Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
geoffpaulsen

A Side Scroller? Really?

Dang it Ron Gilbert! You know I love you and your work, but I swore I'd never have to time a jumping puzzle again... and that was like 100 jumping timing puzzles ago!

And then there it was... "The Cave". In all of it's beautiful artwork / animation glory. I'm sure it has fun and interesting puzzles. I'm sure it will look so awesome that I'll need to upgrade my video card just to truly appreciate it (that's fine it's about time). I'm sure that I'm only buying this because it's by Ron Gilbert.

Fine.

Double Fine!

The Cave is not a platformer, though it may resemble one in the trailers. There's no jumping puzzles, and they've gone out of their way to make sure that any jump you need to do is very simple. It's an adventure game, with adventure game puzzles, it's just that the presentation and moving around is a bit different.

You can even play the entire game with only a mouse if you wish.

He even said its playable with mouse on twitter though don't know how jumps will be handled.

This reminds of jumping in Ultima 9. Moving the cursor over the landscape, if the cursor turned green and you clicked, the avatar was jumping there. Felt a bit weird in the beginning but you got used to it pretty soon. Hah, the avatar...maybe a french avatar would have been able baking a flûte too.

On rock paper shotgun he said point and click so maybe the character will auto run/jump when you play with mouse.

Why not, if they use some more advanced pathfinding and setup the levels accordingly.

Yeah, I imagine that characters will either auto-jump at ledges, or maybe right click will be used to jump.

Otherwise, The Cave appears to be as much of a platformer as, say, Half-Life 1 was. Perhaps even less so (*cough*Xen*cough*).

Xen *echoing* or why do even outstanding games need one level which sucks.

Sign in to follow this