Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Howlstone

Do you want bugs to be reported?

Hi!

Just got it on PSN and am really enjoying it so far.

I came across a crash to XMB early in the game, and I haven't managed to recreate it, but this is what I can recall leading up to the moment:

I'm playing with the knight, hillbilly and twins.

After passing the monster with the sausage there is a room with dynamite.

I blew myself up, as the night next to the logs.

I might have pressed the circle right before the explosion.

I tried to just stand there, next to the logs, a second time and the game didn't crash.

It's not likely that many will experience this, I guess, but I thought I'd mention it.

Nevertheless; thanks for a super fun game! :D

I also have a bug to report, but on the Xbox 360 version.

I finished the demo, i.e. I jumped off the cliff into the water and it cut to the 'Buy Now' screen. I paid my 1200 points and continued playing, but the in-game camera immediately stopped functioning. I couldn't see my character and had to try and blindly jump out of the water. It also disabled the ability to swap between characters and the icon (showing which D-pad button is assigned to which character) had disappeared on screen.

The camera glitch made the game unplayable so I clicked 'Save & Exit' and then 'Continue Game' but the same problem happened. It started me with all 3 characters at the top of the cliff, but as soon as I jumped into the water, the camera stopped functioning properly. I then exited the game completely (to the dashboard) and then loaded the game back up. It then worked perfectly.

Other than that, amazing game!

PS3 (less slim - does that even matter?) - twins got stuck in the start of a falling animation on the edge of the weight guessing machine in the carnival.

Not played much yet, but pressing a button to bring up arrows showing the direction of companions and/or objects might be useful - as would a map, indeed, perhaps moreso.

This thread should be marked as a Spoiler thread!

I'm playing the PSN version currently, and I've found a couple issues.

During the carnival level with the Hillbilly, I used the wrench socket on the fireman hose pipe (underwater) first before using it on the generator. When I finished the level, the bales started on fire, the fireman still put the fire out, and I had to go back to the pipe and use the wrench on it again. I couldn't remember where I dropped the wrench, so it took me a while to find it!

The other one doesn't happen too often, but I've seen graphical glitches when the twins get stuck momentarily on a ledge and then flicker for a while. Pressing jump moves them, it's not a permanent thing. It really isn't a big deal, and doesn't break the game.

This thread should be marked as a Spoiler thread!

I'm playing the PSN version currently, and I've found a couple issues.

During the carnival level with the Hillbilly, I used the wrench socket on the fireman hose pipe (underwater) first before using it on the generator. When I finished the level, the bales started on fire, the fireman still put the fire out, and I had to go back to the pipe and use the wrench on it again. I couldn't remember where I dropped the wrench, so it took me a while to find it!

The other one doesn't happen too often, but I've seen graphical glitches when the twins get stuck momentarily on a ledge and then flicker for a while. Pressing jump moves them, it's not a permanent thing. It really isn't a big deal, and doesn't break the game.

Yes, I don't know how to mod the title of a topic (or if I am able to for that matter.) I'm trying to be as little descriptive of events in the game as possible, but surely some things are hard to not spoil while explaining.

[More Spoilers]

The knight can get stuck on the end of the fleet of stairs hanging at the far left-lower of the twins' house, (like the twins, you get unstuck by jumping straight up.)

The boat kills you if you touch it under water (PSN,) (least the knight and hillbilly,) kind of annoying.

I'm curious to know if dlc or patches are equally expensive to roll out on PSN/xbla etc.?

Just wanted to say that we definitely want to hear about bugs you encounter. Due to the usual patch issues on consoles, we may be limited in what we can address on those platforms, but we are much more free on Steam.

Also, with any bug, please let us know how often it happens and, when possible, specific steps for us to reproduce the bug here.

I just bought the game went into the cave was at the point to where you put the hot dog on the spike before I got the hotdog I had to take the fuse out and when I did I had the postcard in my hand I drop it to take the fuse out and when everything was all done and said I went to pick up the postcard it electrocuted me and I tried it with and without the fuse it still did the same.

I dashboarded so it wouldnt save I guess it can be prevented if don't have nothing in your hands good game for the five mins I played will try later.

Here's one more:

PSN: knight, adventurer, monk.

Deserted island: I thought I'd save some time by having the adventurer in the water next to the boat while blowing up the ground.

The cutscene started and the duct was drained, though the adventurer wasn't visible.

When I swapped back to her, she was swimming, surrounded by nothing but horizon.

Screenshot

I'll fiddle around and see if I can still progress.

Edit.

Luckily I didn't need more than the remaining two characters to get the boat off the shore.

However my console froze as they were falling to the following waterfall. Hope it's not long back to the auto save.

(That freeze is more likely due to my ps3 being on for too long, because XMB isn't responding... JIK here's a screenshot)

[spoilers]Also in the canival level, there is no way to get back up to the top of the Ferris wheel where the fuse came from. I left the barbell up there and can't get it now.[spoilers]

Contains SPOILERS:

I played about 2 hours and encountered three major bugs, unfortunately I can only recount two of them. Playing german PSN Version, Team is Adventurer, Monk and Twins.

1. When fixing the broken well to get the bucket in the employee only area the game froze. I needed to restart the console.

2. In the pyramid, before killing the archaeologist, i pushed the sarcophagus off the elevator and went back on it, At the moment my adventurer touched the elevator she entered a fall animation and was immovable. Had to save and reload.

Nevertheless enjoying the game very much. Well done DF!

Just after gift shop w/ hillbilly, scientist, and knight I told it to save and quit. Game crashed on PSN

Mac version on MBA 12" (mid 2012)

Picked the Scientist, Monk and Adventurer. Right after they fall from the bridge, as soon as I walk to the room on the right after they land on the water, I get a crash.

Picked the Scientist, Monk and Adventurer. Right after they fall from the bridge, as soon as I walk to the room on the right after they land on the water, I get a crash.

Can you email the crash log to support@doublefine.com? Also, have you tried multiple times or just the once? If you can try from a fresh start it would be good for us to know.

Lastly, the GPU in that computer is not the best. You may want to turn down some of the graphics settings and/or resolution to make sure you have the smoothest possible experience.

This isn't really a bug, per se, but the frame rate is really choppy at times, at least in the PS3 version. This seems to happen when there's a lot going on, like near a waterfall, but general gameplay is not smooth. For reference, I have the fatty 40 gig PS3, which is a recent factory refurb due to original failing.

Now, this doesn't exactly ruing the game for me, but it does definitely detract from the immersion. It's really a shame, because the visuals are lovely otherwise. I was debating whether to get the PS3 or Steam version, but the PC I have plugged into my TV isn't powerful enough. Sigh. I might do a Steambox thing in the future, so maybe I'll play it there eventually.

Fun game, but choppy experience.

This isn't really a bug, per se, but the frame rate is really choppy at times, at least in the PS3 version. This seems to happen when there's a lot going on, like near a waterfall, but general gameplay is not smooth. For reference, I have the fatty 40 gig PS3, which is a recent factory refurb due to original failing.

Now, this doesn't exactly ruing the game for me, but it does definitely detract from the immersion. It's really a shame, because the visuals are lovely otherwise. I was debating whether to get the PS3 or Steam version, but the PC I have plugged into my TV isn't powerful enough. Sigh. I might do a Steambox thing in the future, so maybe I'll play it there eventually.

The Cave does a lot of streaming, so often this choppiness comes from HD access. Make sure you aren't doing things like downloading games in the background (which can hit the HD pretty hard). Also if it's an older machine, sometimes the drives get fragmented and gradually become slower. Often a reformat of the main hard drive can speed everything up.

Can you email the crash log to support@doublefine.com? Also, have you tried multiple times or just the once? If you can try from a fresh start it would be good for us to know.

Lastly, the GPU in that computer is not the best. You may want to turn down some of the graphics settings and/or resolution to make sure you have the smoothest possible experience.

I'll run a few more tests and send a report.

While the HD 4000 won't win any prizes I was expecting the worst and was surprised how smooth it was, especially considering it was on a 27".

The Cave does a lot of streaming, so often this choppiness comes from HD access. Make sure you aren't doing things like downloading games in the background (which can hit the HD pretty hard). Also if it's an older machine, sometimes the drives get fragmented and gradually become slower. Often a reformat of the main hard drive can speed everything up.

I'm having subtle frame rate issues on Xbox 360. I have a new 320 GB slim, and don't have anything downloading in the background. The issue isn't horrible, but it takes the game down a small notch. If it were patched, I know it's impractical (and maybe not even technically possible) with Microsoft charging $40k for every update... but it would make it a perfect gaming experience. The floating jumping is not an issue to me, like some reviewers have noted, but the frame rate issue is. Anyway, I don't feel entitled, I paid 1200 MSP and got a good game.... just sharing my thoughts.

OK, what is this chicken embryo residue dripping down my face?

I just tried playing again and everything ran fine. I really can't explain it. I spend several hours yesterday playing just after purchase and download and those problems were definitely there, but seemed to have disappeared. No, I wasn't downloading anything in the background and this refurb is around 4 months old, so has been pretty recently formatted.

Uh, sorry for the bother then. Hope this holds up. It certainly is more enjoyable this way. Hooray!

XBox version.

In the Carnival area, on the 'Weight Guess' amusement, my Adventurer got stuck on the right corner of the scale (while carrying the dumb bell uncloaked). I suspect I tried to drop the weight while the barker was speaking. She was doing a glitch dance and I was unable to move or interact with the barker. I was able to save and exit. Upon re-starting the game, she moved to a neutral position and all was well.

OK, what is this chicken embryo residue dripping down my face?

I just tried playing again and everything ran fine. I really can't explain it. I spend several hours yesterday playing just after purchase and download and those problems were definitely there, but seemed to have disappeared. No, I wasn't downloading anything in the background and this refurb is around 4 months old, so has been pretty recently formatted.

Uh, sorry for the bother then. Hope this holds up. It certainly is more enjoyable this way. Hooray!

No bother at all. Also, the system will sometimes decide to do stuff in the background (like download exciting new adds for the store), so unfortunately it's not always totally under your control.

Glad you're having a smoother experience today!

Not sure if this is a bug or not or I'm just stuck. I'm leaning towards being stuck but I've tried pretty much everything to no avail. either way, here goes...

PS3 version. I'm playing the Twins, Hillbilly and Scientist. I'm on the island and have moved the boat to the other side and Herman...I mean the Hermit...is sitting in the boat and it only fits three. I thought perhaps the main solution is to sit two characters in the boat and have the other one sacrifice themselves. That doesn't work. Then I think there's something I gotta do to remind the Hermit that his dog is still behind. But the game's not letting me interact with the dog no matter what I do. I used the crackers to get the parrot to go to the other side of the island as well and the parrot doesn't say anything to remind the Hermit that the dog is still back at the camp. So I dunno if I'm missing something or the solution just isn't kicking in.

If I'm just stuck and missing something, just say so, I don't want to know the solution. If there's something I'm missing, I'll keep trying. Thanks. ^_^

[PC Bug] Playing with the Time Traveler, Monk, and the Twins. I got to the first part with the two boxes with the ropes, and the pressure pad on the ground. I climbed up the first rope with the time traveler into the bell shape thing the has the rope it in, and I just climbed all the way up into it and jumped to the inside of the rock and I was going above the level (only could see Os of the time traveler) and keep going left until I dropped through the level into the next cavern. Knowing this probably shouldn't happem, I quit the game and started it up and tried it again (with the Time Traveler, just remembered I forgot the others) and it did it again. Not really imedeing the story, but a way to bypass a part of the game, not sure how much because it just happened.

Other then that, everything looks fine, running great, and loving it. Also is that a Farcry 3 reference from the Gift shop guy? Really? :D

While the HD 4000 won't win any prizes I was expecting the worst and was surprised how smooth it was, especially considering it was on a 27".

I'm having the exact same problem on a MBP 13", basic model, mid-2012. OS X 10.8.2. 8GB of RAM. Intel HD 4000.

I picked scientist, adventurer and twins. Tried twice (fresh start, since the game crashed before I could save properly) and the exact same thing happened. Tried turning off all effects, running in windowed mode, all to no avail.

edit: checking the crash log. The crash happened in the rendering thread, somewhere deep inside the OpenGL driver when clearing the screen. Don't know exactly what changes in that part in the game (maybe the background skybox?), but anyway, might really be a video driver issue. Here's the relevant bits:

Application Specific Information:

Assertion failed: (srgbValue >= 0.0f && srgbValue <= 1.0f), function LinearToSRGB, file 

/SourceCache/GraphicsDrivers/GraphicsDrivers-8.6.22/Common/GLRenderer/Intel/intel_types_util.h, line 866.

Thread 10 Crashed:: Render Thread

0   libsystem_kernel.dylib            0x93dfda6a __pthread_kill + 10

1   libsystem_c.dylib                 0x9172facf pthread_kill + 101

2   libsystem_c.dylib                 0x917664f8 abort + 168

3   libsystem_c.dylib                 0x91774d37 __assert_rtn + 326

4   com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsGLDriver    0x08c5da66 gldClearFramebufferData + 8203

5   GLEngine                          0x085efaa1 glClear_Exec + 659

6   libGL.dylib                       0x90312e18 glClear + 28

7   com.doublefine.TheCave            0x0054c944 RenderContext::ClearRenderTargets(Color const&, bool, bool, bool) + 304

8   com.doublefine.TheCave            0x00624b2a SceneFrame::_RenderSky(RenderContext*, Texture*, Texture*) + 350

9   com.doublefine.TheCave            0x0062818e SceneFrame::RenderShaded(RenderContext*, RenderMessagePump*) + 178

10  com.doublefine.TheCave            0x0063b715 SceneGraph::_RenderThreadMainLoop(Thread*) + 939

11  com.doublefine.TheCave            0x006435e0 Thread::BoundStartClosureImpl::Exec(Thread*) + 46

12  com.doublefine.TheCave            0x0017724e Thread::Run() + 24

13  com.doublefine.TheCave            0x00177952 ThreadImpl::_StartFunc(void*) + 66

14  libsystem_c.dylib                 0x9172e557 _pthread_start + 344

15  libsystem_c.dylib                 0x91718cee thread_start + 34

Sorry for being so verbosical, but I'm a game programmer myself and it's nice to help you guys find the problem the most I can :)

I'm having the exact same problem on a MBP 13", basic model, mid-2012. OS X 10.8.2. 8GB of RAM. Intel HD 4000.

I picked scientist, adventurer and twins. Tried twice (fresh start, since the game crashed before I could save properly) and the exact same thing happened. Tried turning off all effects, running in windowed mode, all to no avail.

Interesting. Can you mail the crash logs to support@doublefine.com? Also, please install the latest OS updates. I think latest is 10.8.4.

Interesting. Can you mail the crash logs to support@doublefine.com? Also, please install the latest OS updates. I think latest is 10.8.4.

Will do, with the comments I posted in the edit above.

About the OS version, I double checked (both via the Mac AppStore and The Internet) and it seems 10.8.2 is the latest.

I was having occasional stuttering on the Windows PC version when I first played the game, but a computer restart seems to have fixed it. Weird!

I'm not sure if this a bug or something I need to check in settings.

The Cave Drawings seem to really pixedlized. I love Daniel Krall art and was hoping to see this stuff look amazing on a PC.

I'm running a Windows 7 iCore 5 with a nVidia GT 520 and the game itself looks fabulous.

It's just the cave drawings that look off.

Any suggestions?

I'm not sure if this a bug or something I need to check in settings.

The Cave Drawings seem to really pixedlized. I love Daniel Krall art and was hoping to see this stuff look amazing on a PC.

I'm running a Windows 7 iCore 5 with a nVidia GT 520 and the game itself looks fabulous.

It's just the cave drawings that look off.

Any suggestions?

Can you post a screenshot? I'd like to see what you're seeing. I suspect that there's a texture filtering issue combined with the fact that the art was authored for console res, but maybe what you're seeing is quite a bit worse than it should be and something else is afoot.

edit: checking the crash log. The crash happened in the rendering thread, somewhere deep inside the OpenGL driver when clearing the screen. Don't know exactly what changes in that part in the game (maybe the background skybox?), but anyway, might really be a video driver issue. Here's the relevant bits:

Application Specific Information:

Assertion failed: (srgbValue >= 0.0f && srgbValue <= 1.0f), function LinearToSRGB, file 

/SourceCache/GraphicsDrivers/GraphicsDrivers-8.6.22/Common/GLRenderer/Intel/intel_types_util.h, line 866.

Thread 10 Crashed:: Render Thread

0   libsystem_kernel.dylib            0x93dfda6a __pthread_kill + 10

1   libsystem_c.dylib                 0x9172facf pthread_kill + 101

2   libsystem_c.dylib                 0x917664f8 abort + 168

3   libsystem_c.dylib                 0x91774d37 __assert_rtn + 326

4   com.apple.driver.AppleIntelHD4000GraphicsGLDriver    0x08c5da66 gldClearFramebufferData + 8203

5   GLEngine                          0x085efaa1 glClear_Exec + 659

6   libGL.dylib                       0x90312e18 glClear + 28

7   com.doublefine.TheCave            0x0054c944 RenderContext::ClearRenderTargets(Color const&, bool, bool, bool) + 304

8   com.doublefine.TheCave            0x00624b2a SceneFrame::_RenderSky(RenderContext*, Texture*, Texture*) + 350

9   com.doublefine.TheCave            0x0062818e SceneFrame::RenderShaded(RenderContext*, RenderMessagePump*) + 178

10  com.doublefine.TheCave            0x0063b715 SceneGraph::_RenderThreadMainLoop(Thread*) + 939

11  com.doublefine.TheCave            0x006435e0 Thread::BoundStartClosureImpl::Exec(Thread*) + 46

12  com.doublefine.TheCave            0x0017724e Thread::Run() + 24

13  com.doublefine.TheCave            0x00177952 ThreadImpl::_StartFunc(void*) + 66

14  libsystem_c.dylib                 0x9172e557 _pthread_start + 344

15  libsystem_c.dylib                 0x91718cee thread_start + 34

Sorry for being so verbosical, but I'm a game programmer myself and it's nice to help you guys find the problem the most I can :)

It's almost certainly a driver issue and we're seeing this exact same crash from several folks w/ the same OS and GPU combo. We're looking into a workaround now!

It's almost certainly a driver issue and we're seeing this exact same crash from several folks w/ the same OS and GPU combo. We're looking into a workaround now!

Great to know you're looking into it! Please let me know if I can help in any way :)

Meanwhile I guess I'll just reboot to Windows to play the game. Nothing very serious and easier to use my PS3 controller on Windows as well :)

Sign in to follow this