Sign in to follow this  
nicholsonmatt

Tim's Excellent Juice Recipes?

Yep,

a) It's absolutely possible to get all amino acids and every other nutrient (even B12, though that's a bit tricky) from a completely vegan diet.

and

b) It's generally speaking easier to do that with a mixed/lacto-ovo diet -- you don't have to pay as much attention to what you're eating.

This isn't an argument for or against veganism, these are just the facts and people still get them wrong sometimes.

Yep,

a) It's absolutely possible to get all amino acids and every other nutrient (even B12, though that's a bit tricky) from a completely vegan diet.

and

b) It's generally speaking easier to do that with a mixed/lacto-ovo diet -- you don't have to pay as much attention to what you're eating.

This isn't an argument for or against veganism, these are just the facts and people still get them wrong sometimes.

You can get all of your B vitamins from yeast, which are more like single celled fungi than animals.

He did mention he's adding some probiotics in the mix though.

He did mention he's adding some probiotics in the mix though.

Probiotics won't help you if you're not your flora the foods they "like". It's a bit like lactose intolerance- you don't get sick because your gut flora needs to be replenished, you get sick because suddenly they've gotten access to a large amount of something they can metabolize into CO2 and other byproducts, and those are what make you sick.

His gut flora aren't going to like that diet. >X^P

So did you mean this as a good thing or a bad thing? :) Like you said, lactose is a problem because you can't use it yourself (unless you're a lactose-tolerant mutant).

His gut flora aren't going to like that diet. >X^P

So did you mean this as a good thing or a bad thing? :) Like you said, lactose is a problem because you can't use it yourself (unless you're a lactose-tolerant mutant).

You need your digestive tract flora to keep you healthy- they help you to break down organic molecules you can't process on your own and, in exchange for food and a space to live, give you certain vital nutrients in the form of waste product. They also prevent other, potentially lethal microbes from colonizing your digestive tract when you eat. They're one of the many, many reasons its a terrible idea to take broad spectrum antibiotics when you don't need them.*

*And when you do need them, you need to finish the entire regiment.

So I watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" and I was inspired by Tim's transformation. I was about to try it........till Tim started posting about Gall stones. I'd really like to avoid gall stones. Now I am thinking about maybe juicing for two meals a day while eating a sensible third like another poster recommended. I think its a great idea to visit your doctor before embarking on this plan. (especially if you have a preexisting condition like me -thyroid disease-)

I'm going to buy a juicer this weekend and start next week!

You should be fine regarding gall stones if you keep some fat in your diet. Which you should do anyway. Maybe some coconut oil or you could crush nuts in there? The protein in them wouldn't hurt either.

Disclaimer: I'm just talking out of my ass, I'm not an expert in anything.

Hey dudes! I started juicing! Its great! My juicing situation: For bfest I have a mixture of coconut & almond milk with a dash of cinnamon. For lunch I have either my 'green' juice or 'red' juice along side a handful of nuts if I feel that I need it. For dinner I have something sensible and protein/veggie heavy. No starchy carbs unless they are gluten-free and in a small portion. Throughout the day, I drink an insane amount of water. (My doctor was totally cool with this plan)

I'd totally rather be eating cheesy pizza or lasagna, but the red juice which is kinda like Tim's evening juice (Beet, Tomato, Red pepper, carrots, celery, spinach, onion, and garlic) is tasty and filling.

Note to Tim: If you add green pepper, jalapeno, and a dash of cumin - it tastes like a burrito.

Tim, not sure if you found this green juice yet - it sounds weird at first, but I really love this one.

Blue Green Lemonade

3 stalks kale

1 cucumber

2 pears (I prefer D'anjou)

1/2 cup blueberries (can go up to 1 cup)

1 lemon, peeled

Enjoy!

Here is the full story of my juice adventure to date!

I started the juice diet on New Years day, and did it strictly for 30 days and lost 30 lbs. Which was awesome!

Then I did it with a little food mixed in and lost 10 lbs the next 30 days. Which was okay.

Then I did a plan where I juiced 2 meals a day and ate one meal, and I have lost ZERO lbs in 90 days! Which SUCKS!

Just one meal a day and I'm flat-lining. Better than gaining, but... So I went back on a strict juice diet which was interrupted by two weeks of vacation where I ate normally (or more honestly, I ate with the gusto of a traveler) and GAINED 2 lbs. So my plan is to go 100% juice again until I get down to a happy weight were I look amazing and will not have a heart attack, then go back to 2 meals juice for a while. Until I'm 77, then I just start eating myself to death because wtf?

One serious thing to look up is gallstones caused by rapid weight loss. I have gallstones now but no doctor can tell me if they were gained by my rapid weight loss or just by being a fatass for so long. One doctor says it's genetic. So look it up! Women are apparently more prone to it than men, so you ladies got that going for you. Why do you get all the breaks?

I saw a surgeon about my gallstones and after about five minutes he was handing me an information pamphlet about gallstone removal surgery. I was like, "Hey, I only had pain one night. Do I really have to take out my gallbladder?" And he's all like, "Well, the surgery is no big deal. We just pop in a straw and suck it out."

"Right, right," I said, "But do I have to have it out?"

"uh. I mean, why not?"

"Shouldn't I just wait to see if I get a second attack? Like at least one more painful experience before I take out an organ of my body?"

"Here, take another pamphlet!"

I guess I'm suspicious because when you're a hammer, everything looks like a nail. And that surgeon was already reaching for his scalpel. So I ran out of there. But who knows. I'll probably pass a gallstone into some bile duct this summer and it will get all infected and I'll wish I hadn't made fun of that poor doctor.

But for now, I have my FREEDOM! And my GALLBLADDER!

It's like a coin purse in my body full of rocks!

Again--there's no proof that the gallstones were caused by the juice diet.

Tip: If you add nuts to your juice diet, your hunger will probably cause you to eat the whole can of nuts. Do not do that. Check the calories on the side. It's like 200 calories for one EIGHTH of that can. You only want half a cup, maximum, a day. Portion control is hard with nuts. You heard me: I love nuts. Tell all your friends.

And keep those recipes coming!

Try unsalted almonds for snacking on. The salt is what makes people keep eating them. You really should eat some solid foods once and awhile, like delicious fruit and maybe some high-quality oatmeal. Evolution has gifted you with lots of amylase, use it! 8^)

I would get a second opinion on the gallstones. Also make certain that they actually take a look at your patient records before they give their opinion- Some kinds of stones can be remove with ultrasound and pills, but if there's too many or they can't be broken up it'll all have to come out. Laparoscopy is pretty non intrusive and doesn't take too long to recover from, but if there's complications (such as from waiting too long) they will have to slice your abdomen open. The Mayo Clinic Website is generally a good place to go for an overview what (non-quackery) options are available for patients, and it's generally a good idea to have questions prepared for the doctor(s) before you go in for an appointment.

I was listening to the radio the other day, or to be more precise, I was in a car and the radio was on and I couldn't be bothered turning it off, and the presenters were asking people "what diet did you go on, and you weren't losing weight, and you totally know why?".

So, people were ringing in and saying things like "my diet was fine until I started up a cupcake business", and "eating a teaspoon of peanut butter every time I open the kitchen cupboard".

This one guy rang in with "I was doing the juice diet, and I started adding streaky bacon to my juice!"

:-& xD

Tim's a Juicer!?

art-004.jpg

Try rhubarb, blueberries, lime juice, and lemongrass with vanilla yogurt and ice for a tart treat.

So, it's two years later (wow, did that first kickstarter really happen so long ago!), I'm wondering how successful you found this?