Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nicholsonmatt

Tim's Excellent Juice Recipes?

Remember, this isn't the "Talk Tim out of juice fasting" thread. It's the "share your juice fasting experiences, recipes, and questions" thread.

I'm all ready doing it, and there's no stopping this juice train!

Free joke: What's the difference between someone on a juice fast, and a train?

A: A train still goes "Choo choo!"

Ha ha ha!

Ha?

Well, it was free.

I was just inquiring about how it would affect my strength training for football. Just wanted to clear it up :D

We're forgetting the terrible possibility that Tim might lose his be-

Dear God NO! The man without the BEARD isn't the same man! He won't lose his soul but by god he'll lose my vote for best beard on the island!

I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead last year and also got inspired to try the juice diet. I ended up buying a cheapo juicer thinking I didn't want to invest too much at first. That may have been a poor choice as I quickly saw how much wasted fibrous material there was left over, which made me feel guilty and stop using it after a short time.

Are the better juicers (like the Breville) also better at making full use of the fruit/veggies? I just hated throwing out so much seemingly good food.

Well done Tim! :) You going for 2 months then?

Lovely wife and I juiced for 3 weeks back in October, also inspired by Joe's doc. We didn't need weight loss; we just wanted to try it. She stuck to just juices while I supplemented with nuts/rye bread after the first week (ie. I lost). It was a great experience, and for someone who's used to eating pretty healthy, it was still an eye-opener. It just feels good to eat so much concentrated goodness.

We have continued to (attempt to) juice once a day since.

Ok, so you asked for recipes. We ranked every juice we did from 1 to 5 stars, and here are the 18 best ones: http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=Rd3dmCKQ (I lost track of which ones have "official" names and which ones we made names for, sorry)

We do tend to go a bit too fruity, but it's often tied to the availability of good veggies in the Danish winter. As a plus, we did/do full organic on the juicers ass whenever possible.

Re. the leftover goo... yes it's a bit of a shame to throw so much good fiber out, so we opted for using it all as compost. Less problematic for Mr. Conscience.

Final thing. I felt great throughout, but experienced a bit of a lack of creativity in my programming/design work at the end of week 1 - hence the nuts!

Sorry for the wall.

These recipes remind of that when we once went to the canary islands, after cycling around for half a day we came to a small village were they sold lemon juice. Oh how refreshing this would be right now, so we ordered a couple of glasses of yummy tasty cold refreshing lemon juice. We took our seats and watched how the woman cut one lemon after another. I thought, oh well, she probably makes some more as there are other people coming around who also want to drink this yummy tasty cold refreshing lemon juice.

The more lemons she cut and pressed out, the more i got interested how much lemon juice this would be in the end, maybe she was aware of a large group of people coming in right after us. I mean she for sure will mix it with a lot cold water and some sugar to make it this yummy tasty cold refreshing drink we were hoping for.

But nope, after a few minutes she just poured pure lemon juice into the very large glasses (for sure more than 0.5l) and and smiled at us. So, it was cold and refreshing and maybe somekind of experiment but i've never drunken something this sour in my life again. If you think certain sorts of grapefruit juices are sour already, you have no idea. On the bright side we were prepared for the biggest possible cheese fundue afterwards.

I have juice for breakfast each morning. So here are some things I typically run through the juicer:

- apples

- pears

- carrots

- cucumbers

- celery(just one or two stalks because the flavor is strong)

- beets (about half of one)

- spinach

- kale

- red cabbage

- parsley

and the not so secret ingredient is always adding one peeled lemon. It takes away any bitterness that the greens might add.

Occasionally a half inch of ginger root. I've noticed sometimes it adds a nice flavor but sometimes it kind of burns my throat. I guess not all ginger is equally strong.

This morning's mix in the attached picture.

Keep it up Tim!

juice-stuff.jpg

juice-stuff.jpg.9c54008c3a4eb5bf82a9d322

Awesome! I've been juicing for many years but have never done a juice fast/feast. I might give it a try.

I drink about 1-1.5 liters of juice, prefer to make it fresh every day, but sometimes I make two batches and keep one for tomorrow. Some of my usual juices:

carrot (about a kilo) + beetroot (2-3) + celery (one bunch) + lemon (one) + ginger (a bit)

celery + oranges (1:1 of juice from both, use more oranges if the celery taste is too strong)

I also randomly add cabbage, kale, spinach, broccoli or wheatgrass in small amounts depending on what I have around, but you need a good juicer to get any reasonable amount of juice from leafy greens.

Another tip - many people need to pee like every 10 minutes when they start drinking a lot of juice. Taking some digestive enzymes with the juice seems to help some of these people.

Hey Tim,

Thanks so much for posting your juice recipes. We all know there isn't a single dietary change that works wonders for everybody, but I'm sure we're all glad you've found something that's working well for you. And besides, who can argue with juice? I'd take a juice over a soda or sugary coffee drink just about any day. Congratulations, can't wait to see your progress in future DFA videos. Keep being awesome.

To me it's not so much the diet itself as it's a fresh start to a healthier lifestyle while cleaning out the bad toxins from your system.

There is also the fact that you might not enjoy certain vegetables in any other way than through juicing where the taste is made less bitter/altered with other vegetables and fruit. As xbob says, lemon is really magical at reducing bitterness. In fact we often drink just lemon "tea" - ie boiled water with a fresh slice of lemon in it. It's good for balance especially if the diet is on the acid side.. which it normally is in the western world.

Re. leafy greens, a useful tip is to roll them into balls before dropping them to their death in the juicer.

Hey congrats on going 20 days at the very least. I hope you've bought smaller plates etc. I found that when I used smaller plates I'd be able to load up on food fill a plate and trick my brain. It works partially on slowing down your intake and because your brain is stupid about understanding what "I'm full" is this helps it catch up. Also if you're going into the kitchen for a quick treat please please please think "Am I hungry?" Take a good 10 sec to think about why you're eating and that's helped me.

I was fairly overweight in highschool and got fitter that's partially me growing into a tall guy and partially some of these tricks. I looked at what my brothers were eating and said ok anything more then that and I'm a pig. I hope you've got someone around you whom you can get help from.

Also I know you've talked about having a kid....kids are great sources of guilt and really help reel you back, so get the little one involved and have your cross-support be something special you share.

Hope you get where you want to be, progress can be slow (dam well took me 4yr to get to skinny with flab) its deff a lifestyle thing and I'm still working on getting sexy (while I'm young enough to enjoy it) hopefully you get fit enough where you can do energetic activities with your kids.

Best luck bro.

Hey Tim you might like this! :D Well you'll probably hate it because this recipe is ridiculous, but I would have never even considered Kale shakes every day if it wasn't for that crazy dude Joe Rogan.

http://youtu.be/2lZE8i1iFxk

Blend tec, vitamix, juicer, whatever theyre all awesome. There are good reasons to blend over juicing though.

Its great to hear that this hardcore juicing diet has done so much good for you! :D also nootropics kick serious butt! :D

I create batches for several days. The amount of wasted food was another annoyance. I switched to this juicer as a result:

But!

Most places I've read said fresh juice only lasts 24 hours, even in a sealed container. I make mine in the morning, bring it to work in a thermos, and drink it throughout the day. The 5:30 glass is definitely different than the 9:00 am glass!

Hey Tim, I cook professionally and can actually give some insight to this! So you can make huge batches ahead of time, but they have to be refrigerated. Temperature causes degradation to flavor compounds, but no nutrients are diminished. So feel free to make gallons of the stuff for a whole week. I'd also suggest adding citric acid in powder form, or lemons/limes as a natural preservative; and they're tasty!

I actually run a lot of juice blends as a special amenity for guests at the hotel I work for. We carbonate them in isi whippers and serve them as palate cleansers.

Some of my favorites are:

carrot and ginger juice

watermelon, lime, and dill

pomegranate and peach with vanilla

mango with chipotle(very little chipotle)

honeydew and cucumber with mint

Don't feel like you have to only use fruit/veg either. Herbs usually contain plenty of vitamins, and can be added to your juices.

I picked up an infection while traveling (being stuck in small spaces with coughing people isn't particularly cool), which didn't manifest until almost a week later after I missed some sleep and let my body get a bit run down. Then BAM, it really hit me. That was a week ago. Tonsillitis and an ear infection were the brunt of it, and it was nasty. Today, I'm feeling great and working hard again, I beat it without antibiotics, medicine or pain killers, simply by juice fasting (what I had to work with was carrots, ginger and oranges, and some lemons and frozen blueberries until they ran out), resting, gargling water with some bi-carb or salt in it, occasional vitamin C supplements, and some apple cider vinegar every now and then. Worked very nicely I think, I noticed signs of improvement shortly after starting the juice fast but it did feel like a bit of a race against the infection for a few days. I used to get tonsillitis a lot when I was a kid and it would often take me two weeks to recover even with antibiotics. Big fan of juicing, and it's usually some combination of : apple, carrot, orange, lemon, kale, broccoli, bok choy, ginger, tumeric.

Yay good for you Tim!

I've been juice fasting (juice feasting) too, not because overweight but because of other health issues and it's great. I didn't lose any weight at all since I was already on my "ideal" weight. However, for everyone that feels inspired, you need to do research first because you will start to detox and it will scare you if not prepared. Always do research! When you fast, water or juice, the body will start to try to get crap out of the system and if you have a lot of toxins in you, it can be pretty bad. If you feel too sick, you can slow down the process by eating whole fruits. Not hard fruits but the soft ones that doesn't have much fibre in it. There are lots of good books out there on fasting.

I don't have any special recipe to give you, but I can recommend that you look at the documentary "Forks Over Knives" and look at their research (The China Study etc) when you plan on what to eat after the juice fasting is done. I bet that movie is on netflix too.

Good luck!

Hey Tim,

Why juice instead of smoothies made of the same thing? Aren't you missing out on the fiber in the fruits and vegetables? Although, it may be too much fiber with all the things you are using... Why not throw some stuff in a nice blender (vitamix/blendtec or any that will blend it down sufficiently) and drink it as a smoothie occasionally? Just curious.

That's definitely another way to go, but that's not the plan I started on. I know people who love their vitamix. But I don't really like gritty or pulpy juices that much. I like 'em smoooooth. Especially stuff like cucumber skin, bleh. I like knowing my juicer will kick out all the apple seeds, tomato stems, etc out the back.

But when I'm near the end of this thing I might start blending the juices after juicing with a frozen banana or almond milk to make a smoothie. I heard that's good.

I watched Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead last year and also got inspired to try the juice diet. I ended up buying a cheapo juicer thinking I didn't want to invest too much at first. That may have been a poor choice as I quickly saw how much wasted fibrous material there was left over, which made me feel guilty and stop using it after a short time.

Are the better juicers (like the Breville) also better at making full use of the fruit/veggies? I just hated throwing out so much seemingly good food.

Part of what kept me from giving up on this thing after the first day (and I wanted to) was that my juicer cost $250 and I didn't want that going to waste. Now that I run it twice a day I've definitely got my money's worth out of it.

There is some pulp kicked out the back. The speed setting on the breville lets you slow it down for soft foods like tomatoes and get the maximum juice out of it.

If you want to not make juice waste, you could go for a vitamix blender and use it all.

I create batches for several days. The amount of wasted food was another annoyance. I switched to this juicer as a result:

But!

Most places I've read said fresh juice only lasts 24 hours, even in a sealed container. I make mine in the morning, bring it to work in a thermos, and drink it throughout the day. The 5:30 glass is definitely different than the 9:00 am glass!

Hey Tim, I cook professionally and can actually give some insight to this! So you can make huge batches ahead of time, but they have to be refrigerated. Temperature causes degradation to flavor compounds, but no nutrients are diminished. So feel free to make gallons of the stuff for a whole week. I'd also suggest adding citric acid in powder form, or lemons/limes as a natural preservative; and they're tasty!

I actually run a lot of juice blends as a special amenity for guests at the hotel I work for. We carbonate them in isi whippers and serve them as palate cleansers.

Some of my favorites are:

carrot and ginger juice

watermelon, lime, and dill

pomegranate and peach with vanilla

mango with chipotle(very little chipotle)

honeydew and cucumber with mint

Don't feel like you have to only use fruit/veg either. Herbs usually contain plenty of vitamins, and can be added to your juices.

Very interesting, thanks! Never would have thought about dill or vanilla or chipotle!

The idea of carbonation is interesting too!

Interesting scientific study on the positive benefits of restricted feeding:

http://io9.com/5979523/why-you-should-starve-yourself-a-little-bit-each-day

spoilers:

One hundred days later, the free-for-all group was a mess. They gained weight, developed high cholesterol, high blood glucose, and experienced liver damage and diminished motor control (ouch).

But as for the mice who practiced the intermittent fast, they weighed 28% less and showed no signs of adverse health. And what's remarkable is that both groups ate the same amount of calories from the same fatty food.

Guess I'm buying a blender tomorrow

1 thing though... What about protein and exercise? more muscle means more calorie burning, even in rest.

Hemp protein! :D Best protein ever, Hemp Force! :D Crazy how hemp is one of the most beneficial things anyone could eat :) Don't be a vegetarian....its simply not part of nature for humans. Stuff like how truly hard it is to get mold free coffee, grass fed beef, and hemp protein, that is what is making things harder for us.

Random idea, but has anyone at Double Fine tried Bulletproof Coffee? I don't drink coffee, but its supposed to be life changing for regular coffee drinkers.

Loving this forum thread, didn't think this conversation would have popped up on DF's forums :D

I live in Europe; grass fed meat is super easy to come by, and it's guaranteed hormone free

The easiest source of protein is egg white. Hard boil an egg, remove the yolk.

I live in Europe; grass fed meat is super easy to come by, and it's guaranteed hormone free

I was wondering, I hear the rest of the worlds weary of American meat. Do you guys pump yours full of antibiotics?

Must be nice.

I've heard good things about spicy peppers having a chemical capsicum? Something along the lines of being heart healthy and maybe an anti cancer agent...but then again I don't know whom funded those studies so it could be bunk. Either way spice might be a nice palate cleanser.

Don't be a vegetarian....its simply not part of nature for humans.
I don't want to start an argument (I've experienced these, hate em), and I don't want to preach, everyone should find the path that's right for them! However I think that statement is a bit misleading. We have many more millions of years of evolution under our belt in which we co-evolved with plants. Our style of teeth and digestion is evidence of that. All the lifestyle options that opened up to us post-agriculture and post-industry are very new to us on an evolutionary scale. It has been my personal experience since becoming a vegan that my brain functioning and general vitality has gone through the roof! It's like a weight I was carrying my whole life was lifted off my shoulders. All the fear surrounding lack of proteins or other nutrients in a vegan diet seem to be meaningless propaganda. Broccoli has more protein per calorie than steak, for instance. Most people get the B12 they need from bacteria in their mouths, and generally only have deficiencies when they have other digestive disorders preventing their intake. Etc etc. I was very conscious of nutrient counts when I started a vegan diet but now I just listen to my body and (with the exception of my recent, brief illness, which I picked up when stuck in a train for 15 hours with sick people, and even then didn't really have a problem with until I missed a lot of sleep, my own fault) I have never felt better in all my life.

To give a little more detail, I avoid all processed foods, all monoculture grains (that means no wheat\bread, although I sometimes cave on this for convenience), all soy (it can cause trouble taking in protein from other sources, I hear, and it sometimes gave me headaches anyway), and focus on a mostly raw fruit\veg\herb diet, and cook some lentil curries with lots of garlic and spices, and it's working beautifully for me. I'm now at least two years into it and I experience more and new benefits in my life all the time. Just saying. Find a dietary path that is right for you, but when considering options please at least don't fear a lifestyle without meat. I promise you we do not require it for survival (although if you have had your appendix removed it may be more difficult, I'm not sure).

Edit: That video on protein was great, thanks for posting it slimmy.

Interesting scientific study on the positive benefits of restricted feeding:

http://io9.com/5979523/why-you-should-starve-yourself-a-little-bit-each-day

Interesting Tim, cheers for sharing.

Just had a superb juice here that I have to share.

It's:

2 apples

2 lemons

1 pear

1/6 of a small honeydew melon

125g of spinach

1/2 a fennel

6 big carrots

a little bit of ginger

It looks like a juice from hell, and it might be, but it's heavenly in taste.

Dunno, if someone really wants to learn something reasonable about how a human body works (as far as we know) and nourishment then i recommend getting information from more serious sources than those diet or we made an experiment articles on the net.

Alone with fats and proteins, this is quite a complex matter, there are different ones, they need to be treated different due to interaction, you have to consider you own metabolism, age, your hypothalamus state, your lipocytes history, your genes, ...

Nothing against the fun but just in case there are unexperienced or young people around, don't mess around with your health according to such information, you know it's the net and regarding certain topics it shouldn't be your #1 or only source.

Ive watched the the documentary and now have a juicer which im going to attempt a full 2 weeks of juice fasting, thanks to Tim. Im wondering if there is going to be a more extensive list of recipes in this topic and just tried that Mean Green and that was pretty strong juice anyway to tame that beast down a bit.

This is awesome, Tim! Glad it's working out for you! I have never regretted getting my act together a few years back and losing 60 pounds. The trick for me was changing my lifestyle to keep it from coming back. Working out, eating properly... I committed to it and just made it a habit. Best of luck, man!

Sign in to follow this