Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
return0

Game-breaking Bug in the Scientist's Level (Spoliers)?

Game is out a day and I think I already broke it. This is why I can't have nice things...

After starting the rocket boosters in the Scientist's level, the door in the control room did not open for me after coming back up in the elevator. Walkthrough videos I found (once I began to suspect this was more than just a really hard puzzle) show the door opening after you reenter the room. Am I missing something? If not, is my only choice here to start a new game?

q4fOTe1VlRc

Did you try using the scientist's special ability right in front of the door?

I'm not sure if that's the solution, but I just played this and used that on several doors and consoles to get around the area...

Sadly I also have the same problem.

After taking the elevator and 'hacking' the computer panel. the door just won't open.

I've seen the same thing occur in some YouTube playthroughs (

) and even in the (currently only) walktrough on gamefaqs (http://www.gamefaqs.com/pc/671772-the-cave/faqs/65849#section44) it has been noted. Both solve the issue by going down again with the elevator, checking the surroundings for a bit and going up again. The door will suddenly open this time.

Doesn't work for me though, sadly.

Here's also someone else who seems to have the problem: http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/671772-the-cave/65307329

I'm really hoping that I've missed something obvious, but my current bet is that it's a gamebreaking bug :(

It's actually an intentional design choice to make you guys go back down first. Partly to make you guys go "Oh, can't get there, have to get rid of this rocket", partly because the animation of the rocket warming up as you go down is pretty awesome to watch.

It's actually an intentional design choice to make you guys go back down first. Partly to make you guys go "Oh, can't get there, have to get rid of this rocket", partly because the animation of the rocket warming up as you go down is pretty awesome to watch.

When this bug occurs, the door won't open even after going back down first, leaving the player completely stuck (see the video). Talking with other people who have had the same problem, the bug may be triggered by saving and exiting the game after going back down, but before going back up.

For anyone currently suffering from this problem, Here is a fix for the PC version found by zeta1 of these forums. If you are on a console, I think the only choices are to wait for the bug to be patched or start a new game.

1. Go to C:Users(USERNAME)AppDataRoamingDoublefineTheCave(NUMBERS) to see your save called "auto.sav", make a copy of that file as a backup, we will be working with the original file.

2. Open the original "auto.sav" in Notepad or even better in Notepad++ (any text editor will do).

3. CTRL+F and find "CompletedRequirements=", then search for "ScientistBubble_BlastDoorUnlocked,ScientistBubble_RocketOn"

4. Add ",ScientistBubble_LaserDoorUnlocked" after the latest "ScientistBubble_" entry you see (should be the ones in step 3 in fact) then save the modified file.

5. Load the game and the door will be unlocked!

6. You can also restart the launch sequence and redo the hack and therefore have a chance at passing this part of the game normally by deleting "ScientistBubble_LaunchSequenceStarted,ScientistBubble_BlastDoorUnlocked,ScientistBubble_RocketOn" from the save so that when you load the terminal at the top still needs to be hacked!

Note: You can revert to earlier checkpoints too (although there is no need for that) by replacing "Cave_Scientist_CheckpointVolume1" in the save by Cave_Scientist_CheckpointVolume(bigger number), yes the bigger number refers to older locations.

Cheers!

zeta1

The intentional part is a bad design decision, the motivation should definitely be different.

Thanks for posting the fix return0! My forum account finally got confirmed and I've attempted to create a thread for recording all possible fixes via this method in this thread as well: http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/8564/

For anyone currently suffering from this problem, Here is a fix for the PC version found by zeta1 of these forums. If you are on a console, I think the only choices are to wait for the bug to be patched or start a new game.

1. Go to C:Users(USERNAME)AppDataRoamingDoublefineTheCave(NUMBERS) to see your save called "auto.sav", make a copy of that file as a backup, we will be working with the original file.

2. Open the original "auto.sav" in Notepad or even better in Notepad++ (any text editor will do).

3. CTRL+F and find "CompletedRequirements=", then search for "ScientistBubble_BlastDoorUnlocked,ScientistBubble_RocketOn"

4. Add ",ScientistBubble_LaserDoorUnlocked" after the latest "ScientistBubble_" entry you see (should be the ones in step 3 in fact) then save the modified file.

5. Load the game and the door will be unlocked!

6. You can also restart the launch sequence and redo the hack and therefore have a chance at passing this part of the game normally by deleting "ScientistBubble_LaunchSequenceStarted,ScientistBubble_BlastDoorUnlocked,ScientistBubble_RocketOn" from the save so that when you load the terminal at the top still needs to be hacked!

Note: You can revert to earlier checkpoints too (although there is no need for that) by replacing "Cave_Scientist_CheckpointVolume1" in the save by Cave_Scientist_CheckpointVolume(bigger number), yes the bigger number refers to older locations.

Cheers!

zeta1

Thanks! Works perfectly.

DF Justin: Like return0 said, the gate doesn't open when you go back down, check the surroundings and hop back on the elevator to return to the gate, on our save. (So I falsely assumed that going back down was part of the bug)

I THINK that I also quit the game after hacking the computer but before I went down. So that might be just where the bug occurs.

Hope you guys can patch it in the future. At least there's a workaround now, though.

Also, on a more positive note: I'm really enjoying the game so far and I think you guys did a great job!

The humor (as expected from a game by Double Fine :) ) is spot on.

Thanks! Works perfectly.

DF Justin: Like return0 said, the gate doesn't open when you go back down, check the surroundings and hop back on the elevator to return to the gate, on our save. (So I falsely assumed that going back down was part of the bug)

I THINK that I also quit the game after hacking the computer but before I went down. So that might be just where the bug occurs.

Hope you guys can patch it in the future. At least there's a workaround now, though.

Also, on a more positive note: I'm really enjoying the game so far and I think you guys did a great job!

The humor (as expected from a game by Double Fine :) ) is spot on.

Normally when you go down the door should open upstairs.

Gotcha, sorry I was mistaken at first!

Also, there's going to be a fix in for this in the next patch now.

Awesome! I still can't believe that my "I've tried everything and this is impossible" excuse for adventure games was right for once. If only I could use that same excuse for my failures at Monkey Island 2...

I'll keep an eye out for the patch and pull down the YouTube video once it has outlived its usefulness.

How is it that the PS3 version still hasn't been patched to fix this game breaker? :-/

Sadly, after playing Brutal Legend, this is the second Double Fine PS3 game with a simple bug that prevents me from achieving all suggested trophies and fully enjoying the purchased games. (this happened during my attempt at Who Wants to Live Forever, by the way, which makes it all the more infuriating)

I can't help but feel that that is highly disrespectful to us consumers, and will probably think twice before purchasing another DF product.

Sign in to follow this