Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vic Romero

Downloading via Steam

Is it possible to download a game released on Steam directly onto a portable HD, then take that portable HD to the computer on which you'd like to play the game to install it? The whole Steam thing is fairly new to me.

"Why?": I won't have the connection to download The Cave directly onto my Mac but I can download onto a HD elsewhere and then transfer the files.

You'd need to have a one-time internet connection, on the host PC or Mac logged into the corresponding account, that's how Steam does, before it let's you in offline mode on a new PC/Mac. Steam uses local files, but the distirubtion works like a cloud, files are synced across PCs, and your products are account bound, not PC pound like other software. You can have infinite PCs with the game installed, but you need interenet once to be able to confirm it's you.

Is your Mac a desktop?

Yep. It's a mac mini.

And the PC laptop I own can support Steam, but isn't near good enough to run the game.

How come you don't have internet on your mac mini? From what I understand it has built in wi-fi and ethernet, surely you use one of those for your PC laptop as well.

They both have wi-fi but I don't have internet at home. I was just considering my options so I can get the game ASAP.

Thanks for the help.

Yeah, in that case you are out of luck, unless you pick up your mini and take it to work, which I'd consider doing honestly.

That's the beauty about having DRM free products, they cause a lot less hassle.

1. Install Steam client.

2. Download the game (via Library). You should be able to choose the directory.

3. Click on "Steam" option in left upper corner and choose Backup and Restore Games.

4. Follow instruction for Backup currently installed programs.

5. On your other device follow step 3 and then choose Restore a previous backup. Follow instructions.

Here is official FAQ.

The client installation is always required. I never tried it, so I don't know if it does support cross-platform backup/restore and it will require online activation of game on your home Mac/PC before switching it to Offline mode.

It does not. You're backing up the windows version. Not having internet access at home is a pretty isolated scenario though. Under normal circumstances, downloading an installer and running it is *more* hassle then clicking install and playing on Steam.

Sign in to follow this