Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
buckysrevenge

... and on Linux, too!

We're now planning on Tuesday, February 19th, being the release date for the Linux version of The Cave.

Thanks for the very specific date! But, this is the grumpiest you've sounded on the thread so far... cheer up, buddy!

Most of us have already bought it and just want to play. It's going to be awesome! A bit of firm poking and light sarcasm are part and parcel to the madness that sets in while avoiding spoilers for protracted periods of time :-)

If the password for the beta build were to be 'leaked'. I wouldn't complain...

EDIT: Just noticed the beta build has been removed from Steam. So it wouldn't help.

We're now planning on Tuesday, February 19th, being the release date for the Linux version of The Cave.

hope it will be part of the steam linux sale :cheese: at -75% :coolsmile:

Thanks for the very specific date! But, this is the grumpiest you've sounded on the thread so far... cheer up, buddy!

Most of us have already bought it and just want to play. It's going to be awesome! A bit of firm poking and light sarcasm are part and parcel to the madness that sets in while avoiding spoilers for protracted periods of time :-)

Haha if I sounded grumpy it was because I'd been in bed ill for a few days. Also, there's only 5 days between the 14th and the 19th. You've got to have at least seven days in between to be a different week! Heck, there's a three day weekend in there too!

Fight the power! Decide your own calendar system! something something anarchy something something fire rah rah you get my point. :)

The Cave is now taunting me. I can attempt to install it through Steam for Linux, after agreeing to a EULA from Sega (can it be binding if I have no intention of reading it?), but the installation fails to give me an executable. The installation does the trick where it completes instantly. I've seen that numerous times with games on Steam for Linux... but they've all been fixed eventually. Getting there!

The Cave is now taunting me. I can attempt to install it through Steam for Linux, after agreeing to a EULA from Sega (can it be binding if I have no intention of reading it?), but the installation fails to give me an executable. The installation does the trick where it completes instantly. I've seen that numerous times with games on Steam for Linux... but they've all been fixed eventually. Getting there!

Serious? Just wait for the launch tomorrow!7

The Steam installer still doesn't work for me. My last post was just rambling about the weird state the game is in on Steam. I'm seen it happen to multiple games on Steam for Linux. Maybe that's because the game is in beta on Steam?

I hope they post an official-ish update when its available, though I don't recall an official-ish notification of it being late either. cRaZy-bisCuiT, you may be able to grab it in the Steam for Linux sale, too - good luck!

Needless to say, I'm disappointed Double Fine didn't correct the Linux release date in their announcements, way back when the dates were announced for every platform. It also turns out I probably shouldn't have pre-ordered it, since it will probably be on sale when it comes out. How topical. On the other hand, the amount that I'm looking forward to playing pretty much drowns out my negativity.

My guess someone has to click on a button somewhere at DF HQ, which probably means the game won't be available for another few hours (I would guess 9-ish PST).

My guess someone has to click on a button somewhere at DF HQ, which probably means the game won't be available for another few hours (I would guess 9-ish PST).

Let's see what's happening. In germany it's 4:15 p.m. already.

Restarted Steam a bazillion times and Removed local files and reinstalled. No profit.

I'm a sad penguin. Another day without playing The Cave. I'm going to bed, hopefully tomorrow I will get some good news.

Hmmm, not loading. I get a blank screen then I return to Steam. Loading from a terminal shows a bunch of messages, the most obviously odd is "Attempting to use a Windows only path root on non-Windows platform for game 221810". I noticed that Cave.bin.x86 and run_game.sh weren't executable, but chmod +x didn't make a difference.

EDIT: The other main message is "(steam:25554): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent."

Hmmm, not loading. I get a blank screen then I return to Steam. Loading from a terminal shows a bunch of messages, the most obviously odd is "Attempting to use a Windows only path root on non-Windows platform for game 221810". I noticed that Cave.bin.x86 and run_game.sh weren't executable, but chmod +x didn't make a difference.

Have you restarted steam since we fixed it?

Will the game take part in the Linux Sales? Would be nice just to hear: "yes", "no", "we'll see" instead of nothing ...

Thanks! ;)

Honestly no idea, but I'll ask people more in the know. I have a feeling nobody's answered since that's one of the things that we have to coordinate with Sega.

Will the game take part in the Linux Sales? Would be nice just to hear: "yes", "no", "we'll see" instead of nothing ...

Thanks! ;)

Honestly no idea, but I'll ask people more in the know. I have a feeling nobody's answered since that's one of the things that we have to coordinate with Sega.

Okay thanks, please get back to me before the 21. :)

Have you restarted steam since we fixed it?

The whole game appears to have downloaded successfully, I verified the game cache. This is the full message I get in the terminal when trying to launch the game:

Failed to load installscript /home/pablo/Steam/SteamApps/common/TheCave/installscript.vdf

Attempting to use a Windows only path root on non-Windows platform for game 221810

Attempting to use a Windows only path root on non-Windows platform for game 221810

Game update: AppID 221810 "The Cave", ProcID 26288, IP 0.0.0.0:0

(steam:26185): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.

(steam:26185): LIBDBUSMENU-GLIB-WARNING **: Trying to remove a child that doesn't believe we're it's parent.

saving roaming config store to 'sharedconfig.vdf'

roaming config store 2 saved successfully

Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 221810

Steam_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561197970926778 [API loaded no]

Segmentation fault (core dumped)

Game removed: AppID 221810 "The Cave", ProcID 26289 

saving roaming config store to 'sharedconfig.vdf'

roaming config store 2 saved successfully

Sign in to follow this