Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
RazTehWaz

Where is the save file?

I have the steam PC version of the game, and I'm working on a video series about the game. As part of it I need to be able to replay some levels, but I can't find where my save is to make a copy of it so I can reset progress for myself, can anyone help me?

There might actually not be one.

Since even when you make a save game it doesn't necesarrily save your game at where you left off but returns you the last checkpoint you were at.

It seems like maybe less then a save system (it's not like you can have multiple setups and save slots) and more like a holding pattern script that somehow tells the game "when last playing, the player was near this checkpoint and had done the following"....

It is a shame that one can't actually do multiple save spots at locations and choose party members at each opening of a level, but the factor of the three character choice might be exactly why.

If I'm wrong and someone finds the save file, great, but I hunted for it.

Looks like I'll just have to carry on doing what I've been up to so far - playing a level, then hitting alt+4 then restarting and hoping I end up roughly near the start of the level, then replaying it while recording.

I guess I should work out the shortest route to each level just in case that method screws me over.

c:/Users/yourname/AppData/Roaming/Doublefine/TheCave/folder with bunch of numbers

3 files in there.---auto.sav,prefs.sav,and unlocks.sav

I believe I've found the location of the save game, at least if you're on Windows.

C:/users/*username*/AppData/Roaming/Doubefine/TheCave/*a bunch of numbers*

Also, the location of the cloud save stuff is in C:/Program Files (x86)/Steam/userdata/*a bunch of numbers*/221810, but looking at the file, it looks like it points to the one in AppData I listed above.

I haven't tried messing with the saves, so I don't know if you can successfully restore backup saves (I know you'd at least probably have to disable Steam Cloud for The Cave to do something like that, though), but I am pretty certain that's the location of the save data.

Edit: Bah, I was beaten! I took too long to write my post!

BTW, I just reloaded my save and all the characters were at the exact spot that I left them. The knight by the lift, the advent by the lever and the Scientist by the door to the dragon key.

I was digging around and found it for Mac as well. Be warned that if you disable cloud saves you will lose save data created when cloud saves were enabled. You have to re-enable cloud saves to use that save data again.

I guess this is one way to have more than one save going.

HD > Users > > Library > Application Support > Doublefine > TheCave

Sign in to follow this