Sign in to follow this  
steveau

Ranking characters after 3rd playthrough!

I recently finished my 3rd playthrough of the Cave, and wanted to share what I thought were the best and worst character/level combinations. If anyone else has 100% completion, feel free to contribute. From best to worst (to be fair, all were good):

1) The Twins

Reason: Perfect difficulty/immersive

2) The Knight

Reason: Oozing with theme/humor

3) The Adventurer

Reason: Not hugely difficult, but high-class level design

4) The Time Traveller

Reason: Amazing level, but I got stuck on an early 'out-of-sight/out-of-mind' puzzle

5) The Monk

Reason: Puzzles were a mixed bag (feather = ordinary, jugs = fantastic)

6) The Hillbilly

Reason: Good level, but not as good as the above five

7) The Scientist

Reason: Stage was a grey and dull

Well the third playthrough took me less than 2 hours... so it's not as bad as it looks!

1) The Twins

Awesome dark

2) The Knight

So humorous

3) The Scientist

Nuclear war who doesn't wanna do that

4) The Hillbilly

Fun carnaval

5) The Time Traveler

Love the time travel but allot of backtracking

6) The Adventurer

Pyramid was awesome

7) The Monk

The rally good one:

1) The Twins

2) The Scientist

3) The Knight

4) The Hillbilly

5) The Time Traveler

Not so good:

6) The Adventurer

Bad:

7) The Monk

Not character-specific:

1) The island (very good!)

2) The zoo (also very good)

3) Gold mine (good)

1) The island (very good!)

2) The zoo (also very good)

3) Gold mine (good)

The gold mine had some really funny lines, delivered by the old miner, although the puzzles were a little lacklustre.

The island was mostly pretty bad - finding a pipe piece and slotting it in doesn't really deserve to be called a puzzle, and the parrot puzzle, while decent, was perhaps too similar to the tape recorder in the zoo section (which itself didn't really have any redeeming qualities, I thought).

If The Twins offer a good difficulty then this is a rather easy game.

I am really surprised people are ranking the Hillbilly so low! He is by far my favorite (best puzzles in the game so far for me).

My favorites in order are (did not rank the Adventurer or Monk because they are still to come in my 3rd playthrough underway currently):

1. The Hillbilly (love the carnival and backstory)

2. The Knight (this seemed to be the shortest character puzzle sequence in the game but high on story)

3. The Twins (great puzzles and setup, but a lot of backtracking my first time through)

4. The Scientist (some fun puzzles, specifically the wet floor sign, but the idea itself seems terrible to begin with/least noble cause)

5. (tied) The Time-Traveler (the bucket puzzle really ruined this one for me on the first playthrough despite the story being solid)

5. (tied) The Monk (walking slowly with the petals and mixing the water juggs felt slow to me compared to the rest of the game)

6. The Adventurer (interesting story, but jumping between switches through the entire pyramid seemed less inspired than the other puzzles)

Edit: Found time to finish the rest of the "bad" playthroughs. I'd say the Adventurer probably goes last for me. I thought the stills/storyline were interesting, but the pyramid puzzles were a little weak (step on this switch, then that one, then back again, etc.). The Monk was not bad, but he was also not my favorite. I updated my timeline above with all the characters included.

I am really surprised people are ranking the Hillbilly so low! He is by far my favorite (best puzzles in the game so far for me).

I agree - the Hillybilly was the most puzzle-tastic, and therefore best. Also quite enjoyed the monk, although the water jug crap is best left to Layton.

Thought the time traveller and adventurer sections were the weakest.

I've gone through the game I think eight times now? The Hillbilly has always been in my team. He is the least useful outside of his own area (compare this to, say, the Monk, who can solo a number of puzzles), but I always enjoy romps through the carnival.

The TF2 items may have biased me towards making him my favorite, but he's always welcome in my expeditions.

The Knight area is kind of short and easy (even easier if you use the Monk), but still very funny and the Knight himself remains useful throughout if you are impatient with ladders or just want to not worry about interface flubs when trying to drop lit dynamite.

The monk may or may not be a game breaker in some places, but his area's puzzles tend to largely not involve the others and that's kind of dull, even though his brainteasers are very good.

Those were the three I used to do the no death run after a few tries.

The adventurer's story kind of explains itself too soon I think but her platforming-based stuff was a welcome breath of fresh air to me. I didn't really notice any places where she provided any serious puzzle shortcut benefits outside of maybe the island.

I really like the scientist's area, and she herself is decent for taking one or two character switches out of the equation in some places. I also like that she somehow weighs less than the adventurer (but she is shorter, so I guess that contributes to it). The puzzle involving figuring out the current day and which code was correct was probably a highlight, and yes, the wet floor sign was amazing.

The twins were cool but it was mostly a solo act until the very end. I guess that can't be helped, since they had to use the ghost ability in their area somehow. I don't recall many places where their ghosting really helped much other than maybe preventing the need to use a third character in one part of the zoo.

The time traveler I liked in terms of complexity, even with the bits of backtracking. The bucket thing wasn't so much an issue, it just took me a while to remember I could have a character hold onto something and then switch, haha. I could really only think of maybe one area outside of her zone where her ability provided a shortcut the monk's couldn't, but this may be my ignorance.

Really I can't think of any part I didn't like much other than the island and the monk's area. Maybe it was the parrot's voice that kind of grated on me a bit, the voice sounds a bit too... processed, somehow, too electronic-sounding. (Though the part where it mimicked the narrator was hilarious.)