Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  

seven deadly sins (spoilers)

so a kotaku writer thought the characters might embody the seven deadly sins and after one playthough i'm inclined to agree.

the scientist is very obviously greed

the adventurer seems very envious of her ex-partners' treasure find

the knight seems prideful as he plays at being the gallant hero

let's try to sort them all out

*I don't know how much of this discussion is inherently spoilery but I've tried to be vague.*

I'd have said the Time Traveller was more envious than the Adventurer - she's jealous of the Greatest Employee of All Time. If anything I'd say The Adventurer's fatal flaw was ambition - she hogs the spotlight until her partners kick her out then in her area she's perfectly willing to exploit others for her own gain. The Knight is actually pretty similar - he wants fame and prestige, but not to earn it. It's not pride because he's masquerading as someone else, not boasting about his own abilities. I agree the Scientist is all about greed, but I don't think it's actually a 7 sins metaphor - it doesn't fit cleanly enough.

My guesses would be:

Lust - Hillbilly - Wants nothing more than the two-legged girl

Sloth - Twins - Want to go outside and play

Wrath - Monk - Can't cut it in the monastery, so he takes it over

Envy - Time Traveler - Wants the accolades her rivalry gets

Pride - Knight - Thinks he's good enough to take the real knight's place

Greed - Adventurer - Wants the fame and fortune all to herself

Gluttony - Scientist

Gluttony is the hardest for me to pin down since there really is no one that interacts with food (unless you count the twins poisoning their parents). However, it can also be taken to mean "over-indulgence". Considering all the money the scientist gets and she still isn't happy, she seems to fit here, though this could easily be classified as greed as well.

I haven't done the Time Traveler and Monk yet, but from what I know I'd go with this.

Pride: Adventurer.

Envy: Time Traveler

Wrath: Monk

Sloth: Knight. He wants the glory of being a knight but is unwilling to do any of the heroic duties expected of one. He was also too lazy to close the gate. :P

Greed: Scientist.

Gluttony: Twins. This one's a bit of a stretch, but Gluttony can be interpreted as any sort of desire for excess and overindulgence. The Twins want to go outside and play all the time.

Lust: Hillbilly.

Here's the ones that are clear to me:

Scientist: Absolutely greed, her motives are financial

Adventurer: Pride, she's motivated by glory and fame more than material greed.

Knight: Sloth, he's lazy

Time Traveller: Envy, she's obsessed with her co-worker

Hillbilly: Lust for the two-legged woman (although there's an Envy component too)

Wrath: He's very anger-fueled

That leaves The Twins and Gluttony. The fact that they meat their demise by eating makes this sort of fit, but it's not a great fit. None of them are a great fit for gluttony.

I don't know about seven deadly sins, I think they just have defining human characteristics that aren't restricted by the 'deadly seven'.

For instance:

Greed: Scientist (only wants money)

Vanity: Adventurer (Fame and glory)

Cowardice: Knight (pretends to be brave, but can never follow through)

Envy: Time-Traveller

Love: Hillbilly (I think people are being a bit unfair saying he's just 'lustful', Love is a complex emotion and doesn't always lead to a good end)

Free Will: Twins (They are sick of being told what to do and just want to go and play).

Anger: Monk (unable to cope with not being good enough, he kills and replaces the Master)

Here's my theory on the sins:

Knight = sloth

his inaction destroyed an entire nation

Adventurer = greed

she cannot share her glory

Time Traveler = envy

She cannot stand someone else’s achievement

Scientist = gluttony

She will gladly indulge while the rest of the world suffers

hillbilly = lust

Pretty obvious, but his lusts drove him to insane jealousy for a woman who didn’t even know him.

Twins = wrath

They kill with no remorse, or reason, simply because they found something frustrating

Monk = pride

Cannot stand to not be recognized as the greatest, even when he hasn’t even begun to earn that mantle

Interesting theories, everyone! I loved playing the Scientist's Quest (and I'm a huge fan of Dr. Strangelove) but her story didn't make much sense- shouldn't she have been trying to stop the launch? It was hilarious in any case. The stereotypical vice you would attribute to a scientist would actually be Pride since with great power you have the ability to do Great Good or Great Evil. However, in the game her most biggest desire is a bag of money indicating it is indeed Greed.

I also loved playing The Twins' Quest, but both their mission and their endings also weren't all that clear (why didn't they just not drink the soup?). And what's wrong with eating Rat Poison cereal?

Sign in to follow this