Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
VaultBoy0758

This Game Is Fantastic

I just finished my first play-through of the Cave. I had relatively high expectations for the game and it exceeded them. Audio wise, the sound, music, and voice acting were phenomenal. I really enjoyed the allegorical aspect of the story to human consciousness. The game-play was fun and extremely rewarding. For me personally, I was sitting at my desk grinning the entire time I played.

What are everyone's thoughts after we have had a few days to let it all sink in?

I've finished two play-throughs. Now I'm going to start the last one with the Time Traveller.

At first I was alarmed by some rather bad reviews, but I don't agree with those reviews at all.

I think it's a great game and it's a lot of fun. I also love the look. And while the audio is also great I still miss

the music by Peter McConnell :(

Strange to have a Double Fine game without his music.

Once I finish all characters, I'll dive into the game again for the missing achievements - hopefully without having to look into a game guide.

So far I didn't need any help and I have to say that I find the difficulty balancing of the puzzles really, really good!!

I love the game! I just finished my second play-through, and will be playing it through several more times in the near future I'm sure.

The puzzles seemed to be just the right difficulty, I never once felt stuck.

The game's presentation is superb - the art/style of the game (gorgeous), animation, sound, and the cave's narration - I dig it all.

The writing and humor is, as was to be expected, excellent as well.

Playing on PC, in my two play-throughs I encountered only one glitch - I couldn't jump off a certain ladder with any character. A simple game reload fixed it.

My first play-through was with the Knight, Time Traveler, and Twins.

I have to agree. Although I can understand the criticism regarding some technicalities and the "not always too smooth"-platforming, I really enjoy playing The Cave. Just finished my first playthrough (Knight, Adventurer, Hillbilly) and I am quiet impressed by the puzzle design. Particularly because it is designed around three characters. The puzzles always felt logical to me: not too easy, but also not so difficult that it became frustrating. Only downside is that it is a fairly short game (5 hours), but then I have still 2 more playthroughs to go.

Very much looking forward to go in again with the other characters. The environments and animations are really amazing! Also loved the dark humour. Particularly the Knights level was pretty funny. Everyone should find out where the king went. :-)Although I agree with Ron that in general games do not need DLC, I do hope Double Fine will consider creating some more characters in the future.

I've just started my 2nd play-through and I'm really enjoying it.

I love the art style, dialogue and music. The movement can be a bit dodgy and it does feel a little unpolished but considering it only cost me £10 I can definitely forgive that.

I've tried playing it with an xbox controller, keyboard and mouse and found all equally sufficient. I like the way the game can be played with just the mouse, it's good for the laying on the sofa play-style.

My first play-through I used the Knight, Adventurer and Monk

2nd play-through I'm using Twins, Time traveller and Hillbilly.

Really enjoying it though, good work Doublefine.

Also if there was DLC/sequel in the future I'm pretty sure I would be investing in such a thing.

x

To be honest, I only ran into one small minor bug. I can't wait to start a second play through. My next will be scientist, adventurer, and time traveler. Knight and twins were just awesome.

So, after the controls worked, i finally played through the game with all characters (time traveller, scientist, the twins | hillbilly, adventurer, knight | scientist, hillbilly, monk). I would have loved playing the robot as well and ...

I really enjoyed the game. I give it a 9/10.

Too much? Maybe, but there aren't many games i really like these days and certainly if you analyse the game more objective there would be a lot of smaller things you could moan about (replaying the same caves over and over again, too easy riddles, technical stuff, blabla) but i just love the atmosphere, the style, the water and the stones, the convincing moments are just very convincing. Did i mention that i love those stones? Best stones since Dan Malone did stones for the Bitmap Brothers. Sometimes the sound design was great, sometimes i was missing a little bit more, overall the humour was nice but also not this funny, ...

I liked a lot the scientist, the hillbilly and the time traveller, wasn't this fond of the knight and the monk didn't use his full potential.

Best three moments?

Launchning this great big rocket, yay!

Solving riddles through time.

Jumping on the big wheel, asking the dude about the future oh and swimming around with the bubble over your head.

Worst three moments?

The goldmine, i didn't like it, slooow rope climbing, too much running around, no riddles.

The need to bring new souveniers at the end, felt superfluous and like time enlargement to me.

The end is generally weird somehow, like time ran out, i mostly prefered playing as a bad person.

So, finally, a happy taumel. I would love to play some further characters as well but i would strongly suggest that you can skip cave parts you already did. Some more complex puzzles wouldn't hurt. Of course some bugfixing as well so that the game also works via Steam directly and a DRM free option. Btw. i also could swim into the solid gfx on the island on the top.

Cheers,

taumel :o)

Yes this is undoubtly a wonderful game.

I am at my second playthrough right now.

I too don't understand the complaining in some reviews (german media is giving better marks than others, as always with adventure games)

Mostly they complain about that you have too run around too much. I don't agree, the world is so well done and beautiful that I enjoy running around a lot. Breathing in the atmosphere and the art! Great.

It was meant as a "tiny", funny adventure game and it sure as hell is one.

Thank you and Good Job.

I wonder why well known adventure gaming sites offer no reviews. You can read about the game in their forums but somehow there are no reviews. Considering some rather loco entries f.e. adventuregamers once came up with in their top 100 list, this for sure is an adventure game or a game with strong adventure elements.

Sign in to follow this