Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel

Cave Paintings Look Ugly... Why?

Its really hard to find all the bugs in games they are big and allot is going on. Allot of the bugs where also machine specific. On my play through I had almost 0 problems except the cave painting look maybe. Unlimited testing time still doesn't mean no bugs think overall this game compared to allot of other games doesn't have that many bugs.

The Cave is not a big game to test. It can be completed in a very short amount of time. If you've looked through the credits you'll see that the QA teams were actually quite large (there was one from Double Fine and one from Sega). I find it very difficult to believe that most, if not all, of these bugs were not already known when the game was released.

I used to work as a professional QA technician at Sony, and, unless there's been a serious drop in QA team quality in the past 10 years, there's no way these bugs would have gone unnoticed. (On the PC version you can't get certain achievements if you have a controller plugged in -- that's a pretty horrendously obvious bug to miss.)

It's more likely that time and money was short and Sega had a hard deadline... and patches can be released.

Edited by ThunderPeel

Will this actually get fixed? Considering the quality of the artwork was used as a selling point before the game was released, I feel it really should be fixed. (Plus the artwork is so beautiful, it's a sin that it's destroyed like that!)

I just finished the game today, I liked it alot. I didn't realize the paintings I saw were distorted until I was browsing the forums here. I played the game on a Mac, and I just sort of assumed that was a artstyle choice they were going for. Interesting. It didn't really affect my enjoyment of anything, and I have to say I love seeing art used in games like this. I think Psychonauts was the first game I recall seeing something like this with artwork being used in the memory vaults. Not many other developers beside Doublefine seem to do this, but I'm a big fan of it.

Please fix this in the PC version. Scaling is distorted in 1024x768 as well. So much for "low resolutions". Happens with different drivers on different cards. PC and Linux.

The scaling looks broken on Linux (and on PC/Windows) like in old Firefox versions on Linux, where they used the wrong scaling method.

(About scaling methods in general: I also noticed, when I play Valve's Half-Life 1 there is a setting for low graphics mode, the background image when starting the game looks exactly the same way distorted. However this is *only* when played in low graphics mode. Otherwise the scaling is fine.)

This implies that there are different scaling methods/libraries (whatever, idk) out there and for the PC version for 'The Cave' the wrong method had been selected for displaying the artwork. (The game itself looks great.)

The cursor in the PC looks really nice now, it had been too big and ugly also.

Please fix the lovely artwork as well! It can't be that much of a mega task to do.

PS: Also the game got very slow for me, since an update around May/June 2013 maybe. I can't really enjoy it anymore with the propietary nvidia drivers. Before the update it worked fine. Please support released titles on bug fixing and also regressions. Thanks!

This is something that's on the list to fix, we just want to focus more on the gameplay bugs for the next patch.

Did this ever get fixed? Does anyone know?

This is something that's on the list to fix, we just want to focus more on the gameplay bugs for the next patch.

Did this ever get fixed? Does anyone know?

Nope, still not fixed :(

At least not on the Steam version, which I just played yesterday.

Sign in to follow this