Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
solamon77

Which version is the "definitive" version?

Does anyone know which version of The Cave is considered the "definitive" version. I'm lucky enough to own every system this game is coming out on and can't decide which one I should go with.

I'm leaning towards the Wii U simply because of it's controller, but if there are reasons to consider the other versions, I'd like to know (ie: is the PC version's graphics much better?). Thanks guys.

They're all supposed to be graphically identical, though I don't know if all versions will run in full HD (The PC one obviously will and it's likely that the Wii-U one will, though don't know about the others). The preferable version will probably come down to controls. You'll get access to mouse-driven point and click controls with the PC version, as well as having the option to use a keyboard or controller, and you can switch characters with the touchscreen on the Wii-U version.

Higher AA/AF might be possible on the PC version (or perhaps could at least be forced through drivers, unless driver-level AA/AF ends up causing crazy corruption), so the PC version might end up looking just a tiny bit nicer than the others.

They're all supposed to be graphically identical, though I don't know if all versions will run in full HD (The PC one obviously will and it's likely that the Wii-U one will, though don't know about the others). The preferable version will probably come down to controls. You'll get access to mouse-driven point and click controls with the PC version, as well as having the option to use a keyboard or controller, and you can switch characters with the touchscreen on the Wii-U version.

Higher AA/AF might be possible on the PC version (or perhaps could at least be forced through drivers, unless driver-level AA/AF ends up causing crazy corruption), so the PC version might end up looking just a tiny bit nicer than the others.

Graphic card forcing is a nono with the bhudda engine all the previous games that gave mayor corruptions.

PC version will be definitive, in the sense that it supports multiple control methods, and supports real 1080p.

I'm going to get it for PC. Seems to be the best platform really. Different resolutions, different control methods, graphics tweaks etc, etc. Can't wait. Looks like a fun game.

I bought it on the Wii U and wish I had bought the PC version instead. It's 720p and has framerate issues on consoles, and the game doesn't make good use of the Wii U gamepad. Also, the Wii remote doesn't emulate any of the mouse options the PC version has.

I bought it on the Wii U and wish I had bought the PC version instead. It's 720p and has framerate issues on consoles, and the game doesn't make good use of the Wii U gamepad. Also, the Wii remote doesn't emulate any of the mouse options the PC version has.

thanks for the update! i don't own a wii-u but i'm sure other appriciate the information.

Wow. Thanks for the heads up. I was almost about to purchase the WiiU version when I read this. I guess developers need a little more time to figure out some of the WiiU's programming eccentricities. I guess I'll be getting the PC version too.

I'm going with PSN because my PC hardware is all falling apart and massively underpowered.

Sign in to follow this