

[s_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; Sys_LoadModule failed to load: /home/[user]/.local/share/Steam/ubuntu12_32/steamclient.so

[s_API FAIL] SteamAPI_Init() failed; unable to locate a running instance of Steam, or a local steamclient.dll.

./run_game.sh: line 26:  4041 Segmentation fault      ./Cave.bin.x86

This *seems* like it should be easily resolvable, but I haven't been able to figure out how. Anyone have any ideas?

If not, I'm sure there will be a fix in some update down the road! :) At least, I hope so!

Finally, a big thank you to the DF folks for making the effort to support Linux.

Wow, it's working and it's fun!

Only one question... it seems to be pushing my Intel HD 4000 GPU pretty hard (skipped frames in a bad way, for example during the first cutscene, which I won't spoil). I'm running a quad-core Ivy Bridge, 2.3GHz (CPU is doing fine I think), with 4GB RAM.

Any tips on graphics settings to maximize my framerate? I turned off FSAA/SSAA and the "High Quality Effects" (or similar name, forgive me), but nothing else. It seemed to help. Tomorrow I'll just turn everything off, but I figured a DF'er might know this without me spending a bunch of time trial-and-error-ing :-)

My native resolution on this laptop is pretty small, 1366x768.

Thanks!!

@Mr. Jaggers: Which Distro and which Kernel do you use? Intel drivers are only good with the latest release of Xorg and Kernel 3.8 - still not the same power like in Windows but already better.

If you use an Ubuntu based Distro you could use the ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa to update your graphics driver. But be aware: It will only give you a real performance boost with Kernel 3.8 and is still experimental - so it may brake your system.

Also better driver, but also only good with 3.8 are in this ppa: ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

They are not as shiny as the ones above but are tested and may work more stable.

No, not true, if the hardware supports it then you generally don't need software support. However, I installed libtxc_dxtn but it made no difference.

Yes, it is true! Due to license problems compression is not activated by default in the free xorg Intel driver. Search for instructions how to do it yourself please, I just know german Wikis about that.

If you use an Ubuntu based Distro you could use the ppa:xorg-edgers/ppa to update your graphics driver. But be aware: It will only give you a real performance boost with Kernel 3.8 and is still experimental - so it may brake your system.

Yea, be especially careful using this PPA for drivers & kernels. I've had it break my systems in the past. :-(

need more characters for more of glxinfo

Might be better to use a pastebin (Ubuntu has one) for posting glxinfo or any other other huge output from shell.

One quick question: Is the Linux port multilingual?

The Steam page of The Cave says so (but still it doesn't show linux support, so I don't know if I should trust it) I have set the language in Steam to Spanish, but the text of the game is still in English. Any thoughts?

Is there joystick support for The Cave under Linux?

I just started it up and it didn't detect the gamepad.

But when I loaded up Bastion, it did. So I'm sure it's not Steam or my installation.

But when I loaded up Bastion, it did. So I'm sure it's not Steam or my installation.

It works fine with joystick. I'm playing it under Arch Linux 64 bit with an original wired xbox 360 controller. Isn't the game supposed to have could sync enabled? Doesn't seem to sync anything up when I exit the game. Trine 2 syncs up just fine.

It works fine with joystick. I'm playing it under Arch Linux 64 bit with an original wired xbox 360 controller. Isn't the game supposed to have could sync enabled? Doesn't seem to sync anything up when I exit the game. Trine 2 syncs up just fine.

OK, I have a Logitech F310.

It works using jstest-gtk. It was initially being found as /dev/js1 instead of /dev/js0, but that wasn't the problem once I switched these.

I am using Ubuntu 12.10 and Steam (64-bit) from Ubuntu repos.

Will give a try w/ Steam i386 from valve itself.

EDIT:

No Dice.

I've seen other people in the Steam discussion forums where the game pad does not work.

http://steamcommunity.com/app/221810/discussions/0/846943514210019817/#p6

One quick question: Is the Linux port multilingual?

The Steam page of The Cave says so (but still it doesn't show linux support, so I don't know if I should trust it) I have set the language in Steam to Spanish, but the text of the game is still in English. Any thoughts?

Ok, just change the Language.cfg which is located here:

your Steam Apps/common/TheCave/Data/Config/Language .cfg

Just replace it with the language you desire and it works just fine:

language = 'enUS'

Found this on the Steam forums:

My Logitech F710 is working now after some editing!

Extract your Gamepad from the config.vdf file in Steam after you configure the controller in Big Picture Mode. (~/.steam/steam/config/config.vdf)

Them go to:

~/.local/share/Steam/SteamApps/common/TheCave/Data/Config/SDLGamepad.config

and add your Gamepad information at the end of the file.

Example for my Gamepad:

#Logitech F710 Gamepad

030000006d0400001fc2000005030000,Logitech A710,a:b0,b:b1,y:b3,x:b2,start:b7,guide:b8,back:b6,leftstick:b9,rightstick:b10,leftshoulder:b4,rightshoulder:b5,dpup:h0.1,dpleft:h0.8,dpdown:h0.4,dpright:h0.2,leftx:a0,lefty:a1,rightx:a3,righty:a4,lefttrigger:a2,righttrigger:a5

It worked after some fidling.

Here is my config for the F310...

030000006d0400001dc2000014400000,Generic X-Box pad,a:b0,b:b1,x:b2,y:b3,start:b7,back:b6,guide:b8,leftstick:b9,rightstick:b10,leftshoulder:b4,rightshoulder:b5,dpup:h0.1,dpleft:h0.8,dpdown:h0.4,dpright:h0.2,leftx:a0,lefty:a1,rightx:a3,righty:a4,lefttrigger:a2,righttrigger:a5,

Yes, it is true! Due to license problems compression is not activated by default in the free xorg Intel driver. Search for instructions how to do it yourself please, I just know german Wikis about that.

You're right, I have this set:

in my ~/.drirc.

OK! I have it working now, with reasonably good performance when I turn off most of the graphics bling (not great, but definitely playable).

I eventually worked out that my experiments with different versions of Mesa were pointless because Cave is a 32-bit binary and I'd built 64-bit...

Now that I have a 32-bit build of mesa-9.1-rc2 with floating point texture formats enabled (which I think is the default, but I enabled them explicitly), it all works nicely.

What's more, all the Amnesia Fortnight prototypes work under Wine as well!

Bah, I always forget about the character limit. Send any glxinfo dumps to support AT doublefine DOT com so that we can look at the full version. At least for the people that haven't solved their own problems (Best part of you linux guys is you're all so good at supporting yourselves =D)

Bah, I always forget about the character limit. Send any glxinfo dumps to support AT doublefine DOT com so that we can look at the full version. At least for the people that haven't solved their own problems (Best part of you linux guys is you're all so good at supporting yourselves =D)

slackware64 14.0, 3.8.0-final, nvidia gtx 465 with 310.32, alsa

no sound at all, and softlocks upon exit attempt

glxinfo: http://pastebin.com/DfPzuXVA

Wow, it's working and it's fun!

Only one question... it seems to be pushing my Intel HD 4000 GPU pretty hard (skipped frames in a bad way, for example during the first cutscene, which I won't spoil). I'm running a quad-core Ivy Bridge, 2.3GHz (CPU is doing fine I think), with 4GB RAM.

Any tips on graphics settings to maximize my framerate? I turned off FSAA/SSAA and the "High Quality Effects" (or similar name, forgive me), but nothing else. It seemed to help. Tomorrow I'll just turn everything off, but I figured a DF'er might know this without me spending a bunch of time trial-and-error-ing :-)

My native resolution on this laptop is pretty small, 1366x768.

Thanks!!

I'm having the same issue; the game works fine, but it's skipping frames. When I play the game in Windows, the framerate is great, with all the visuals left at their default setting. In Linux I disabled everything in the Visuals menu and it's still skipping frames. It must be GPU-bound because my CPU usage is pretty low.

I have an Intel Core i5-3317U dual core with HD 4000 graphics, 8 GB of gaming RAM (the lower latency improves IGP performance).

Running Ubuntu 12.04, latest updates, Intel graphics from ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates

My guess is the Intel graphics drivers for Linux just aren't as optimized as the ones for Windows...

Here's my glxinfo in case it's helpful:

http://pastebin.com/hTFfDVpa

Will the game take part in the Linux Sales? Would be nice just to hear: "yes", "no", "we'll see" instead of nothing ...

Thanks! ;)

Honestly no idea, but I'll ask people more in the know. I have a feeling nobody's answered since that's one of the things that we have to coordinate with Sega.

Any news for me Justin? ;)