Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Howlstone

Do you want bugs to be reported?

Been playing Time Traveller / Knight / Twins in the Mac version and have encountered a bug in the Twins house.

After going through the whole umbrella, fuse, activate dumbwaiter thing, I try to get the Twins into the dumbwaiter using their ghost power. However, without any success: The Twins' ghost form briefly appears at the lever and the Twins themselves respawn at the entrance to the kitchen, making it impossible for the the Twins to use the dumbwaiter to travel. It makes the game unplayable with these characters.

Could you check your button mapping? It sounds like you have the insta-kill function bound to the same button as Use Special ability and want to make sure if you do/don't.

Nope, I've only got one account and never sign out. However, if I recall correctly, the problem occurred after I launched the game from Steam and a UAC elevation prompt came up which I accidentally declined. The game started normally after declining, but saves were gone, even after quitting and restarting, until I went hunting for them in the AppData folder.

Ok, that's why. Steam got blocked due to the UAC denial, so the save games got placed in Doublefine\TheCave instead of Doublefine\TheCave\[steamID].

I'm in the Monk's level on the WiiU, where you have to ride the 3 flying carpets up without picking up the Objects of Desire (I looked online at an FAQ, supposedly a rope will spawn so I can climb through the top). But even if I just stand still, I can't get out the ceiling--the carpets just vanish and we fall to our deaths since no rope spawns. I tried going to the right and picking up the time traveler's story art, breaking that bridge, falling down and going again, but I still can't get passed this part.

Quitting the game and going back in doesn't fix it. Is this a game breaking bug? Or am I just missing something...?

GAME BREAKING BUG in the adventurer's pyramid

(Playing with adventurer/time traveler/knight)

Bug occurs at the part where you press the bunny button to open the hatch to the room with all the other animal buttons.

I was standing on the bunny button as the adventurer, and I stood before the hatch as the time traveler and then switched back to the adventurer and jumped off the button to see if it would close the hatch (I just wanted to see if the button was affecting anything) and when I changed back to the time traveler she was stuck inside the wall. I could move around, and I dropped down further but I couldn't get out until I pressed the kill button. Afterwards I went back to the hatch to the animal button room and jumped inside as the knight, then the hatch closed. The hatch won't open again, and you need two people in that room to progress. I can't get another person in that room.

I'm thinking the game thought the time traveler entered that room while I was walking around on the inside of the wall.

EDIT: I fixed this by removing "AdventurerBubble_AllInSpikeRoom" from my save file

GAME BREAKING BUG in the adventurer's pyramid

(Playing with adventurer/time traveler/knight)

Bug occurs at the part where you press the bunny button to open the hatch to the room with all the other animal buttons.

I was standing on the bunny button as the adventurer, and I stood before the hatch as the time traveler and then switched back to the adventurer and jumped off the button to see if it would close the hatch (I just wanted to see if the button was affecting anything) and when I changed back to the time traveler she was stuck inside the wall. I could move around, and I dropped down further but I couldn't get out until I pressed the kill button. Afterwards I went back to the hatch to the animal button room and jumped inside as the knight, then the hatch closed. The hatch won't open again, and you need two people in that room to progress. I can't get another person in that room.

I'm thinking the game thought the time traveler entered that room while I was walking around on the inside of the wall.

This should be fixed next patch now!

I'm in the Monk's level on the WiiU, where you have to ride the 3 flying carpets up without picking up the Objects of Desire (I looked online at an FAQ, supposedly a rope will spawn so I can climb through the top). But even if I just stand still, I can't get out the ceiling--the carpets just vanish and we fall to our deaths since no rope spawns. I tried going to the right and picking up the time traveler's story art, breaking that bridge, falling down and going again, but I still can't get passed this part.

Quitting the game and going back in doesn't fix it. Is this a game breaking bug? Or am I just missing something...?

PMing you with solution since don't want to give away spoilers.

Oscan: Setting up a system to try and repro this issue, so hopefully we'll have either a workaround or a fix for you soon.

Thanks.

I am also having the same problem with TheCherrieSherrie and gazeux_snake. My adventurer and hillbilly can't climb ledges off ladders so I am unable to complete the adventurer's pyramid area because instead of grabbing the ledge, she keeps falling back down.

I am using an Asian PS3. Do we even know if this is the cause of the problem? Hopefully this will be fixed soon.

Hello,

Am also facing the problem with the Adventure being unable to jump off the ladder and onto the ledge :(

Asian PS3 here. Please fix as I was really enjoying it! Wondering whether to just restart a new game, but will be pointless if the same type of bug happens for other levels. :(

Hello,

Am also facing the problem with the Adventure being unable to jump off the ladder and onto the ledge :(

Asian PS3 here. Please fix as I was really enjoying it! Wondering whether to just restart a new game, but will be pointless if the same type of bug happens for other levels. :(

Don't bother restarting, I tried it and it doesn't work.

Hello,

Don't bother restarting, I tried it and it doesn't work.

Well actually meant restarting but using other characters. lol. Ah well, thanks for the tip anyway, cause was gonna try that as well!

Well actually meant restarting but using other characters. lol. Ah well, thanks for the tip anyway, cause was gonna try that as well!

I doubt it will work. I tried it with adventurer, hillbilly and scientist. Only the scientist is able to climb up. Regardless of whether it works for other characters, we still can't get all trophies. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

I don't think these bugs have been reported, apologies if they have:

1. When at the final ladder climb, after the third character's art comes up the character has to climb up to rejoin the others but then the popup to switch character comes up and switching characters at this point causes a glitch where the character still on the ladder does not come back up and trying to switch to that character to bring him/her up causes the character to fall at each time. After some running around with the characters who got out, the glitched character can appear back on top but keeps falling into the ladder again until somehow the ending credits play.

2. In the Hillbilly section, *START SPOILER!!!* using the lighter causes the fire but does not burn the hay away, reloading the game makes it disappear *END SPOILER!!!*

3. If a character has already unlocked the good ending then climbs up and triggers the bad ending, the 2 versions of the art flash alternatingly for each vignette. The art browser in the menu works properly though.

EDIT:

4. Sometimes when starting the game (PC version) and having a hardware accelerated application such as Firefox running, some of the menu overlays don't work such as the mist effect on the text, the company logos on startup and the Loading text on top of the clouds. This has also happened when one instance of the game is closing and another is being launched. I'm not sure there is a check for resource locks or number of instances but that could help resolve this.

And a small question: is it normal for bad ending characters not to show up at the exit after the ending art?

2. In the Hillbilly section, *START SPOILER!!!* using the lighter causes the fire but does not burn the hay away, reloading the game makes it disappear *END SPOILER!!!*

For some reason you have to run all the way to the left to "view your destruction" before the hay bales will explode letting you past. This annoyed me too as there's no real reason to do that.

And a small question: is it normal for bad ending characters not to show up at the exit after the ending art?

Yes....although I'm not sure why

For some reason you have to run all the way to the left to "view your destruction" before the hay bales will explode letting you past. This annoyed me too as there's no real reason to do that.

Thanks dgman! Oh so that's why, just like in the scientist bit, making it more obvious would have been good. As for the not coming out I think because it's the bad ending they did not learn their lesson and The Cave, well, "punished" them for it by probably removing that ladder and making an exception to the "There's no dying in the cave rule". He can always claim they're lost somewhere to the insurance agents :P

And one more thing: I've noticed in many occasions that directional keyboard input has to be repeated on PC, probably something to do with how console gamepad input is being mapped to keyboard causing input loss. As this happens when the characters are already not moving (such as after a cutscene or when switching characters) and attempting to move them then, it's not game-killing but if there's an incoming patch might as well fix it all!

I had it not crash, but get stuck. (playing on the pc)

On the twin's level.

I sent all of my characters (twins, knight, adventurer) down past the bones to where the dog is; the left side of him mapwise.

My thought was to see if they could tempt it with a bone... this failed.

However, during my characters assent i found that the knight would get stuck on one of the ledges; you run left, climb, then you have to jump up and right onto the next ledge... then i think there's a second on the right before you can run right and then jump up left. It's on that second right jump (so started from left of the dog: left climb, jump right up, up right) that the 'Knight' would freak out. About 1 6th of his body would get stuck in the ledge as he pulls himself up.

Now i exited and reloaded this 4 times before he was able to continue his journey. I definitely think this is worth looking into if you can as it frustrated the hell outta me! (much to the monk's appreciation i'm sure)

ps. I managed to keep ahold of the princesses heart token all the way until the endgame and the giftshop guy refused it as a trinket! Plus where's my achievement for that! I was really holding out for something good to come from lugging that around with me :)

And one more thing: I've noticed in many occasions that directional keyboard input has to be repeated on PC, probably something to do with how console gamepad input is being mapped to keyboard causing input loss. As this happens when the characters are already not moving (such as after a cutscene or when switching characters) and attempting to move them then, it's not game-killing but if there's an incoming patch might as well fix it all!

This keyboard bug needs to be emphisized because it makes keyboard control feel so much less responsive.

ps. I managed to keep ahold of the princesses heart token all the way until the endgame and the giftshop guy refused it as a trinket! Plus where's my achievement for that! I was really holding out for something good to come from lugging that around with me :)

the postcard in the gift shop is something worth dragging around.

the postcard in the gift shop is something worth dragging around.

Until the end of game?

Until the end of game?

Yes, well, not through storage. This is gong of topic so if you nede to know more you'll have to pm me.

Sorry for bringing it up.

Until the end of game?

Yes, well, not through storage. This is gong of topic so if you nede to know more you'll have to pm me.

Sorry for bringing it up.

But you've peeked my interest now! You can't throw me a snippet like that and pull away the payoff. I need closure!

Figured it out, the characters who get the bad ending show up as corpses and provide the starting trinkets on the next playthrough. All character corpses and artworks can be seen through the videos here: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/671773-the-cave/65287282

In the missile silo area I pulled all the fruit out of the fruit bowl then hit save and quit and exited the game. Upon continuing the game the bananas were no longer present and there were no more to get from the fruit bowl. I thought maybe i'd just misplaced them, but I spent an hour double checking and scanning the level but there are nowhere to be found. It really sucks since it was the last of my characters' areas so I'll have to start the whole game over again from the top.

If you interact with the fruit bowl again, it doesn't happen to give the item to you, does it? I mostly want to know if the problem is the fruit disappearing, or the graphic not appearing for a full bowl.

I have the same bug in WiiU.

I see all the fruit of the bowl. Save the game, and another day appear the aple, the pear, but no the bananas. And the bowl not make nothing pushing X or A button (WiiU).

;-(

Please Help !

Found a bug in WiiU version where you can swim in the rock formation. I'm posting the video up on youtube(should be up in a few

doesnt seem to break the game or anything.. Great game BTW :) Beat it once now i gotta go back and find the 1 painting i'm missing for each person :)... and play as the other characters...

I've made a thread about this bug but I thought that I'd post it here too. I found a gamebreaking bug for The cave on xbox360. I’m on the island and a Crate is stuck on a beam. I’m unable to move it and unable to continue my game. What should I do?

In the missile silo area I pulled all the fruit out of the fruit bowl then hit save and quit and exited the game. Upon continuing the game the bananas were no longer present and there were no more to get from the fruit bowl. I thought maybe i'd just misplaced them, but I spent an hour double checking and scanning the level but there are nowhere to be found. It really sucks since it was the last of my characters' areas so I'll have to start the whole game over again from the top.

If you interact with the fruit bowl again, it doesn't happen to give the item to you, does it? I mostly want to know if the problem is the fruit disappearing, or the graphic not appearing for a full bowl.

I have the same bug in WiiU.

I see all the fruit of the bowl. Save the game, and another day appear the aple, the pear, but no the bananas. And the bowl not make nothing pushing X or A button (WiiU).

;-(

Please Help !

We put in a speculative fix for this issue since we're having difficulties reproducing it in house. When the patch goes live, the banana should appear in front of the fruit bowl in this situation.

Found a bug in WiiU version where you can swim in the rock formation. I'm posting the video up on youtube(should be up in a few

doesnt seem to break the game or anything.. Great game BTW :) Beat it once now i gotta go back and find the 1 painting i'm missing for each person :)... and play as the other characters...

Ahahaha oh man that's kind of hilarious, I'll send that along to the team. =D

We put in a speculative fix for this issue since we're having difficulties reproducing it in house. When the patch goes live, the banana should appear in front of the fruit bowl in this situation.

Thanks for your reply and response !!

I wait the patch in WiiU soon !

Thanks all Double Fine for your response and help !

I doubt it will work. I tried it with adventurer, hillbilly and scientist. Only the scientist is able to climb up. Regardless of whether it works for other characters, we still can't get all trophies. Hopefully they will fix it soon.

I have the same problem. On my second playthrough, have a Japanese PS3 (slim, if that matters) and cannot complete the pyramid level because I cannot jump off the latter at the top. Sucks because I was really getting into it and now I can just restart or give up.

I have the same problem. On my second playthrough, have a Japanese PS3 (slim, if that matters) and cannot complete the pyramid level because I cannot jump off the latter at the top. Sucks because I was really getting into it and now I can just restart or give up.

Yeah was really getting into it too :( Will prob restart but with different characters other than the Adventurer. Ah well! Hope the patch comes out sooooooon!

Sign in to follow this