Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ace2020boyd

has the PC version been delayed

This is exactly why I didn't pre-order on Steam. I had no need for the Team Fortress items. While I want to buy the game, I'd rather pay my money and download it right away instead of like many of you pre-orderers (and I respect and understand the pre-order, don't get me wrong) sitting here frustrated that we haven't been able to play it on our PC all day Wednesday like we thought we would.

Mind you australia would normally get it earlier not later. This is a global delay, and points to jan 24th 12AM Pacific time. it's essentially an extra day. Damn you all.

Nope. Steam releases games at the same instant worldwide (not staggered releases based on time zones). So if a game is being released on the 1st of January, it will be released when it's the 1st of January in the USA. By then it's the 2nd of January in Australia and New Zealand.

Not that this is relevant anymore. I just thought you might be interested. :)

If it's not showing up as available for download, restarting your Steam client should do the trick.

Just got it installed from Steam, but the controls at the start seem messed up, can't select the Time Traveler with the d-pad using a 360 controller - it just cycles through the other 6. But using the arrow keys on the keyboard moves the Time Traveler around even though it's not the selected character.

[edit] I guess the game defaulted into local 2-player mode where the K/M had control of the Time Traveler. Not seeing an obvious way to disable the K/M as a player.....

Damnit. First Issue here.

I clicked istall, but he never did. It changed into Play and now Steam seems to think I already downloaded it.

Restart Steam did't help.

I clicked istall, but he never did. It changed into Play and now Steam seems to think I already downloaded it.

Did you try Game Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity?

Just got it installed from Steam, but the controls at the start seem messed up, can't select the Time Traveler with the d-pad using a 360 controller - it just cycles through the other 6. But using the arrow keys on the keyboard moves the Time Traveler around even though it's not the selected character.

Anyone else seeing this?

You've managed to bind two players :) Because Cave can be played by multiple people at once, the first input device to press enter or start becomes player one. If that's, say, a gamepad, then if you click in w/ the mouse or use space on the keyboard, that'll bind in a second player. Now you have two, which is why it scrolls past one player. If you don't want to use a particular input device, just bring up the pause menu with that device (start or Esc) and then chose "drop player" to get down to just one!

Did you try Game Properties -> Local Files -> Verify Integrity?

Yes, that should do the trick.

Anyone else seeing this?

You've managed to bind two players :) Because Cave can be played by multiple people at once, the first input device to press enter or start becomes player one. If that's, say, a gamepad, then if you click in w/ the mouse or use space on the keyboard, that'll bind in a second player. Now you have two, which is why it scrolls past one player. If you don't want to use a particular input device, just bring up the pause menu with that device (start or Esc) and then chose "drop player" to get down to just one!

That would explain it, I alt-tab'd out at the char selection, I guess that activated it. I hope this only causes an issue at the start here, as I tend to alt-tab out a lot while playing....

Anyone else seeing this?

That would explain it, I alt-tab'd out at the char selection, I guess that activated it. I hope this only causes an issue at the start here, as I tend to alt-tab out a lot while playing....

The most common way that you get into that state is using the keyboard or mouse to "press enter" and then picking up the gamepad. Also somewhat common can be the opposite, binding in w/ the mouse after using the gamepad to start. In either case, Alt Tabbing shouldn't make any difference. However, if you are playing windowed with a gamepad and want to get focus back to the game, be sure to click on the border so as not to accidentally start playing as a new keyboard player.

Yes, finally got it. Only had time to play it for 20 minutes now, but everything worked like a charm during that. Download, installation, graphics, the controls.

Absolutely charming so far. The animations are fantastic, and the puzzles seems good. Got a good feeling from testing this now.

Having the same issue where steam doesn't install any files whatsoever but just goes right to Play... after you hit Install. Then you can't play because the exe is missing. Verifying doesn't do anything.

ok to fix this: delete the install you have in steam. then close steam.

restart steam, then reinstall The Cave.

this took me two steam restarts for some reason so might not work right away.

Best to check the graphics options if you're using a TV, for some reason it defaulted to 24hz on mine which looked pretty terrible until I changed it to 60hz!

Best to check the graphics options if you're using a TV, for some reason it defaulted to 24hz on mine which looked pretty terrible until I changed it to 60hz!

Yeah, I'm not sure why some systems report bad defaults like that over HDMI. You're actually one of the lucky ones. Some systems report resolutions and refresh rates they don't even support and when the game uses them, they just display a black screen!

Ok working now, just delete local content then reinstall.

Yep.that's it:-)

Mac and PC should be out today in the US. Hopefully it'll be live before it gets too late there. We'll have a more exact ETA shortly.

Is the omission of Linux there intentional?

i know you guys trust ron, but the lack of a penguin next to the downloads is making me nervous. First and last time i ever preorder! (or maybe they're just testing our faith in our double overlords)

We're committed to The Cave on Linux, but we have one serious issue that we're still sorting through before we can release it in good faith. There are also some odds and ends due to still raw Steam Linux features (like case sensitivity in Cloud saves). We'll work to get it released as soon as we feel it's solid.

thanks for the clear answer! I'll stop nagging now :)

We're committed to The Cave on Linux, but we have one serious issue that we're still sorting through before we can release it in good faith. There are also some odds and ends due to still raw Steam Linux features (like case sensitivity in Cloud saves). We'll work to get it released as soon as we feel it's solid.

Ah, disappointing. It's a shame that this didn't come to light sooner. 11th hour is the worst time to be telling some players that they're going to be excluded from launch :(

Sign in to follow this