Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shandyman

How do I get the game?

Hey guys, I backed the game at the $30 level, but never received an email with my Steam Code. Is there some page that I have to go to in order the receive it?

Thanks for any help!

Hey guys, I backed the game at the $30 level, but never received an email with my Steam Code. Is there some page that I have to go to in order the receive it?

Thanks for any help!

Hey shandyman,

The game isn't actually finished. One of the things included in your $30 is your right to join in with the creative process and help influence it. As such, they couldn't have already finished the game because then we wouldn't be able to have our input.

They release regular video updates that informs you of their progress, stay tuned.

I was under the impression the game we kickstarted turned into the Cave. Isn't that right? What the heck did we kickstart then?

I was under the impression the game we kickstarted turned into the Cave. Isn't that right? What the heck did we kickstart then?

"The Cave" is a completely separate project, headed by Ron Gilbert (and very much worth the asking price!). The Kickstarter game is in development at the moment, it's going to be some time before it will be ready to be released.

"The Cave" is a completely separate project, headed by Ron Gilbert (and very much worth the asking price!). The Kickstarter game is in development at the moment, it's going to be some time before it will be ready to be released.

Gotcha. Thanks for clearing it up for me. I guess I was just confused. Off to buy the cave now!

The cave is awesome and hilarious, go get it!

but... any news on beta of DFA release date?

Any dates at all for DFA? Cannot find anything.

I mean, it's clear they missed the mark of October 2012, but a kickstarter update on the subject would have been great.

The cave is awesome and hilarious, go get it!

but... any news on beta of DFA release date?

Any dates at all for DFA? Cannot find anything.

I mean, it's clear they missed the mark of October 2012, but a kickstarter update on the subject would have been great.

They did an update on the release date through Kickstarter, but it came along with the Documentary episode, so is understandable how you would miss it.

Currently the game is stated to be released Fall 2013.

I really, really wish they made the (tenuous) release date clearly visible somewhere so people don’t keep asking (you’re not the first, and likely not the last).

Thanks for asking the question as l actually thought the game was "The Cave" too!

So your not the only one ;-)

Thanks for asking the question as l actually thought the game was "The Cave" too!

So your not the only one ;-)

Haha, that's pretty funny. As cool as The Cave is, I believe DFA will be better. :)

HA! LOL! I also thought that the game I backed was the Cave too. =) odd. Oh well, guess I'll buy the Cave now then. =)

They did an update on the release date through Kickstarter, but it came along with the Documentary episode, so is understandable how you would miss it.

Not in the entire page of the project, in the rewards still says "October 2012".

Not in the entire page of the project, in the rewards still says "October 2012".

The information is in the actual Episode (7), they are talking about it at around 24:40.

The rewards date was set when the project went live, and Kickstarter does not allow them to change it, that was back when the budget was supposed to be $400k and not what it ended up being.

But as I said before, given that people keep asking the date (even back when it was set to come out in April) they obviously haven't communicated the release date clearly enough.

Last I heard the date was "not April", that leaves a few options :)

I'm guessing that given delays they don't want to make this a firm statement, like a large countdown timer, but maybe it's just an oversight.

The fact that people still confuse DFA with the cave is unfortunate and should be somehow clearly visible to backers.

Last I heard the date was "not April", that leaves a few options :)

I'm guessing that given delays they don't want to make this a firm statement, like a large countdown timer, but maybe it's just an oversight.

The fact that people still confuse DFA with the cave is unfortunate and should be somehow clearly visible to backers.

I did say in my first post in this very thread that the release is currently scheduled for autumn 2012. In the documentary Episode they talked about September in specific, but I kept it open since one-two month delay for polish is not uncommon and keep in mind that they can barely afford to keep development going for that long, two extra months if they do happen are probably going to be QA than development (also we haven’t officially heard of a new release date outside of what’s mentioned in the episode, so I don’t even know if September stands 100%).

April which was the previous release date, was never ‘officially’ announced either, people figured it out from their post-it bulletin board development schedule visible in one of the Episodes. I think Remo confirmed it in some random post somewhere after that, but don’t quote me on that my memory is not what it used to be.

The confusion between this project and The Cave was there from day 1 (a bit ironic if you consider that as of this time we don’t even know if Ron has/will have any involvement with this project), I’m sure a lot of bystanders that were interested in the project but didn’t pledge (or slack back) probably consider this project over and done with due to that. The insistence of Sega/DF whoever’s idea it was to market The Cave as an ‘adventure’ didn’t help matters either since it only added to the confusion, particularly due to the pitch claims that Publishers don’t fund adventure games.

It is rather unfortunate that the Kickstarter project that started the whole phenomenon and was pitched with promises of transparency is the most cloudy of them all and though I don’t think any backer intends to ‘pressure’ them to release the game whenever, letting us know when the approximate release is, and giving us an update when it changes, is common courtesy.

I did say in my first post in this very thread that the release is currently scheduled for autumn 2012. In the documentary Episode they talked about September in specific, but I kept it open since one-two month delay for polish is not uncommon and keep in mind that they can barely afford to keep development going for that long, two extra months if they do happen are probably going to be QA than development (also we haven’t officially heard of a new release date outside of what’s mentioned in the episode, so I don’t even know if September stands 100%).

They said schedule is for September assuming $1.1M additional cost and increase in team size and other "ifs". It's just a meeting with an option, it doesn't mean Autumn or any season for that matter. The last thing I remember is Greg saying that it's past April and they have to figure out when that is.

April which was the previous release date, was never ‘officially’ announced either, people figured it out from their post-it bulletin board development schedule visible in one of the Episodes. I think Remo confirmed it in some random post somewhere after that, but don’t quote me on that my memory is not what it used to be.

I think the board was there to give a full view of the plan. It wasn't zoomed out, blurred out or anything that will cause you to wonder why it's even on the screen if they don't want to show it. Also you have the board empty at the end so really no date was given.

All I'm saying, you may be right on the date/timeframe, but it's still speculation.

It is rather unfortunate that the Kickstarter project that started the whole phenomenon and was pitched with promises of transparency is the most cloudy of them all and though I don’t think any backer intends to ‘pressure’ them to release the game whenever, letting us know when the approximate release is, and giving us an update when it changes, is common courtesy.

I don't think it's not transparent, they seem to rely a lot on the episodes for these updates. Like you I assume that they figured out at least some of the details since that video. I agree with you that having someone like Greg post an update is much better than just releasing the info with the episode and let the people here discuss things that may be totally irrelevant at this point. The forum can focus on real-time updates and the episodes will show you behind the scenes and things you couldn't really capture in an update.

All I'm saying, you may be right on the date/timeframe, but it's still speculation.

I re-watched that part of the documentary and you’re probably right. I still think that September is probably a safe bet, but is a bet and not a fact.

We are getting close to the 1 year anniversary of the Kickstarter campaign, and as of right now we don’t even have an official release date.

I’m not suggesting they are hiding it on purpose, is probably an oversight from their apparent decision to restrict (important) information with the Documentary Episodes probably in order to keep them relevant, though that’s my hypothesis. This has lead to us receiving updates on the project, with a two-month delay on average due to the long processing time of the Episodes, the fact that most additional posts take the form of a game design seminar than actual updates, doesn’t help either (interesting in their own right, but not as progress updates).

I can live with the Episode information release delay, if they at least expanded upon the information released with an Episode with relevant more in-depth information through posts (though we will still be talking about old news) after the fact.

I’m not bothered enough to contact Remo or Greg directly and ask for a release date, and honestly I shouldn’t have to. And even if they gave me a direct accurate reply, it doesn’t matter if I know, it matters if every backer can find out easily when the game they paid for is supposed to be coming out.

It's quite common that games have shifting release dates, even those that are slated to come out in specific quarters each year only nail down a date within a month of two of release (just look at Blizzard for example). So by wanting them to alert you when they think the game will be released, when they haven't decided how much more money and time to invest would be entirely pointless tight now since that date would probably be shifted. It also puts unwarranted pressure on the team. They have some important decisions to make regarding the project, i don't see why knowing a release date is important. The game will be released when the team has finished on making their game the best it can be. Until then continue to watch how much work goes into a game and appreciate the extra lengths that they are going through in order to make the project we're funding the best it can be.

I don't think it's about pressure, they communicated the release date when it was known back then. Admittedly it was done via an episode, but still, it was clearly stated. There's probably a new board somewhere close to Greg, they could simply communicate the new date.

Telling the backers the schedule doesn't increase the pressure, the real pressure is the amount of money left since people get paid for this job. The approach you mentioned is more appropriate in a project where people volunteer in which case the statement "it's going to be ready when it's ready" is very relevant.

Waiting for the next episode for this info to come is unnecessary in my opinion. It doesn't really have an impact if we know this or not, it's plain curiosity, nothing more.

The release date was never known mind you. Kickstarter simply requires to give a delivery date.

I'm quite baffled how anyone would think The Cave was the Kickstarter project. Not trying to be funny but anyone who has pledged to DFA must also follow the documentary right? Or at least have some sort of interest in what's going on? When was The Cave ever mentioned in the same breath as Kickstarter?

I'm quite baffled how anyone would think The Cave was the Kickstarter project. Not trying to be funny but anyone who has pledged to DFA must also follow the documentary right? Or at least have some sort of interest in what's going on? When was The Cave ever mentioned in the same breath as Kickstarter?

about 80,000 people backed the project... not all of them are going to be much attention :)

Is not just because of people’s ignorance though. DF gave the message during the pitch that they wanted us to help them make an adventure game because Publisher’s wouldn’t fund them.

The Cave comes out around the time DFA was supposed to come out and they’re like “hey guys here’s an adventure game!”. The result is not all that surprising really.

My theory is, as I said it since the first trailer that called the game an adventure came out, that Sega wanted to borrow from the immense publicity DF gathered form it’s DFA campaign and tried to push the game as an ‘adventure’ given the creator’s past (and supposed involvement with this project) and the game’s own gameplay leanings it wasn’t that hard to do. The confusion may have hurt this project but only helps The Cave if people bought it thinking it was the much publicized DFA, Sega wins from The Cave sales they get 0 from DFA so that’s no concern of theirs.

As for DF and Ron going along with it, well that’s what is expected of them. Is not selling out, is not being dishonest, is being a professional, you want to play in this industry you gotta kick the ball just like your Publisher wants you, is only natural is their money on the line. This is exactly why some Developers are so eager to break away from that model.

Of course on top of all that, even people like my self who try to stay informed can’t possibly follow 10+ or however many Kickstarter projects they backed, there’s only so much time you can spare in one day. And since this project basically requires you to watch a 30 min+ documentary Episode every time you want to see what’s up, it is also not that surprising that a lot of the backers who are less invested in this project don’t have the gist of it.

How do you know that Ron doesn't really think The Cave is an adventure game though? If it doesn't fit your definition of what an adventure game is that's fine, but don't impose that definition on other people.

The Cave is not an adventure game because its gameplay elements do not compose it as one.

Of course that is if we consider it a ‘traditional’ adventure game (like Reds is supposed to be), it clearly has adventure game elements, where the comparison fails is its similarity with a pre-established genre which is Puzzle Platformers, since it plays exactly like one, only it has placed it’s emphasis on inventory based puzzles instead of a different variety like gravity, etc.

This isn’t as much about my ‘interpretation’ of what it is but what its actual individual components make it out to be.

There was a moment pretty early on in the game that utterly convinced me it was a Puzzle Platformer.

I started my first playthrough by picking up the Knight, the Twins and The Time Traveler.

When you are supposed to get the key so you can open the gate to the Dragon, I didn’t even climb that high to see it and I instead picked up the gold using the Knight to distract the Dragon and the Time Traveler to pass through the locked gate. Never mind the wtf moment when the Princess was screaming about the idiot who let the gate open (hint: it wasn’t me) when I was climbing up the castle the where no crossbow knights there (in fact I didn’t know of their existence until a few playthroughs later) and the cage up top had vanished. On my way up though, I notice the Knight painting and was baffled as how I was supposed to get it (no cage remember). What I ended up doing was dropping with the Knight from an angle and activating his power, and managed to land in the middle floor where the painting was.

My experience above sounds like Puzzle Platformer 101, granted there was some sort of a bug involved, but that was hardly my fault and the are other moments in the game that legitimately play in a similar way.

Of course you can interpret the gameplay of the game however you want; though I have a feeling your reasons are mostly based on loyalty and affection for DF/Ron than objective observation, but to each his own.

I don’t claim to really know how Ron really wants to define his game, which is why my previous post presents a theory and not a fact.

I have reasons to believe otherwise however, besides the one mentioned in the previous post, Ron was asked if he was working on an adventure game even before the game was named as The Cave and before DFA was a reality, and he replied something akin to “Its not an adventure game but adventure fans will like it”. Try as I may, I can’t find the source, maybe somebody else can help out with that. The other thing is his 30 minute discussion with Tim, when the conversation shifted to Limbo, his opinion was that it wasn’t an adventure game, and let’s just say that Limbo is a lot more similar to The Cave than Monkey Island is.

Don’t take me wrong though, I have great respect for Ron, and if my theory has even a hint of being correct I can understand how frustrating the situation may have been for him, but I can’t just close my eyes and pretend The Cave is something it is not.

Even with all that aside, the unnecessary confusion created among these two games is a fact, hopefully with some more Public exposure of this game the message will reach most people.

Sign in to follow this