Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
pole

Skipping the parts I've already played?

My one and only grief about this game. because i think it is a great game.

-Is it possible to skip the non character specific levels? Like the mining level.

I completed the game yesterday and today i want to try with some new characters. I don't think there is enough difference in the puzzle solving/gameplay to justify going through the same level i went through yesterday.

So how do i get to the character specific levels without sitting through the parts I've already played?

Spoilers: You can skip the Zoo by bringing an extra hot dog or using the Monks telekinesis on the hot dog machine. I've been trying not to cause the cave-in but nothing so far.

In terms of the way the game is designed...

The railroad that would continue the Cave Tour wouldn't have a way to break and crack without the Cave Miner adventure.

Sometimes one must just accept a game the way it exists. Bug or graphical issue complaints I understand... the game not allowing you something that would construe them actually rebuilding the game from scratch though?

It would be a nice option to be able to just play the sections we wanted to play, but I just don't think it was something they considered.

You can't usually do so in an adventure game unless you created a save game at just that point. Even then though, it can be a headache.

I understand that they were under time constraints, but a I'd say another 4-5 puzzle areas like the Prospector, Hermit and Hunter all randomised so you don't know which three you'll get on a playthrough would've been a good way to go. People would've been playing it through many, many times trying to see them all, and it means it wouldn't just be a case of sleepwalking through those areas once you've done them once.

I'd also like to have seen non-obvious ways to finish the character areas in a 'good' way, ie. In the Knight's area, using the Monk or Time Traveller to get the dragon treasure without unlocking the gate, but I appreciate that's more a character arc choice than a game design one.

I'm hoping for a sequel or 'expanded' version at any rate.

Personally I'd prefer if it took 10 times longer to beat The Cave, I'm just trying to find different ways of solving it.

Sign in to follow this