Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Howlstone

Do you want bugs to be reported?

Please fix the achievements for gamepad players and also remove the whole player 1/2 determination for the achievements.

It's disappointing when you beat the game 5 times just to see the most important achievements don't work :(

Here's just a minor typo. By the way THERE ARE SPOILERS.

SPOILERS.

EXPIRATION DATES AND FOOD POISONING.

Well, okay, just SPOILERS.

Enough spoiler warnings. There's a small typo in the 'good ending' of the Monk's picture titles. "The Rightous Path Regained" should instead be "The Righteous Path Regained."

HAVE SOME MORE SPOILER WARNINGS ANYWAY EVEN THOUGH IT'S OVER

BECAUSE YOU NEVER KNOW WHEN SOMEONE WILL SCROLL UP

SPOILERS

THINGS ON THE REAR OF A CAR

And that's all.

Hi everyone, Wii U gamer here. I joined the forums because I also had picked up on a few bugs, but before I mention them I wanted to thank Sega and Double Fine for bringing the game to Wii U. I am a big fan of Costume Quest too, so more Double Fine on Wii U in the future is definitely welcomed!

At any rate, there is a game breaking bug on the Wii U version of the game that I not only reproduced a few times but also saw on MiiVerse that others had the same issue. It goes as follows:

- In the Zoo after you have recorded the Crystal Cave Monster and got the hunter to leave the vending machines to collect the hot dog, there is a way to break the game.

- In my first several attempts I thought I was supposed to drop the hot dog on the destructible bridge; however, doing this in fact breaks the game. The monster will consume the hot dog then fall over dead on the bridge, and the bridge does not break.

- The Cave narrates the line about extinction etc., but your selected character cannot move, and you cannot select a new character when this event occurs. The only way to correct the issue is to bring up the menu, select "Save & Exit," and re-try the hot dog luring.

- I did this several times on my original save game before realizing I was supposed to continue past the bridge. I also replied to several MiiVerse posts from other users telling them the work around.

I'd post a pic from my original MiiVerse post, but I think MiiVerse is down for maintenance. I will check later to see if I can add the pic.

Aside from that there are a couple of non-game breaking bugs as well:

- As others have mentioned it may not be a bug, but it is the most frustrating part of the game. The Time Traveler's bucket puzzle is very fickle. I did a few tests myself when I finally figured it out, and it works only once out of 2 or 3 attempts usually (specifically rolling the rock to one side in the past and swapping to see the well). Others have expressed the same issues on MiiVerse.

- This is more of a graphical glitch but when a character is climbing a ladder while holding a pole shaped object (namely the shovel or Excalibur) the object appears on the backside of the ladder. So in other words you are carrying the object through the ladder.

So I've now completed the game enough time to get all the cave paintings. As far as I can tell the following achievements are all broken on Steam:

Win-win-win-win-win-win-win

Redemption

Corruption

The Whole Story

Don't Fill Up On Fortune Cookies

Basically, every achievement that is rewarded for completing the game (with the exception of Who Wants to Live Forever, which is actually rewarded when the first of your group climbs the ladder) doesn't unlock. I'm unsure why the Fortune Cookie achievement won't unlock.

So I'm not the only one. I came here to see if anyone else reported achievement problems. Win and Corruption didn't unlock for me either.

I can confirm that I'm getting the game completion achievements using a keyboard and mouse.

I can also confirm this. I've been using keyboard controls almost exclusively, occasionally using the mouse when I feel like it, and I've still been getting proper achievement unlocks.

Strange that the controls used effect whether an achievement unlocks or not. That's a really bizarre bug.

Trouble with the Carnival.

Started the game with 3 player cooperative. Hillbilly, Time Traveler, and Monk. Xbox Live version.

Attempted to complete Carnival but became frustrated and went to walkthrough. We've now discovered what SHOULD have been I can describe the following:

On entering the stage the Ferris Wheel was already shut down. The barbell was missing and the sledge hammer as well. Apparently nothing in the upper section loaded (barbell, sledgehammer, or fuse). We deleted the game file from the Xbox and kept the save file. Reinstalled and continued game. Same issue. Removing the save file and the game file ultimately fixed the issue.

Given the adventure/puzzle nature of the game it took us a good hour to figure out that something was actually broken.

I've found two problems so far on the PS3 version.

First is a freeze/crash when I play as the Knight, Monk and Time Traveller (picked in that order). The game freezes up when I begin to climb down to the Castle area, where the Cave introduces the Knight.

The second is less obvious but forced me to start over. For some reason, the first character I pick (Left on the D Pad on the PS3) is unable to jump from ladders. When I press jump, that character just falls down, as opposed to making a small jump from the ladder, giving them a little extra height.

This became a major problem for me at the end of the Adventurer's Pyramid when she had to climb out of the pit. She climbs the ladder hidden behind the statue, but because she won't jump from the ladder, the ledge next to the top of the ladder became out of reach, and it was impossible for me to get her to the door switch out of the Pyramid.

So until/unless there's a fix, I have to make sure to put any "action-oriented" characters like the Adventurer in any character spot except Left. It's possible to work around it, but potentially ruins the run :(

Exactly the same problem here. I play on PS3 too (japanese model). It seems this bug only affect this platform.

I tried to delete the game (my save too) and redownload it but it did not work.

Exactly the same problem here. I play on PS3 too (japanese model). It seems this bug only affect this platform.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one, although it still sucks we have the problem...

Also, thanks for the reminder, I forgot to mention that my PS3 is also a Japanese model. Just in case that is relevant.

In the missile silo area I pulled all the fruit out of the fruit bowl then hit save and quit and exited the game. Upon continuing the game the bananas were no longer present and there were no more to get from the fruit bowl. I thought maybe i'd just misplaced them, but I spent an hour double checking and scanning the level but there are nowhere to be found. It really sucks since it was the last of my characters' areas so I'll have to start the whole game over again from the top.

xbox 360 :

-Got the "disc unreadable" error/corrupted savefile at the entrance of the twins level (time traveler, knight, monk)

-Game froze just after hay bales burned up at the carnival level (time traveler, adventurer, hillbilly)

Played through the game for the first time on Wii U with the a combination of Monk/Time Traveler/Adventurer

*SPOILER*

When trying to lure the cave monster onto the bridge, I dropped the sausage in the last instant and the monster fell asleep. However, the game somehow recognized that the monster is in the right spot to die and played the cutscene, but never got out of it.

So the Monk was stuck and I had to turn off the console losing all my progress since my last save :(

Hey Guys! Thanks again for posting all of these, I'm going to first give a broad status of what is coming/fixed in upcoming patches, then I'll start diving into more specific problems.

Steam Achievements: The achievements not being awarded when you get them and using non-keyboard/mouse combos should be fixed in the next patch.

Monk Bridge reappearing problem: This should also be fixed in the upcoming patch.

Unresponsive character movement: We're putting in some tweaks that should make moving smoother and help fix some of the lingering movement issues.

There are other ones we're working on, they just aren't finalized yet so they don't get mentioned yet.

I'm going to start responding to people directly now, so there's going to be a bit of spam =)

Played through the game for the first time on Wii U with the a combination of Monk/Time Traveler/Adventurer

*SPOILER*

When trying to lure the cave monster onto the bridge, I dropped the sausage in the last instant and the monster fell asleep. However, the game somehow recognized that the monster is in the right spot to die and played the cutscene, but never got out of it.

So the Monk was stuck and I had to turn off the console losing all my progress since my last save :(

Were you alright after you restarted? I'll add this onto the wishlist for once the higher priority things are done.

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one, although it still sucks we have the problem...

Also, thanks for the reminder, I forgot to mention that my PS3 is also a Japanese model. Just in case that is relevant.

Ok, that makes a ton more sense now. It looks like this issue is related to Japanese PS3s, and we're looking into a fix for it for you guys.

Steam Achievements: The achievements not being awarded when you get them and using non-keyboard/mouse combos should be fixed in the next patch.

Will they be fixed retroactively upon starting the game after it has been patched or will the requirements have to be met again?

Will they be fixed retroactively upon starting the game after it has been patched or will the requirements have to be met again?

If you don't get them as soon as you log in triggering them once should give them to you (so for septuple Win, just do it with one other character adn you should be awarded it.)

xbox 360 :

-Got the "disc unreadable" error/corrupted savefile at the entrance of the twins level (time traveler, knight, monk)

-Game froze just after hay bales burned up at the carnival level (time traveler, adventurer, hillbilly)

For the Hay Bale freeze, did it also give you a disc unreadable error or was this just a hardlock?

In the missile silo area I pulled all the fruit out of the fruit bowl then hit save and quit and exited the game. Upon continuing the game the bananas were no longer present and there were no more to get from the fruit bowl. I thought maybe i'd just misplaced them, but I spent an hour double checking and scanning the level but there are nowhere to be found. It really sucks since it was the last of my characters' areas so I'll have to start the whole game over again from the top.

If you interact with the fruit bowl again, it doesn't happen to give the item to you, does it? I mostly want to know if the problem is the fruit disappearing, or the graphic not appearing for a full bowl.

Two more bugs to throw out there:

1) Every so often the screen will just go blank for 4-5 seconds then come back. Very random, I've gone a whole playthrough without the issue, then it happens a few times within a couple mins. Monitor is fine (haven't every had this issue with other games), video card is still outputting to my secondary monitor. GTX 680 w/210.90 drivers. I though I'd seen someone post about this already, but can't find it now.

2) The subtitle text seems to have an odd ghosting effect that's noticable when falling or moving quickly: http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/612756334225350588/9EBB3787946325B4BEE0C14CCA056548558177ED/

This is really really basic, but is your monitor plugged in all the way?

BUG REPORT :

PC version.

Playing with a USB PS1/PS2 controller adapter is causing low framerate.

when disconnected of the computer, back to normal.

Knew I forgot one! This should also be fixed in the next patch.

Also to everyone who's been helping people with problems in this thread, all of you are awesome and I owe you hugs =)

Two more bugs to throw out there:

1) Every so often the screen will just go blank for 4-5 seconds then come back. Very random, I've gone a whole playthrough without the issue, then it happens a few times within a couple mins. Monitor is fine (haven't every had this issue with other games), video card is still outputting to my secondary monitor. GTX 680 w/210.90 drivers. I though I'd seen someone post about this already, but can't find it now.

2) The subtitle text seems to have an odd ghosting effect that's noticable when falling or moving quickly: http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/612756334225350588/9EBB3787946325B4BEE0C14CCA056548558177ED/

This is really really basic, but is your monitor plugged in all the way?

Haha...yeah, it's plugged in fine...locking DisplayPort cable. This is also my work PC, so it gets a lot of use.....I can't see it being a hardware issue as this has only ever happened while playing The Cave.

It happened 3 or 4 times across 6 playthroughs, each time it would go blank for 3-5 seconds 2 or 3 times about 5-10 secs apart. For instance, it went blank right after I jumped on the ferris wheel, came back around 9 o'clock, then blanked out again at 1 o'clock where I needed to jump off for the fuse :/ had to ride it all the way around again. That's the only specific place I remember it happening.

I'm assuming that the subtitle ghosting must be due to some filtering/graphics effect the game is doing as it shows up in a screen capture...

xbox 360 :

For the Hay Bale freeze, did it also give you a disc unreadable error or was this just a hardlock?

Just a hardlock, save game loaded after hard reboot, but at the start of the carnival level.

Xbox 360

I'm with the monk,knight and farmer.

Gamebreak at the monk stage,i do all the test of the monk and when i ring the bell,the monk master don't do anything.

When i quit and restart the game,it's the same thing.

Xbox 360

Gamebreak at the monk stage,i do all the test of the monk and when i ring the bell,the monk master don't do anything.

Are you absolutely sure you've completed the requirements for him to do anything? If you don't know what I'm talking about, you probably haven't.

Xbox 360

Are you absolutely sure you've completed the requirements for him to do anything? If you don't know what I'm talking about, you probably haven't.

Yes,i'm sure ,i see a walkthrought for the monk level to verified if i have completed the requirement,all it's ok but the monk master don't want to do something and i can't open the master's door.

The platform of the monk master move a little bit like a glitch,on the walkthrought video the platform don't move like this.

Edit:

I quit and reload the game a lot of time and the monk master do what he have to do..........

A frustrating bug here on the Time-Traveller section that is preventing me from progressing:

1KGEOKhSwwA

The rock is essentially unmovable...

Just experienced some kind of glitch with my save file. Playing on Steam (Windows 8), after two play-throughs, I went back to start my third and the game acted like it was my first play-through: all cave paintings gone, guitar/skull/thespianship award were the initial treasures. Looked in C:\Users\Me\AppData\Roaming\Doublefine\TheCave and found auto.sav, prefs.sav, unlocks.sav, and screen.dat, all just created. There was also a folder called 76561198000901979 that had another auto.sav, prefs.sav, and unlocks.sav, with modification dates of three days ago (when I finished my second play-through). Copying these older files over the newer files in TheCave folder seems to have restored my old data.

Granite: Replied in your thread, but that's fixed in the next patch =)

Fiat Nox: That sounds like you logged in on a different steam account, you didn't accidentally switch accounts did you?

Been playing Time Traveller / Knight / Twins in the Mac version and have encountered a bug in the Twins house.

After going through the whole umbrella, fuse, activate dumbwaiter thing, I try to get the Twins into the dumbwaiter using their ghost power. However, without any success: The Twins' ghost form briefly appears at the lever and the Twins themselves respawn at the entrance to the kitchen, making it impossible for the the Twins to use the dumbwaiter to travel. It makes the game unplayable with these characters.

Nope, I've only got one account and never sign out. However, if I recall correctly, the problem occurred after I launched the game from Steam and a UAC elevation prompt came up which I accidentally declined. The game started normally after declining, but saves were gone, even after quitting and restarting, until I went hunting for them in the AppData folder.

Sign in to follow this