Sign in to follow this  
nicholsonmatt

Tim's Excellent Juice Recipes?

Not a juicer per se, but in the past I've experimented with making protein shakes, paleo concepts, and some other diet ideas. A bit of fat or oil in the shake(dairy being the most obvious, if not the healthiest) goes a long way towards making it feel thick, and it reduces the need to sweeten as well. Knowing your fats isn't emphasized in most dieting, but they're both nutritionally important and a really good way to change flavor.

These days I follow semi-conventional eating, with some notable biases: eggs around breakfast, peanut butter + cereal as the late night snack, vinegar or Metamucil after the really carby meals, a multivitamin and additional D3 every day.

The basic strategy is to introduce more "soft limits" on my appetite, where I naturally stop eating. Each of those practices has some balancing factor to add those limits, usually revolving around slowing down speed of digestion or guaranteeing a certain amount of nutrition.

Also, too much beet and you can't taste the tomato.

For some reason, this line made me smile and laugh. I don't know if it is just the earnestness behind it or what, but I hope someday it'll make it into one of your games, Tim!

Smiles

Only one question remains: Can I juice Girl Scout Thin Mints?

Seriously though, I am beginning the research on this, I like the idea of a detox... and the weight loss would be an added bonus! Is there a way to approximate the juice fast with store-bought juice like V8 or similar? Or is juice-on-demand the absolute way to go?

Mmmmmm.....liquified girl scout thin mints....theres no girl scouts in OZ...i miss those cookies....and butterfingers....ye gods how i miss butterfingers....

I am doing the juice thing too now.

Ever since getting married and being cooked food by someone who cooks tasty things on a consistent basis, AND working the lack of a balanced routine I have through working in games, I've climbed 50 pounds above where men don't have tits.

I now have tits. And I don't like having tits. So I started juicing two days ago and am already down by 4 pounds.

I bought that Nutribullet thing because I liked that it pulverizes cashews and other hard small things so you can get more nutrition and flavor combos in your juices. The only downside is the biggest cup / chamber you get with it is half of what you need for a satiating juice meal, so it's a bit more work, but not nearly as much work as buggering about with a giant bowl trying to make leaves appetizing.

As for recipes, I have a sweet tooth, so breakfast is pretty much liquified dessert (bananas, dates, agave, almond milk, enough kale for nutrient but not enough to screw flavour), and if it's green (lunch / dinner), I'll shove brocoli in for higher protein (it has one of the highest protein counts in greens, along with Kale), and add cherry tomatoes, ginger, garlic, onions, aminos and hot sauce. Shit is TASTY.

Hoping to not get bored of it, and supplementing one day per week as 'fat bastard day' where I eat what I like. Which is not typical, but I'm intrigued to see results of that; whether I crave pizza, burgers and whatever, or if the shock to the system helps.

Hoping to not get bored of it, and supplementing one day per week as 'fat bastard day' where I eat what I like. Which is not typical, but I'm intrigued to see results of that; whether I crave pizza, burgers and whatever, or if the shock to the system helps.

That can work really well for some people! My ladyfriend has "free day saturday" where she eats whatever she wants - it allows her to go out to places that would be tough to eat healthy at during the week and it's had a side effect of making her not actually like the pizza/burgers/fries as much since she definitely feels the "blah" after eating junk for the first time in a week.

Interesting Tim, cheers for sharing.

Just had a superb juice here that I have to share.

It's:

2 apples

2 lemons

1 pear

1/6 of a small honeydew melon

125g of spinach

1/2 a fennel

6 big carrots

a little bit of ginger

It looks like a juice from hell, and it might be, but it's heavenly in taste.

That looks good! I'll have to try it. What kind of taste does fennel add? Kind of... fennely?

Have the Two Player Productions guys been covering this process for the ongoing documentary?

They've been here filming, and got me juicing at my house last week. Who knows if they'll use it in the doc though. They are MYSTERIOUS.

This is awesome, Tim! Glad it's working out for you! I have never regretted getting my act together a few years back and losing 60 pounds. The trick for me was changing my lifestyle to keep it from coming back. Working out, eating properly... I committed to it and just made it a habit. Best of luck, man!

Holy crap, 60 lbs? And those are Canadian lbs, so they're like half-again as heavy, right?

Health alert time!

The story so far: Day 34 of juice fast, down 34 pounds. That's... let me calculate... a pound a day!

Which is great. Except someone sent me this:

http://www.livestrong.com/article/389437-health-risks-of-losing-weight-too-fast/

If you lose weight too fast you'll get gallstones! Says the article.

Pooh-pooh I said, and continued losing weight. But last night I was awoken at 3am by a nagging back pain. Like I had slept in the wrong position and thrown out my back. Tried stretching and asprin but could not get back to sleep. It felt like it was in the middle of the right side of my chest. Felt really weird.

Then I remembered the article, and I looked up where the gallbladder is. Guess what? It's right under the liver, on the right side of the chest.

So of course now I'm convinced I have a gallstone growing inside of me, and I'm going to have to have my gallbladder removed. Which is fine, really, because who needs it? But I don't really want to have a painful gallstone.

I tweet about it this morning, and several people tweet back stuff like, "Yeah, I lost 40 lbs, and then I got a gallstone." Why am I just hearing about this now?

It still hurt when I got to work, but now it felt like the front of my body. So I made an appt with my doctor and went down to see him over lunch. He didn't sound alarmed by my diet at all. He said gallstones are usually caused by the kinds of foods I'm not eating right now (meat, fat) so he didn't think I had a gallstone. But he still scheduled me for an ultrasound.

I'm having that tomorrow, but you know what? The pain is already going away. I feel like such a hypochondriac!

Still, I feel better having checked it out. I would have felt stupid if my exciting juice fast ended up putting me in surgery!

So, that whole thing about seeing a doctor before you start your juice fast? I recommend it.

Also, based on purely speculative, internet-based reasoning, I started taking fish oil pills. Couldn't hurt, right?

I should have my results on Friday. I'll let you know if I'm going to die of gallstones. But you know what? I no longer think I have them.

Health alert time!

The story so far: Day 34 of juice fast, down 34 pounds. That's... let me calculate... a pound a day!

http://www.livestrong.com/article/389437-health-risks-of-losing-weight-too-fast/

Pooh-pooh I said, and continued losing weight. But last night I was awoken at 3am by a nagging back pain. Like I had slept in the wrong position and thrown out my back. Tried stretching and asprin but could not get back to sleep. It felt like it was in the middle of the right side of my chest. Felt really weird.

Then I remembered the article, and I looked up where the gallbladder is. Guess what? It's right under the liver, on the right side of the chest.

So of course now I'm convinced I have a gallstone growing inside of me, and I'm going to have to have my gallbladder removed. Which is fine, really, because who needs it? But I don't really want to have a painful gallstone.

I tweet about it this morning, and several people tweet back stuff like, "Yeah, I lost 40 lbs, and then I got a gallstone." Why am I just hearing about this now?

It still hurt when I got to work, but now it felt like the front of my body. So I made an appt with my doctor and went down to see him over lunch. He didn't sound alarmed by my diet at all. He said gallstones are usually caused by the kinds of foods I'm not eating right now (meat, fat) so he didn't think I had a gallstone. But he still scheduled me for an ultrasound.

I'm having that tomorrow, but you know what? The pain is already going away. I feel like such a hypochondriac!

Still, I feel better having checked it out. I would have felt stupid if my exciting juice fast ended up putting me in surgery!

So, that whole thing about seeing a doctor before you start your juice fast? I recommend it.

Also, based on purely speculative, internet-based reasoning, I started taking fish oil pills. Couldn't hurt, right?

I should have my results on Friday. I'll let you know if I'm going to die of gallstones. But you know what? I no longer think I have them.

My extremely fun experiences with gallstones:

About 5 years ago, I finally put my head down and dieted and exercised and lost a good amount of weight. It was actually the first time in my adult life that I was under 200 lbs, and I was really excited and proud of myself. However I did lose the weight really fast.

Soon after breaking the 200 lbs mark I went out with my friends and decided to celebrate and have a dozen chicken wings (my first fatty meal in a long time). The next morning I woke up in the worst pain of my life. It was an extreme pressure right under my right rib combined with the feeling of an alien trying to claw itself out of my stomach. Imagine that really uncomfortable feeling of when you eat way, way too much food and just feel extremely bloated like you are going to explode, and then multiply that by 100. I was literally insane with pain and could do nothing else but sit on my couch with my head in my hands and pray that it would go away, as nothing I did or ingested made the pain any better, or made me any more comfortable. After suffering for a few hours, I decided to go to the hospital. While in the waiting room, my pain just all of a sudden disappeared (and that is the greatest feeling in the world let me tell ya, the end of a gallbladder attack). I still saw the doctor, and after an ultrasound, they figured out I passed a gallstone.

It turns out that when you have a fatty diet, your liver is used to creating all this bile to help digest the fat. It stores its excess bile in your gallbladder, and when you suddenly stop eating fat (as I did on my new diet), your liver is still producing lots of bile, but it's not using it, and you get gallstones in your gallbladder. When you then all of a sudden eat fat once again, your gallbladder calls upon its reserves to digest that fatty meal, and the pointy and jagged stones come out with it and gets caught in the bile duct, hence the alien clawing sensation. (This might not be 100% medically accurate but it's how I explained it to myself and it makes sense to me).

I have since had 4 or 5 more BIG gallbladder attacks in my life, each as horrible and insanity-inducing as the last. They each lasted about 4-5 hours, and I do not wish them upon my worst enemy.

Since getting health insurance, I decided that my next gallstone attack would be my last, and I had my gallbladder out December 2011. I have read lots of opinions about not getting your gallbladder out, but having been through what I did (I also had about 4 months towards the end where I couldn't eat anything without constant gnawing pain below my right ribs) I do not miss my gallbladder one bit. I would have it out any day of the week again, and twice on Sundays.

I am now looking forward very much to starting this Juice Fast that Tim brought to my attention.

If you are going to get your gallbladder out Tim, just a word of warning what to expect after. I don't know if you've ever had Laparoscopic surgery in your abdomen before, but they blow your belly up with air like a balloon so they can use cameras and instruments to perform the surgery with minimal invasion. It's amazing in that the recovery time is cut to a fraction, but as they cannot fully remove all the air from you, you wake up feeling like you have to rip the biggest and most violent fart of your life for about 3-4 days, but it will not come out. The air slowly dissipates and you eventually feel normal, but you never get that incredibly satisfying blast you feel for those first few days. Just a few pathetic popcorn pops.

I really hope your gallbladder is OK, but if it's not, do not hesitate to rip that sucker right out!

Hope this helps!

Health alert time!

Have you considered consulting with a Registered Dietitian? In my experience they have a lot of knowledge in this field, they come with the scientific knowledge and should be up to date with the effects of various diets on overall health.

They won't replace a doctor check of course if you do have or don't have gallstones or anything else like that, but they may help you sort out what to expect from the current diet based on the latest research (which is better sorted out than what one would usually find on the 'net). Another possible benefit is they can help in keeping the weight, most people bounce back to their previous weight once their special weight-losing diet is over, but maybe you already got this part figured out.

Okay, going back to work.

I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead last year and also got inspired to try the juice diet. I ended up buying a cheapo juicer thinking I didn't want to invest too much at first. That may have been a poor choice as I quickly saw how much wasted fibrous material there was left over, which made me feel guilty and stop using it after a short time.

Are the better juicers (like the Breville) also better at making full use of the fruit/veggies? I just hated throwing out so much seemingly good food.

Better juicers will remove even more fibre, since that's the idea with juice--get all the fibre out so you're left with only the liquid, nutrients, enzymes, and other good stuff. Not that fibre isn't good--just that it isn't generally desired when making juice.

You can always compost the pulp.

And if you're fairly savvy, you can also use it to make certain food things using things like a dehydrator. (Though I probably wouldn't do that with non-organic vegetables and fruits.)

What kind of taste does fennel add? Kind of... fennely?

To me, fennel tastes a bit like liquorice.

Just find some at the store and smell it. It tastes like it smells.

Only one question remains: Can I juice Girl Scout Thin Mints?

Seriously though, I am beginning the research on this, I like the idea of a detox... and the weight loss would be an added bonus! Is there a way to approximate the juice fast with store-bought juice like V8 or similar? Or is juice-on-demand the absolute way to go?

There are some locations in the world that have juice bars that will make up healthy juices for you while you wait, using fresh ingredients.

Most juices sold in stores are pasturised, which means they've been heated to a certain temperature, which doesn't do the enzymes much good.

Fresh juice is full of goodies that you won't really find in pasturised juice. (And if you drink fresh, raw juice then drink pasturised juice, you'll probably notice the difference in both taste and how they both make you feel.)

I've been juice fasting (juice feasting) too, not because overweight but because of other health issues and it's great. I didn't lose any weight at all since I was already on my "ideal" weight. However, for everyone that feels inspired, you need to do research first because you will start to detox and it will scare you if not prepared. Always do research! When you fast, water or juice, the body will start to try to get crap out of the system and if you have a lot of toxins in you, it can be pretty bad. If you feel too sick, you can slow down the process by eating whole fruits. Not hard fruits but the soft ones that doesn't have much fibre in it. There are lots of good books out there on fasting.

To be clear, there's a difference between juice fasting and juice feasting.

From what I understand, the difference is that juice fasting may or may not meet your caloric needs, while juice feasting involves meeting your calorie needs by drinking fresh-made juices. (Though, indeed, determining your caloric needs is another story.)

One thing both have in common is that they're not intended to be long-term diet solutions.

I agree with what you say, though; detoxing has a place, but it's wise to do it intelligently (like everything else, I guess).

I create batches for several days. The amount of wasted food was another annoyance. I switched to this juicer as a result:

But!

Most places I've read said fresh juice only lasts 24 hours, even in a sealed container. I make mine in the morning, bring it to work in a thermos, and drink it throughout the day. The 5:30 glass is definitely different than the 9:00 am glass!

In terms of taste or nutritional value? There's negligible difference in taste compared to a glass fresh out of the juicer, but I keep it all refrigerated at home or the office and it doesn't go bad.

Now I research.

Mostly nutritional value.

You may not notice a taste difference pallet-wise, but if you're fairly sensitive, you may notice a difference in how fresh juice makes you feel.

I believe it has something to do with enzymes, though I'm sure there's more to it than just that (I don't think we've yet discovered all there is to know about our world :) ).

Also, lots of juices will tend to oxidise if you leave them too long.

To be sure, though, stored juice isn't void of benefit; it's not as black and white like that.

The stress of working on my dissertation has led me to eat poorly and quit exercising over the last year. I was at a good, healthy weight before but I have been using my mental stress as an excuse to ignore/abuse my body and the result is that I gained nearly 30 pounds last year.

I looked in the mirror last night as I prepared for bed and decided I have had enough. I recalled reading Tim's juicing success tweets and so a google search later, here I am.

So, I decided to do this. I already have a Vitamix so today I just went out and bought the stuff to make that green juice recipe Tim is using.

I got a big bunch of kollard greens (pretty close to the same thing as Kale and it was readily available), cucumbers, apples, ginger, celery, and lemons so I am ready to start. But I have a couple of questions for whomever wants to address them:

1. Is it better to make smoothies, ie. keep the pulp? My thinking is you lose valuable fiber by straining the excess matter not to mention the waste. What are the pros and cons for pulp vs no pulp?

2. The gallstones story kind of scares me. Maybe I am thinking I should just juice 2 meals and eat 1 sensible one instead?

3. Tim are you using fresh ginger or pickled or powered? I have both fresh and powered available. Do you mince it first? I assume you peel it, but that recipe doesn't say.

4. how many 16 oz glasses of this stuff are you consuming a day?

5. What about coffee? Please tell me I can have coffee. I need coffee. I drink it black.

Thanks, guys.

Looking forward to some brother in arms comaraderie. :)

First juice as meal complete.

I made the Mean Green juice Tim linked to for my first try. It took a damn lot of work washing all those vegetables, drying them, blending them and straining them.

I am going to be completely honest, the taste of that juice could use some improvement, but I know we aren't hear for the taste, so forward march. I have a giant pile of collards to get through. :)

The stress of working on my dissertation has led me to eat poorly and quit exercising over the last year. I was at a good, healthy weight before but I have been using my mental stress as an excuse to ignore/abuse my body and the result is that I gained nearly 30 pounds last year.

I looked in the mirror last night as I prepared for bed and decided I have had enough. I recalled reading Tim's juicing success tweets and so a google search later, here I am.

So, I decided to do this. I already have a Vitamix so today I just went out and bought the stuff to make that green juice recipe Tim is using.

I got a big bunch of kollard greens (pretty close to the same thing as Kale and it was readily available), cucumbers, apples, ginger, celery, and lemons so I am ready to start. But I have a couple of questions for whomever wants to address them:

1. Is it better to make smoothies, ie. keep the pulp? My thinking is you lose valuable fiber by straining the excess matter not to mention the waste. What are the pros and cons for pulp vs no pulp?

2. The gallstones story kind of scares me. Maybe I am thinking I should just juice 2 meals and eat 1 sensible one instead?

3. Tim are you using fresh ginger or pickled or powered? I have both fresh and powered available. Do you mince it first? I assume you peel it, but that recipe doesn't say.

5. What about coffee? Please tell me I can have coffee. I need coffee. I drink it black.

Thanks, guys.

Looking forward to some brother in arms comaraderie. :)

You may want to do some more research on the subject.

You can still juice or eat the food you bought.

Lots of people seem eager to get into juice fasting or juice feasting, but I feel these are things to be done with a certain degree of understanding and the appropriate amount of support (especially if you're juice fasting instead of juice feasting, though both have potential to be fairly transformative).

Think of it like this: you wouldn't necessarily go out and run a marathon without any preparation or prior training. Likewise, when it comes to making dietary changes it helps to sort of start from where you are and determine what's appropriate for you (with or without the help of a qualified health professional, such as a naturopath, nutritionist, or doctor).

You can certainly explore and experiment, but indeed, it's wise to do so with a certain amount of self-responsibility and understanding.

If I was going to juice ginger, I'd ideally juice fresh ginger and may leave the skin on if it's organic (which is just my preference; what you do is up to you).

Keep in mind this is just some general info; I'm not a doctor, nutritionist, or naturopath. If you want advice and support tailored specifically to you, consider seeing someone with the appropriate qualifications.

I am going to be completely honest, the taste of that juice could use some improvement, but I know we aren't hear for the taste, so forward march.

Juice (even green juice) can taste good.

Health alert time!

Pooh-pooh I said, and continued losing weight. But last night I was awoken at 3am by a nagging back pain. ...

I hope results are okay.

By the way, I finally found alternative to Tuscan cabbage (it isn't sold here) - savoy cabbage - and Mean Green is delicious. :3

I'm not a scientist (believe it or not) but I'm not so sure about this idea that juicing destroys fiber. Fiber in food is a microscopic thing, not actual fiber you can see like the name implies. It's not the string-fibers in a stalk of celery. It's the nondigestible carbohydrates and lignin that are intrinsic and intact in plants. (Thanks, Wikipedia!) So I'm not so sure juicing really does destroy fiber.

That said, pulp can't be bad for you, can it? But it can make the juice feel gritty, grainy, and taste bitter. So it's more of a personal taste decision I think.

Sounds like a reasonable compromise.

Fresh. I do peel it. Sometimes with a peeler, sometimes I scrape it off with a spoon, or if I'm in a hurry I hack it off with a knife.

I drink about five pint glasses a day. Reboot with Joe says six. I drink one in the morning, carry a thermos to work that has about three glasses in it, then have one or two more at home. I tend to drink the green juice at work and the tomato variety for dinner.

I gave it up, I don't really know why, but that's what Joe did in the movie. And it gave me a huge headache the first day. But you know what? I have more energy in the afternoons now, and don't really miss it at all.

Congratulations on starting the reboot/fast/diet thing! Let me know how it goes!

First juice as meal complete.

I made the Mean Green juice Tim linked to for my first try. It took a damn lot of work washing all those vegetables, drying them, blending them and straining them.

I am going to be completely honest, the taste of that juice could use some improvement, but I know we aren't hear for the taste, so forward march. I have a giant pile of collards to get through. :)

What's with all the drying? The veggies can be wet. And really I only wash the leafy stuff like spinach, basil, and the insides of celery. The rest of it I maybe rinse for a second, but I'm not too worried about it.

And if you get a juicer instead of a blender you don't need to strain. Also it might take out the bitter skins that are making your juice taste weird. Are you peeling your cukes, for example? A juicer will separate out the skins and keep it out of your juice, also apple seeds, lemon pith, etc.

I like the word pith.

So I had the ultrasound, and the tech said my gallbladder "didn't look happy." She saw some "sludge" and "gravel" in it. Yikes.

Went for my followup with the doctor today and he said I got some stones in there! Yep.

But he couldn't say for sure if they came from the diet, or just came from being overweight for so long.

Also, my liver is mildly inflamed. He really didn't know what was causing that, but when you're over weight you can get a "fatty liver" which is inflamed.

So did the diet cause this, or did my general fat-assedness cause it? And how can I find out?

And if the diet caused this, could it have been prevented by inserting some fat back into my diet?

So many mysteries.

Well, I'm heading off to consult with a surgeon to see if it's time to rip out the old GB or just feed it positive vibes instead.

Either way, I'm still juice fasting. 38 days in, 36 lbs down. I refuse to learn my lesson! Suck it, gallbladder!

my aunt has this old juicer she isn't using and i was considering borrowing it to try this juicing thing. now i saunter back into this thread and see all this talk about gallstones and inflamed livers and i'm like "whoa, back to the cheetos!" maybe i'll let you be the guinea pig first

:P

So did the diet cause this, or did my general fat-assedness cause it? And how can I find out?

And if the diet caused this, could it have been prevented by inserting some fat back into my diet?

Probably the combination. Rapid weight loss w/ low fat (low bile flow and raised ldl) + raised insulin (bile saturation). Fructose (concentrated, lacking fiber) gives the liver a hard time too. Would need food + tests before the fast for comparison to know exactly how juicing contributed.

Either way, I'm still juice fasting. 38 days in, 36 lbs down. I refuse to learn my lesson! Suck it, gallbladder!

Whoa... wait, a pound per day? Is that even physically possible? A pound of fat should contain about 4 086 kcal (assuming 100 grams = 900 kcal, 1 pound = 454 grams) so you would need to have a daily calorie deficit of 4 086 to burn that much fat! One could maybe achieve that by eating absolutely nothing and being quite active during the day... I don't doubt that's what you're measuring, but I'm guessing a chunk of that has to be water and stuff.

...did I just write a post contemplating Tim Schafer's bodily fluids? Oh, Internet.

FZa0fCZ.png

Tim man from what other members who are prolly that much more informed than I am have said, I think it's awesome you're getting health(ier) and losing some weight, but keep in mind that it's also important to stock up on essential nutrients, from vitamins and minerals to protein and even the healthier forms of fat and cholesterol. I'm no dietician, but I'm currently losing weight even tho I drink Pepsi all day and have Baconators and poutines. Yeah it's not healthy, but I barely have one meal a day, and having a faster metabolism (recently went off a medication that's sped it up again, because as a kid it was DAMN fast) I'm losing weight like it's going out of style. You can still enjoy the good stuff in moderation, and you can still also supplement that with healthy juicing experiments like you've been doing. But right now your system's in shock because it's like "Whoah I used to eat so much and now I'm essentially on a cleansing diet in the purest sense. WTF is my owner Tim doing to me?" Cook a rib-eye steak or treat yourself to a bacon-cheese burger (preferably leaner and homemade, much healthier than the Wendy's/Burger King alternatives). Have sushi - healthy but tasty. If you don't want the epic one-meal-a-day Pepsi-poutine diet, at least add on some actual food calories - I know you're really excited about what's working for you, but if your liver, kidneys and whatever are in protest, might want to supplement the juicing with some meat/etc.

Obviously I'm not at that level of decrypted age and worry, so I don't know how much I'd blame on the diet and your choices to get better.

But if it were me I'd look at your gut level ITS THE DIET! Reaction as secret bad vibes you're sending yourself to give you a fall back to quit.

On the science side of it who the heck knows, and if I knew I'd obviously have way too much personal information on you.

Also that mole no ones seen? Totally Abe Lincoln with a bat attacking his ear.

If you stress that much about something you read, and then went panicked to your doctor, maybe stress could be an issue. If you read that and said ho hum...maybe this is what that is and asked in a reasonable manner I'd still say stress could be an issue. I don't stress much but I don't have ppls lively hoods hanging off my actions either eh!

Also I don't know if you'd want to remove it in the first place, what exactly does having stones in there do?