Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Howlstone

Do you want bugs to be reported?

The "Don't Fill Up On Fortune Cookies" achievement may be bugged on Steam as well. I've taken everyone down to Xavetar to have their fortune read and wasn't able to unlock the achievement.

Hi, I just got a hard crash. I'll try to be as thorough as possible, see if I remember my time as tester.

Platform: PSN

Downloaded with a free code from SEGA.

Characters: Hillbilly - Scientist - Knight

Description: After finishing the carnival the game crashes when exiting the level. Hard crash. I had to restart the system.

I used the Scientist to light up the bales and waited a bit to exit the level. I exited with the Knight and the Scientist then the game crashed when I exited with the Hillbilly (last character and therefore the game presumably when into "saving..."). All I could hear was the screams of the people in the carnival, which was a bit distressing. I would sue the hell out of you Double Fine for the distress caused but we don't do that in Europe so don't worry.

I have not tried to reproduce it cos I started eating sunflower seeds and they're really moreish and I can't stop right now.

Cherrie: ...This is a bizarre bug. You don't happen to have any peripherals such as a guitar or driving stick or anything else really plugged in as well, do you?

Nope. Not a huge fan of *those* games lol.

I also like to report a bug or two. I play the PC/Steam-version using xbox-controller.

During character selection, after the first character is selected, one of the other characters can no longer be selected. In the first attempt, I moved the Twins and no longer could select the Monk, at a second attempt I chose Monk first and could no longer select the Knight.

I tele-grabbed the bucket hanging from the broken well with the monk, but afterwards I was unable to repair the well to get access to the painting, can't tell if that's intended or not.

I don't find the femur next to the explosive barrels (the walkthrough told me to find one there). I looked around and I'm pretty sure I have not picked it up by accident. Any chance to continue without starting all over again?

Hey there!

Picked up the Steam copy the other day, currently running with Monk/Knight/Time Traveler.

[spoilerS]

I've gotten to the point of the 3 carpets in the Monk area, but the carpets keep disappearing no matter what I do. I've tried the following variations:

- Grabbing all the desired items

- Grabbing only the monks using telekinesis

- Grabbing none

- Grabbing none and standing completely still

- Grabbing none and reshuffling the order

- Grabbing none and swapping to the closest character when passing by a desired item

- Grabbing non and letting the monk holding the feather on the way up

Ran by some walkthrough videos, one with only the monk grabbing his item via telekinesis and the second grabbing none. No error message, game and computer has been restarted. Tried to backtrack since I can walk through the gate using the Time Traveler, but the bridge is in the way so can't get out anymore. =/

EDIT: Okay, just because I posted somehow I managed. :P Does the carpet ride fail if there's any movement at all going on? I ended up placing the first two characters on the carpets and letting the last jump on which worked.

I also like to report a bug or two. I play the PC/Steam-version using xbox-controller.

During character selection, after the first character is selected, one of the other characters can no longer be selected. In the first attempt, I moved the Twins and no longer could select the Monk, at a second attempt I chose Monk first and could no longer select the Knight.

Sounds like you ended up doing the same thing I did and bound in a second keyboard/mouse player: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/8426/P50/#258161

I don't find the femur next to the explosive barrels (the walkthrough told me to find one there). I looked around and I'm pretty sure I have not picked it up by accident. Any chance to continue without starting all over again?

I think this is the third time in this thread someone's posted about the femur not spawning. For me, simply exiting the game and loading it back up caused the femur to spawn in it's normal spot - although by this point without the barrels.

I had a bug/issue on the Island level, don't know if it's known. After filling the first pool and pushing the boat over to the next side, I couldn't pull the boat out with any character. After saving & exiting & restoring, the boat reset to the other side of the lake and things worked fine, pulling boat out worked fine. No other issues.
I have the same problem, except I can't fix it. Saving and reloading the game doesn't help. None of my characters can pull the boat out of the water (Hillbilly, Twins, Time Traveller), so I'm stuck here now.

The issue seems to be that whenever my characters push or pull something, their first motion is always to push, then pull once the game realizes what direction I'm moving them in. But in this case, pushing means they push the boat away a little bit, fall in the water, and then reset the movement, letting go of the boat. So they never start pulling.

I'm playing the PC version from Steam. Have had an awesome time with this game, but feeling a little disappointed right now...

I had a bug/issue on the Island level, don't know if it's known. After filling the first pool and pushing the boat over to the next side, I couldn't pull the boat out with any character. After saving & exiting & restoring, the boat reset to the other side of the lake and things worked fine, pulling boat out worked fine. No other issues.
I have the same problem, except I can't fix it. Saving and reloading the game doesn't help. None of my characters can pull the boat out of the water (Hillbilly, Twins, Time Traveller), so I'm stuck here now.

The issue seems to be that whenever my characters push or pull something, their first motion is always to push, then pull once the game realizes what direction I'm moving them in. But in this case, pushing means they push the boat away a little bit, fall in the water, and then reset the movement, letting go of the boat. So they never start pulling.

I'm playing the PC version from Steam. Have had an awesome time with this game, but feeling a little disappointed right now...

Stand still and press E then move backwards you shouldn't move forwards when you press and hold E.

Stand still and press E then move backwards you shouldn't move forwards when you press and hold E.

Thanks, that helped!

Note to self: Left-clicking is not a good replacement for the letter E :-)

I've now finished my first three characters. On to the next!

I haven't read through this thread, but I did search and couldn't find this reported. It's nitpick really. Not sure if it's worth mentioning. And it's only in the subtitles. Didn't even notice it on my first playthough. Oh, well. When you get to the part where you take the boat over to the island the subtitles say "99 bottle of rum on the wall, 99 bottles of rum...". It's just a missing plural. Not exactly a game breaker.

I found a place where the Twins got stuck and couldn't move (except to turn left or right, no jumping out, and they seemed to be stuck walking in place). Had to insta-kill 'em to keep moving on. I'm playing on the PC version.

611949ecf60fd0885e97cae3fbc2323d.png

f3062c8279ab39f2b9663c1fcdee28c1.png

Smiles

That's why they have 'insta kill' ( keys 9 and 0 ) to reset character! Great way to fix stuck characters--wish more game implemented this function.

That's why they have 'insta kill' ( keys 9 and 0 ) to reset character! Great way to fix stuck characters--wish more game implemented this function.

Surely, though it isn't a game stopping bug, reported it nonetheless. ;):)

Smiles

Rather than insta-killing, why not just switch to one of the other two chars and jump down the waterfall with them.....once you hit the next rally point your stuck char won't be stuck any more....

So I've now completed the game enough time to get all the cave paintings. As far as I can tell the following achievements are all broken on Steam:

Win-win-win-win-win-win-win

Redemption

Corruption

The Whole Story

Don't Fill Up On Fortune Cookies

Basically, every achievement that is rewarded for completing the game (with the exception of Who Wants to Live Forever, which is actually rewarded when the first of your group climbs the ladder) doesn't unlock. I'm unsure why the Fortune Cookie achievement won't unlock.

So I've now completed the game enough time to get all the cave paintings. As far as I can tell the following achievements are all broken on Steam:

Redemption

Corruption

The Whole Story

Basically, every achievement that is rewarded for completing the game (with the exception of Who Wants to Live Forever, which is actually rewarded when the first of your group climbs the ladder) doesn't unlock. I'm unsure why the Fortune Cookie achievement won't unlock.

I've just had the same issue. Just completed my three play throughs today, two single player and one co-op and had none of the achievements unlock on steam. It's not a major issue, but it's definitely annoying.

Redemption

Corruption

The Whole Story

I'm in the same boat as well with just those 5 that won't unlock.

These 5 are the only achievements that have requirements which span multiple playthroughs.

Also, the part with the monk where you have to walk very slow is incredibly difficult with a keyboard since there is no pressure sensitivity to help you walk slower. It was easy with my xbox controller, but on the keyboard i had to consistently press the walk forward button for about a fifth of a second at a time, rapidly releasing and doing it again, and it takes about 4 minutes to get across.

Agreed. This part seemed quite broken when I first tried it. Mouse control was terrible for it, and they have a strange design where the character automatically turns his back to the wind for most of it. This isn't so bad in the area around the ladder to the right. However, in the middle section the character seems to also want to run back to the right. So I'd tap W to try and gain some ground and this dolt would just walk to the right again. This was easily the most frustrating section of the game.

I encountered this, or something like it. It turned out the pool wasn't quite full. I had to turn the valve again to fill it to the top so I could grab the boat.

[spoilers]Also in the canival level, there is no way to get back up to the top of the Ferris wheel where the fuse came from. I left the barbell up there and can't get it now.[spoilers]

I seemed to have this issue, but then I disccovered that the barbell had spawned on the ferris wheel platform. Not sure if that's the design.

I found a bug on the Scientist's level

I was using the warhead loading console with scientist holding the wet floor sign, then I dropped it as the lab tech guy was running to me. The lab tech guy slipped and then slides inside the warhead loading console and disappeared. I get the warhead loaded completed, the lab tech guy reappeared on his spawn/spot. Since I got warhead loaded completed I could not get the last key I needed from him.

I was using the Scientist, the Knight and the Time Traveler.

Not sure if this is relevant to the bug but I had two hot dogs dropped, one at the ladder and one left of the warhead loading console.

One more for the road.

I'm experiencing this issue which is mentioned in the support thread:

When I play The Cave I see random white flickering over some objects in the game. How do I fix it?

This bug is due to an issue with The Cave’s Depth of Field effect and some video card drivers, especially integrated Intel cards on OSX. You can fix these issues by disabling DOF in the display settings of the pause menu. We hope to correct or auto-disable this in a future update.

It most commonly occurs in areas with heavy lighting effects such as the campfire during the intro and finale SE, or the fire from the nuclear missile. Disabling DOF has no effect. It's a minor bug and doesn't occur often.

However, I also see this every time I'm in the mine:

mine_glow_cart_entrances_zpscf4757c3.jpg

It doesn't matter if any, some, or all visual settings are toggled on and off. Could this be another side effect of the Intel/OSX combo?

Game breaking bug:

PS3 / 2nd Playthrough / Knight/Twins/Monk

After the Twin's section I saved and quit. When I returned I headed towards the Zoo, but noticed the Knight had Excalibur in his hands. He did not have it prior (it landed in the lake after his section). However, I could not drop it, no matter what. I tried hitting O and Square, killing him, restarting the game... EVERYTHING. I ended up going through the Zoo, Monk, & Island without using him to pick anything up, but now I'm at the gift shop and cannot proceed since the sword is still in his hand. The other two have moved on.

Also, the part with the monk where you have to walk very slow is incredibly difficult with a keyboard since there is no pressure sensitivity to help you walk slower. It was easy with my xbox controller, but on the keyboard i had to consistently press the walk forward button for about a fifth of a second at a time, rapidly releasing and doing it again, and it takes about 4 minutes to get across.

Agreed. This part seemed quite broken when I first tried it. Mouse control was terrible for it, and they have a strange design where the character automatically turns his back to the wind for most of it. This isn't so bad in the area around the ladder to the right. However, in the middle section the character seems to also want to run back to the right. So I'd tap W to try and gain some ground and this dolt would just walk to the right again. This was easily the most frustrating section of the game.

This really annoyed me as well until I suddenly remembered something from the control options that really puzzled me when I first started the game. Pressing "shift" makes your character walk. At first I thought this was broken, since "shift" didn't seem to do anything, but the arrow keys did that just fine. I came to think of it again after failing the flower petal puzzle about a hundred times, and sure enough holding "shift" while moving makes the monk walk instead of running, thus making that puzzle a whole lot easier. The fact that he turns his back to the window when you stop seems intentional, as if you don't he won't be shielding the petals from the wind, thus making them blow away when the wind comes.

OK, I could swear it did not list that key action the last time I checked the key bindings... unless I just forgot about it.

Still stuck because of that darn monk bridge bug though :-\

This really annoyed me as well until I suddenly remembered something from the control options that really puzzled me when I first started the game. Pressing "shift" makes your character walk. At first I thought this was broken, since "shift" didn't seem to do anything, but the arrow keys did that just fine. I came to think of it again after failing the flower petal puzzle about a hundred times, and sure enough holding "shift" while moving makes the monk walk instead of running, thus making that puzzle a whole lot easier. The fact that he turns his back to the window when you stop seems intentional, as if you don't he won't be shielding the petals from the wind, thus making them blow away when the wind comes.

Two more bugs to throw out there:

1) Every so often the screen will just go blank for 4-5 seconds then come back. Very random, I've gone a whole playthrough without the issue, then it happens a few times within a couple mins. Monitor is fine (haven't every had this issue with other games), video card is still outputting to my secondary monitor. GTX 680 w/210.90 drivers. I though I'd seen someone post about this already, but can't find it now.

2) The subtitle text seems to have an odd ghosting effect that's noticable when falling or moving quickly: http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/612756334225350588/9EBB3787946325B4BEE0C14CCA056548558177ED/

There's a discussion on the Steam forums about a game-breaking bug. Basically, you can have the adventurer be one of the two that goes into the switch room in the pyramid, making it impossible to progress.

Redemption

Corruption

The Whole Story

I'm in the same boat as well with just those 5 that won't unlock.

These 5 are the only achievements that have requirements which span multiple playthroughs.

A-ha! Yeah, that's the connection I missed. I'm just hoping when they fix it, it'll retroactively reward the achievements.

A-ha! Yeah, that's the connection I missed. I'm just hoping when they fix it, it'll retroactively reward the achievements.

Sounds like it's an issue with having used a controller instead of a keyboard: http://steamcommunity.com/app/221810/discussions/0/846943514109612896/

That would explain why the percentages for those achievements has been going up on Steam since some people will be using K/M.

Also, DF....can you please fix the achievements page on Steam so that we can link to the the Global achievements and then go into compare view with our own. It's annoying to have to go to the store page to see the global stats.

Sign in to follow this