Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
WholeFnShow

The Cave and Point n' Click

Hey everyone,

I thought I read somewhere that the PC version of the game would support point n' click or have a point n' click mode. I did a quick search on google, but came up empty, so I figured I'd come here. Is this true? Thanks for any replies and I can't wait to play this.

Ron Gilbert was talking about playing it completely with the mouse did ask him on twitter though got no answer how they handle the jumps with mouse control.

I've heard that it can be played mostly, if not completely, with the mouse. Click somewhere, the character will move there. Click on something, the character will interact with it. The only thing I'm not sure of is how jumps are handled (maybe with right click? Or maybe the characters will automatically attempt to jump when they reach a ledge?).

Okay, cool. Thank you both for the info. I was basically debating whether I wanted to get it for the Wii U, PS3, or just play it on Steam. Being able to play it a day earlier is appealing, but it might be worth the wait to play with a mouse.

I would be surprised if the game will be steerable in a convincing way via point&click;. Normally this also needs the proper level design. With a joystick direct control steering you can travell larger distances a lot better than by a mouse (point&click;.) On the other side you can f.e. explore and manipulate a scene better with a mouse.

After all they got SEGA as a publisher and whilst SEGA is known for a number of great games (from Zaxxon, Outrun, ... up to The Cave ;O) they aren't famous for making point&click; adventures. This plus that the console market is quite strong in the USA, plus if Ron Gilbert had the idea before Maniac Mansion (it was the time of joysticks, jump&runs; and more action oriented games), might be the main reasons why The Cave might be more a platform adventure.

I'll take it just the way it is and i'm very much looking forward to it. :o)

But i don't believe into that steering your character by joystick/gamepad/direct control enhances your adventure gaming experience or keeps your brain busy in a superior way. Actually a large part of the fun of an adventure can be to walk away from your computer, thinking about possible solutions for a given problem and then trying out a couple of ideas you came up with once you return. You can create a different kind of gameplay/feeling with a controller though. Gamepad steering is a method which comes with certain benefits (direct control, easier camera manipulation, more action, etc.) but also with certain drawbacks (less relaxed gaming experience, not so good at exploring and manipulating a scene, less aquarium effect and so on).

I suspect that deep down in their hearts most people would have preferred a point&click; adventure from Ron Gilbert but let's just give it a chance. I also had a lot of fun with Psychonauts which mostly (a few levels weren't this well balanced) was a fantastic game and which still felt like an adventure to me. And such a type of game still can come with a strong focus on characters, humour and story. Although whilst playing, i also was wondering how Psychonauts would feel like as a point&click; adventure. It could have saved you some of the more annoying jumping&running; around and focused more on the riddles to solve but it also would have lacked some of the action fun, trying to get to certain positions or exploring a level from different angles.

So, it just was fine the way it was and i suspect you can feel the same about The Cave.

[btw., no idea what's triggering the ;]

Being able to play a game with the mouse and designing a game to be best played with a mouse are two different things.

F.e. i wouldn't have dared offering a mouse steering like in Tales of Monkey Island for a final product.

But let's just wait and see how it will feel like, five days left. :o)

After all they got SEGA as a publisher and whilst SEGA is known for a number of great games ... they aren't famous for making point&click; adventures.

After all they got Ron Gilbert as a project leader and whilst Ron Gilbert is known for a number of great games ... they aren't not famous for making point&click; adventures.

If I was Ron, I would have made traversal 'point-click and hold'. It's hard to explain, but you click and hold the mouse button and the character moves in that direction, then you can move the mouse along with the camera and the character will keep on moving. Does that make sense? Or am I talking gibberish?

Sign in to follow this