Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Rachet20

Stuck at 30 FPS as well as the screen seems to be vibrating slightly

Just a tiny bit of a bug report and a call for help. My game is stuck at 30 FPS Which is a framerate I usually try to stay above. Is there a way to fix this? Is it one of the games options or maybe there's something I can change in an .INI file?

I also get this strange effect where the game seems to be vibrating. It happens while in the Steam overlay as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The 30FPS cap is because of the engine (the engine was originally made for a console game, and 30FPS is the norm on consoles), and while they intend to remove that cap someday, it may not come for a while since it's not a very simple fix.

As for the vibrating, have you checked the settings? Make sure it's set to 60Hz, or whatever is appropriate for your monitor. It seems to default to 29/30Hz for some reason or another, and it looks kinda bad at that setting.

Ah. That's too bad about the framerate. Oh well, the game seems worth it.

You know, going straight to the resolution settings is usually one of the first things I do with a game but for some reason I didn't even notice it was at the wrong resolution this time. Its now set to 1920x1080 with 59 Hz and is vibrating 100% less. Much less nauseating. Thank you very much, can't believe I missed something so simple.

Well, that explains it. Guess I'll have to be patient and wait. My poor little computer can run the game fine, but the 30fps is making it way too choppy to play.

Or at least I hope that's the thing. Otherwise I'll have to wait several years to get a better PC. Oops.

Ah, it´s a OSX Problem. I instaled the game using windows 7 on the same mashine and it´s running as smoth as butter now.

I think the mac portion can be fixed though, i fooled around with different screen resolutions and got barley any improvement. This is a bit frustrating since i own the latest iMac (only the mid range model with 640M nVidea, yet still a Computer that is just about a month on the marked - whats the point in releasing a Mac Version if it dossent even work smoth on the latest computer?)

I know that gameing on the Mac is a bit different because it lacks driver qualety and splits the computers power up differently from windows, but i play a bunch of games on the OSX partition that should be more demanding but don´t stutter.

For now i will stick with the Win Version. Would love to see this fixed though.

Ah, it´s a OSX Problem. I instaled the game using windows 7 on the same mashine and it´s running as smoth as butter now.

I think the mac portion can be fixed though, i fooled around with different screen resolutions and got barley any improvement. This is a bit frustrating since i own the latest iMac (only the mid range model with 640M nVidea, yet still a Computer that is just about a month on the marked - whats the point in releasing a Mac Version if it dossent even work smoth on the latest computer?)

I know that gameing on the Mac is a bit different because it lacks driver qualety and splits the computers power up differently from windows, but i play a bunch of games on the OSX partition that should be more demanding but don´t stutter.

The performance should be very similar between OSX and Windows on the same machine. Can you elaborate a bit more about the issues you were seeing on the OSX version and how they differ from what you see on Windows? Does it perform similarly at the same resolution or are you seeing Refresh Rate as the major difference?

The performance should be very similar between OSX and Windows on the same machine. Can you elaborate a bit more about the issues you were seeing on the OSX version and how they differ from what you see on Windows? Does it perform similarly at the same resolution or are you seeing Refresh Rate as the major difference?

In the beginning i ran the game "out of the box", which i think means best resolution possible and all effect and quality boxes ticket. I fooled around a bit, but on "high" settings it would not run smooth on OSX, when i did something silly like 800x600 it was smooth aswell.

I don´t know how exactly to phrase these... i would call my OSX experience problem "droped frames", but i am not sure if that technically is the right term. It just feels choppy.

Fun Fact, i downloaded the game to my MacBook (NVIDIA GeForce 9400M 256 MB, 8 GB 1067 MHz DDR3, 2 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) at first. I deleted it right away because of the same performance issue thinking it would work nicely on my new iMac and why wouldend i play my new game on my new computer to get best performance.

I´ll download it to the MacBook again now to compare performance, because it kinda felt "the same" after running it on my iMac. (but than again the MacBook should be far closer to minimum specs than the iMac)

Both Mashines use Mountain Lion. Since i switched to SSD i currently have no Win7 on my MacBook.

Ok, tested it on my MacBook. Not only is it not smooth, it also seems like the image is comming later than the sound (i hear the sound of the character landing before he actually dos) - When i turn of everything exept vsync on the preset resolution (12?? x 800) it runs a bit smoother but not as good as on the new iMac using Windows.

We have several reports now of retina Macbook's (which have a very similar GPU to your iMac) having similarly strangely "stuttery" behavior. We think it's maybe a driver issue but are investigating to see if we can figure out a workaround.

I love that i live in germany yet still get a faster personal response than calling a helpline in germany about something silly like lost mail. :)

I love that i live in germany yet still get a faster personal response than calling a helpline in germany about something silly like lost mail. :)

We do everything we can to make sure that everyone who supports us and buys one of our games has a great experience. Very happy to hear that you noticed :)

FYI that a new patch just went live. This patch fixes the following issues:

* Bad performance on new iMacs and MBPs with NV 6xx GPUs (such as the high end MBP retinas). OSX performance is now as good or better than Windows.

* Crash at the bottom of the bridge fall for people playing on Macbook Air's with Intel HD 4000 chipsets (and possibly others).

* Crash on save in OSX for people playing in some languages in certain circumstances..

* Unnecessarily low framerate in Windows and OSX caused by the game defaulting to the wrong refresh rate on some displays.

* Possible fix for the "black screen but sound" bug on Windows and one flavor of the "crashes immediately on startup" bugs.

Nice, but now the game won´t start anymore on my iMac. :-D (MacBook still dos)

Send you the crash report to suport@...

Nice, but now the game won´t start anymore on my iMac. :-D (MacBook still dos)

Send you the crash report to suport@...

We got your crashlog and have a fix for it. I'll push an update later today. FWIW, you crash is random, somehing todo w/ system settings. If you try to start a few times or restart, it'll work w/ the new patch just fine.

Sign in to follow this