Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nicholsonmatt

Tim's Excellent Juice Recipes?

But if it were me I'd look at your gut level ITS THE DIET! Reaction as secret bad vibes you're sending yourself to give you a fall back to quit.

Seriously though, it probably IS the diet. Or rather rapid weight loss combined with a very low-fat diet, like kam posted. It's a pretty well known issue apparently (though not to me, not until this) that occasionally happens in these cases. It might still be worth it in the end because being fat is seriously not fun either (I would know). Hopefully Mr. Schafer can manage it without needing surgery, it's never fun losing organs no matter how puny or non-essential.

Also I don't know if you'd want to remove it in the first place, what exactly does having stones in there do?

These guys hang in your gall bladder and when they start to move around it feels kinda funny. D:

Ok that seems like an extreme case, don't panic yet Tim! Here's the article.

Links might be not safe for mind.

Soon, Tim will look like our Hipster Lumberjack (though minus the beard now).

575ae816f9eec86f820001a5335e7cf7.png?1360704317

Or maybe redbot.

Smiles

Also I don't know if you'd want to remove it in the first place, what exactly does having stones in there do?

These guys hang in your gall bladder and when they start to move around it feels kinda funny. D:

Ok that seems like an extreme case, don't panic yet Tim! Here's the article.

Links might be not safe for mind.

Some creative devious part of me wants to make overweight ppl go on juicer diets and then sell the stones as avant garde art for rich yuppies.

Also yes I agree maybe stress didn't do the gall stones but you never know running a business etc. does all sorts of stuff I hear. What I said about it being a mental out for him to quit holds true. Although this might be a solid reason for him to quit, and try a stable or what approximates a healthy diet with non liquid foods.

I don't know if rapid weight loss is bad for you in the long hall but it seems ppl who had rapid weight loss rebound less.

Seriously though, smaller plates smaller portions pacing. Your brain and your gut will finally tick over to being full faster without diet pills to do the same effect.

Just caught up in this absolutely riveting thread. I look up to you, Tim, as a designer and now as an inspiration to try this juice diet!

Can't wait to hear the results of your surgeon and need to schedule my own doc appointment to make sure I can make the plunge myself into the juice.

I'll report back in 30 days to tell you all about my gallstones, too!

#TheJuiceIsLoose

Hey Tim! Once you decide to go to full meals again, try out the LCHF diet (low-carb high-fat) diet. dietdoctor.com/lchf, even with saturated fats as long as they're organic ones they don't do harm! Good luck! (Oh, and it also keeps off the weight really well.)

These guys hang in your gall bladder and when they start to move around it feels kinda funny. D:.

Oh man, thanks for ruining my life with that picture. That's disgusting. And inside of me. I think I might just claw it out with a fork now.

Went to a certified nutritionist today. She had no answers for me. Did the diet cause the gallstones? Can't say. She just said that she really didn't recommend a 100% juice diet. It can cause inflammation of a whole bunch of things. She said she wished I would juice maybe one meal a day, and eat healthy the other two.

Well, the next appointment I have is with the surgeon to find out if the gall bladder has to come out. But he's a surgeon, so isn't that what he's going to recommend? Surgery? Like how I try to solve every problem in the game with dialog?

Plus, the thing that's bumming me out lately is this rash that's appeared on my neck. Gross! Neck rash! Theory #1 I had was that it was caused by the fish oil supplements I was taking, because I just found an old bottle of them in a cupboard. So maybe they went bad and gave me a neck rash. Theory #2 is that my liver has exploded, and it's making my neck get all scratchy just as a precursor to death.

Either way, did you know that fish oil tablets should be refrigerated? And if you find an old bottle of them in a cabinet you shouldn't immediately eat them?

The disgusting picture of gallstones seen in the earlier post (don't look at it), and the itchy rash on my neck are putting a damper on my excitement about this juice fast. The first 35 pounds were so fun! But this neck rash phase is a bummer.

I'm thinking of switching into a compromise diet, where I eat one meal a day, and juice the rest.

This is the end of act II. The character is at his lowest point.

Tim, will your hero's journey be chronicled in the coming episodes of the documentary? I suspect you pulling this entire juice fast just to provide a gripping side-plot for the show!

Timothy, dear Timothy.

I am shocked and appalled to find this "thread," son, if that's what you hip cats are calling it these days. It sounds pretty dire. Make sure to cut down on the juicing and attempt a compromise as you have just suggested.

To yourself.

Your father,

X Schafer

*not really X Schafer*

Went to a certified nutritionist today. She had no answers for me. Did the diet cause the gallstones? Can't say. She just said that she really didn't recommend a 100% juice diet. It can cause inflammation of a whole bunch of things. She said she wished I would juice maybe one meal a day, and eat healthy the other two.

Well, the next appointment I have is with the surgeon to find out if the gall bladder has to come out. But he's a surgeon, so isn't that what he's going to recommend? Surgery? Like how I try to solve every problem in the game with dialog?

Plus, the thing that's bumming me out lately is this rash that's appeared on my neck. Gross! Neck rash! Theory #1 I had was that it was caused by the fish oil supplements I was taking, because I just found an old bottle of them in a cupboard. So maybe they went bad and gave me a neck rash. Theory #2 is that my liver has exploded, and it's making my neck get all scratchy just as a precursor to death.

Either way, did you know that fish oil tablets should be refrigerated? And if you find an old bottle of them in a cabinet you shouldn't immediately eat them?

The disgusting picture of gallstones seen in the earlier post (don't look at it), and the itchy rash on my neck are putting a damper on my excitement about this juice fast. The first 35 pounds were so fun! But this neck rash phase is a bummer.

I'm thinking of switching into a compromise diet, where I eat one meal a day, and juice the rest.

Oh, my bad. I thought when you said a juice diet you meant alcohol. I do remember a conversation about that and my drinking habits... No wonder I'm gaining weight and grey hairs in my beard.

Tim it depends on the surgeon. I recently had a hiatal hernia fixed. My doctor/surgeon was rather clear that the surgery wasn't really necessary, and that I could just take tablets to alleviate the symptoms and I could have a perfectly normal life. I just really didn't want to continue with the taking a pill everyday so I opted for the surgery. I don't doubt there are surgeons who will just say you should operate, but from experience they are not all like that.

Haaha this thread is so weird and probably not helpful.

How could it be?

You're getting anxious and worried about stuff, and then you're asking for, for friggin feedback on that.

Hahaa I'm sorry but I imagine this is something like group panic and supposed to be therapeutic.

Instead of it being a group of insecure bros being insecure together and being supportive its this corruption of that and going OH GOD HERES THIS THAT AND THE OTHER OF WHAT THAT RASH IS!!!!!

While being supportive.

Its like your leveraging your anxiety into a tool to prompt some healthy bro talk and at a glance its all good but when you get down to it, maybe shows a problem.

Imo. Sure you've got the built up damage of being overweight, but you're getting fit. If some of that switch up causes an imbalance I'd think thats reasonable.

Also supplements? Make the effort to get a varied diet if you're gonna spend the money and commit to it, might as well make good eats part of it.

SO..

Juice, I think you aught to get some honey and drizzle a little (a teaspoon) honey has a pretty strong flavor even when you mix it into other things I think it if you got bored of fruit's sweetness or if you've got a bit of a bitter mix, honey could probably work well in a set up like that.

I guess you did hear one thing straight - 100% juice diet is not healthy, but losing the extra weight is of course healthy, so you should probably not give it up completely but find some healthy combination that works for you.

I'm not really sure if you want another doc/opinion or if it would be more confusing. Just know that there are gastroenterologists who are not necessarily surgeons (check to see if they have any specialty). I wouldn't try to self-diagnose and decide the rash comes from liver functions problems necessarily, it could be, but it's not the most likely scenario. I can tell you that many doctors would not hurry to cut you open if you don't have a real reason. Based on what you wrote you only had pain once so maybe it's not that serious (despite the existence of the gallstones), but you know better than anyone here and should be the one asking them the questions on risks vs. benefits.

The Internet could be your best friend with health information or your worst enemy. Just as in any profession there are good doctors and bad doctors, no one knows everything so I think it can help you to be informed and be able to ask the questions, but I would really try not to jump to conclusions. And yeah, fish oil should be refrigerated (it usually says so on the label), and in my view any supplement should only be a supplement if you really need it, meaning if for some reason you cannot eat or absorb something, but this idea of taking a pill instead of eating right is not the way I would go.

And of course, if your medical bills start accumulating for some reason we'll kickstart it! :) But I really don't think you are getting there, overall you decided to live longer and healthier and I'm sure that in time all discussions will go back to be about the games.

Sorry for the long post, hope at least something here made sense...

Careful with 'nutritionists'. They might indeed give good diet advice, and be completely well-meaning and good at what they do, but it's not widely known that it isn't a protected term. I could call myself one if I wanted. 'dietitian' is the protected term, that requires actual medical qualifications to obtain.

Don't mean to offend any nutritionists or people who have nutritionist friends or family - like I said, I'm not saying there aren't any nutritionists that know what they're talking about, but dietitian is the one with the a really robust set of qualifications behind it.

Well.... I would avoid taking supplements, period, unless a doctor tells you you need to. It's not healthy. Even taking a multivitamin as insurance is probably not the best idea.

It's also possible that you have developed an allergy to something you've been eating.

Ya, all your vitamins are hardly getting absorbed in pill form from what I've read. Seems foods the best way to get the vitamins.

So get excited about cooking, cooking is seriously under-appreciated as a creative outlet. Also if you're cooking for your kid and you're exposing em to good food, they'll remember (I sure do with my dad).

Part of not rebounding and eating crap is cooking good stuff that just happens to be healthy.

It won't get to the cause but perhaps applying some coconut oil would help with skin discomfort. I've found it really good with burns and cuts, and I've read that it has healing and moisturizing properties which are good for the skin. Just yesterday my cat jumped on my shoulders as I was holding a freshly boiled green tea... Spilled it all over my leg and it hurt like hell. I immediately put some coconut oil on it and it was quite relieving, and I'm now only left with a fingernail sized burn mark which doesn't feel any different to the surrounding skin in terms of sensitivity\pain.

@Ryan, totally. Changing my diet got me into cooking and now when I do it I enjoy food more than I ever used to. I loooove a good curry. It's worth being aware of the enzymes\nutrients etc that you destroy in the cooking process though. I've tipped the balance in favor of raw lately, which, as well as making me feel really good, gels fantastically with my lazy side. My favourite cooked meal at the moment is a curry sauce + lentils poured over raw veggies (broccoli, mushies, kale, capsicum, etc).

Juice melts my mouth, please dont give me juice... I said no... i mean no.. What... stop it... that.. is ...gurgle... bad...

Thump...

Don't drink it Tim, you don't have to, Coach makes the worst juice, don't do it DON'T YOU SMURFING DO IT TIM.

X Schafer in dream sequence, Timmonauts REAL LIFE EDITION

It won't get to the cause but perhaps applying some coconut oil would help with skin discomfort. I've found it really good with burns and cuts, and I've read that it has healing and moisturizing properties which are good for the skin. Just yesterday my cat jumped on my shoulders as I was holding a freshly boiled green tea... Spilled it all over my leg and it hurt like hell. I immediately put some coconut oil on it and it was quite relieving, and I'm now only left with a fingernail sized burn mark which doesn't feel any different to the surrounding skin in terms of sensitivity\pain.

@Ryan, totally. Changing my diet got me into cooking and now when I do it I enjoy food more than I ever used to. I loooove a good curry. It's worth being aware of the enzymes\nutrients etc that you destroy in the cooking process though. I've tipped the balance in favor of raw lately, which, as well as making me feel really good, gels fantastically with my lazy side. My favourite cooked meal at the moment is a curry sauce + lentils poured over raw veggies (broccoli, mushies, kale, capsicum, etc).

There's some foods like meats, grains, beans, and certain vegetables which you can't get nutrients out of without cooking them, or a just plain poisonous. Like eggplants.

There's some foods like meats, grains, beans, and certain vegetables which you can't get nutrients out of without cooking them, or a just plain poisonous. Like eggplants.
That's true, and I certainly cook when I eat beans\lentils\pumpkin\eggplant\etc etc, but I do tend to lean more heavily on the vegetables which work in a raw context and have come to enjoy them more that way too. Nothing like crunching into some broccoli.

That's true, and I certainly cook when I eat beans\lentils\pumpkin\eggplant\etc etc, but I do tend to lean more heavily on the vegetables which work in a raw context and have come to enjoy them more that way too. Nothing like crunching into some broccoli.

I like lightly steamed (still slightly crunchy) vegetables. Some of the woodier vegetables, like asparagus and parsnips, are easier to eat that way. Raw vegetables are still perfectly tasty, of course, but I think the flavor of cooked vegetables complements some meals better than raw ones would.

You are detoxing. Part of fasting and getting healthy is detoxing. If you have skin rashes it's because your kidneys can't keep up with the detox. The skin is called the third kidney because it helps the kidneys out when they can't keep up.

Gallstones can't be created by juice fasting, they were there all the time but now when the body is in detox mode it's going to try to get rid of them.

My recommendation is to read up much more on how detox works, otherwise you could get scared and put yourself under the doctors knives when it's not needed.

You are detoxing. Part of fasting and getting healthy is detoxing. If you have skin rashes it's because your kidneys can't keep up with the detox. The skin is called the third kidney because it helps the kidneys out when they can't keep up.

"Detoxing" (in this sense) is mostly nonsense.

Although I guess there's a chance we could be talking about something similar to this: Reintoxication: the release of fat-stored tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) into blood is enhanced by food deprivation or ACTH exposure :)

A "real" gallstone is formed from hardened cholesterol and/or bile. What's referred to as gallstones by peddlers of detox regimes is actually soap-like globules formed in the digestive tract by the ingredients in their detox regime. Also a lot of these regimes can cause long term damage to your digestive tract and other organs. Just don't do them.

Also, as a student of biochemistry I find the very concept of detox regimes to be a (quite frankly dangerous) underestimation of the complex interactions between poisonous substances and the human body.

Edit: Here is a link about the "gallstones" produced by liver flushes. Warning: Kind of Gross

In my experience, nutritionists seem more more mainstream in the health advice they share (of course, that blanket statement can't account for all of them). Juice feasting and fasting is fairly "fringe."

A naturopath (especially one who has some knowledge of raw foods, people who primarily eat raw foods, and detoxing) may be able to share more relevant information for you. I haven't been to one yet, but my general impression is that the type of people who become naturopaths seem more open minded.

From what I have learned, if you're doing a detox protocol (especially if you're likely to have a build up of toxicity), you generally have to manage the removal of toxins from your system.

From what I understand, juice feasting / fasting will generally cause you to detox much more than you usually would, but that doesn't necessarily mean the toxins are being removed from your body at the same rate (the removal of toxins from your body is described with another more formal term, but I forget what it is).

This is something you could talk with a qualified professional about. :)

Why? Think of it like this: if you're doing anything new, it's generally nice to have an experienced partner who can help you navigate the way. You want that partner to also have experience with what you're doing, or at least understand it really well.

A doctor, naturopath, or nutritionist may fill that role, however, different health professionals will have different backgrounds, experiences, and beliefs, and so it helps to choose one who can help you with your unique situation and what you're interested in [that's something you may have to research before booking an appointment. E.g. Ask them what their speciality is, whether they have experience with what you're doing, or if they know someone who does, etc.], while also making discerning decisions yourself, to ensure you're getting the quality of support you need.

There are also health centres you can visit that address such subjects and can guide you through various protocols. Two I know of:

http://www.treeoflife.nu/

http://www.hippocratesinst.org/

Yeah, fats/oils go rancid. Grains and flours, too (since they have oil in them; most flours are made from ground up grains). There should be storage info on the internet for different oils / fats, and perhaps on the label if you buy an actual supplement like fish oil.

Not all oils need to be refrigerated (e.g. I think coconut oil does pretty well out at room temperature, so long as it's kept at a reasonable temperature), but I think most benefit--i.e. last longer--if they're refrigerated.

Look after yourself, Tim.

Coconut oil does indeed have many benefits, but if the rash is from something that's going on within his body, topical use of coconut oil is only a bandaid fix, and not necessarily something that is wise to rely on (especially if you have pre-existing health issues).

Best to address the core issue.

[Edit: oh, I just realised you mentioned that. I skimmed past the first part of your post.]

Detox is basically pseudo science. Quackwatch is generally a pretty good resource for those "is this a good idea" questions you might have.

Tim, don't get too upset about the kidney stones. You might end up needing surgery, but if you can get it done laproscopicly you'll probably be better in a month or so afterwords.

If you've ever had chicken pox the rash could be shingles- it's what happens when the chickenpox virus hibernating in someone's nerve cells wakes back up. There is a booster-shot type thing which is being developed to help treat it, but for now the only thing you can do is try not to get too stressed out. Stress tends to cause shingles... breakouts, I guess.

Sign in to follow this