Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ola small dickie

Is this an adventure game?

I have been playing this game fora few days and i still ask myself. Is this an adventure game? I still havent finisdhed it yet. I finished the hibiliy zone and im about to finish the twins zone. But it doesnt feel like an adventure game. Sure there are puzzles. You dont have an inventory but you can use objects in order to advance. But it feels more like a platformer with puzzles, not an adventure. I wonder how, by what logic and arugments i can call this an adventure game? I hope that by the time i finish the game i can call it an adventure game. Until then...besides the puzzle, there is no real, touchable, sustainable story. The hilbiliy zone is not a story. The twins zone is not a story. The characters are not well defined, are not really adventure games characters. Also there are no dialogues.... I hope i will change my opinion shorty but right now it just feels like a platformer with puzzles.

By what standards i can say that The Cave is an adventure game?

I have been playing this game fora few days and i still ask myself. Is this an adventure game? I still havent finisdhed it yet. I finished the hibiliy zone and im about to finish the twins zone. But it doesnt feel like an adventure game. Sure there are puzzles. You dont have an inventory but you can use objects in order to advance. But it feels more like a platformer with puzzles, not an adventure. I wonder how, by what logic and arugments i can call this an adventure game? I hope that by the time i finish the game i can call it an adventure game. Until then...besides the puzzle, there is no real, touchable, sustainable story. The hilbiliy zone is not a story. The twins zone is not a story. The characters are not well defined, are not really adventure games characters. Also there are no dialogues.... I hope i will change my opinion shorty but right now it just feels like a platformer with puzzles.

Dunno but I got a real maniac mansion feeling with the twins zone and loved that story but ah well some people don't see stories in it.

Maniac Mansion is exactly what i was thinking. Not much dialogue, not much characters...Maniac Mansion is regarded as an adventure game. But that game was released in 1987...

Maniac Mansion is exactly what i was thinking. Not much dialogue, not much characters...Maniac Mansion is regarded as an adventure game. But that game was released in 1987...

Yeah that was a good game and called an adventure game, this one also nice story interesting puzzles but you have to imagine allot yourself at it.

Nope. It's a platformer/puzzle game. The lion's share of what makes an adventure game from conversation trees to non-linear exploration aren't present. Is it a little bit reminiscent? Yes, but it's definitely not a classic adventure game.

It's not a classic adventure game, but the puzzles are very similar to what you'd fine in an adventure game, just without an inventory to store the items in. The vast majority of the puzzles in The Cave are item-based, while most puzzle/platformers tend to focus on physics-based puzzles.

It's a difficult game to peg into one genre, since it takes elements from both adventure games and puzzle/platformers.

Nope. It's a platformer/puzzle game. The lion's share of what makes an adventure game from conversation trees to non-linear exploration aren't present. Is it a little bit reminiscent? Yes, but it's definitely not a classic adventure game.

Uh oh, better not let Ron hear you say that!

This game is not a platformer in any way.

I'm thinking back to the dreadful games of the 80's and 90's where the only gameplay was to run, jump over monsters, collect coins, race against time for points, miss a jump and die, and repeat for dozens of nearly identical screens. I can't find anything about The Cave that reminds me of that - thankfully.

The Cave is simply an adventure game that takes place in a location with levels and ladders. And it's awesome :-)

First I want to say that I really enjoy playing the cave. But as I was playing I was asking mysf if this is an adventure game and then I realized why I was having doubts.

Mainly because of two points:

1) It doesn't feel like I'm solving the puzzles to progress the story. Actually the story of the characters is only hinted at through pictures most of the time.

2) There is not enough conversational interaction which makes it difficult to identify with the characters. They remain somehow mysterious and distant to the player.

Don't get me wrong, the cave is a great game but it didn't feel 100% adventure gamish.

ps i haven't played maniac mansion but all the other lucasarts adventures and a lot of others.

I don't know if you're old enough to remember that, but the first Dizzy game (released just like Maniac Mansion in 1987) called itself "the ultimate cartoon adventure" and is in retrospect usually tagged as "action-adventure" or "platformer-adventure". And The Cave very much is a Dizzy game with a dash of Maniac Mansion (mostly for flavour).

Using the word "adventure" as a descriptor of a genre was a pretty poor choice, but now that we're stuck with it, I wouldn't object to calling The Cave an adventure game. It's just not a point-and-clicker.

I think it's more an adventure game than it is other things. I'd hesitate to call it a platform puzzler as that implies platforming puzzles, when most of the puzzles are actually about using items with other things in order to progress.

It's more like an adventure game with a platforming aesthetic. It's not story-heavy like most adventure games, but the process of solving the puzzles was definitely something I recognised from adventure games, in some areas more than others. So I'll happily call it one.

Like the above person mentioned, it's a bit like Dizzy (except without the frustrating jump that egg had which perhaps made that game a bit more 'platformy'. I don't think we need to worry about calling it an adventure game, at least - it's not as if the more traditional style adventure games are going to go away if we do :)

This game is not a platformer in any way.

I'm thinking back to the dreadful games of the 80's and 90's where the only gameplay was to run, jump over monsters, collect coins, race against time for points, miss a jump and die, and repeat for dozens of nearly identical screens. I can't find anything about The Cave that reminds me of that - thankfully.

The Cave is simply an adventure game that takes place in a location with levels and ladders. And it's awesome :-)

Can I glare at you for calling platformers dreadful? Oh too late. I'm already doing it and I can't stop. :P

...The Cave seems like a cross between an adventure game and a puzzle platformer, where unfortunately to my mind it doesn't fit either genre very comfortably. As an adventure game I think there are two respects in which it misses the mark a little; the non-inventory system, while not bad, doesn't work out as being that good - it adds to the concern and tedium of trying to keep track of and re-find useful objects, particularly in the absence of a map or something to tell you where things are (where I imagine the response might be that making things too easy to find turns the floor into another inventory - but in fact it is anyway, just a frustrating one).

The other thing, which I think is more significant, is that there isn't enough dialogue - the ability to look at items might have been useful here, because with so little dialogue it does at times feel more like a clunky and unnatural puzzle platformer...

Insofar as The Cave is an adventure game it feels [to me] more at the Gobliiins end of the spectrum

I'd add to this that, contra what SG says, a lot of the (minor) puzzles involve pushing or pulling large objects, which feels like quite a platform-y thing to do.

See also http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/5875/

Can I glare at you for calling platformers dreadful? Oh too late. I'm already doing it and I can't stop. :P
I will allow it ;-)

But I can't help but think back to the day when The Secret of Monkey Island came and restored my faith in computer games as a source of entertainment after years of being bored by platformers. I haven't looked back since.

This whole "is it an adventure game" debate has been an interesting marketing tactic.

Between that, the buggy release, the shallow gameplay and constantly promoting merch I'm pretty disappointed by the whole affair tbh.

This whole "is it an adventure game" debate has been an interesting marketing tactic.

Between that, the buggy release, the shallow gameplay and constantly promoting merch I'm pretty disappointed by the whole affair tbh.

Your opinion have had almost no bugs while playing. Found the game really fun much better then allot of the lately released adventure games.

And yes I find this an adventure game yes you need to imagine the story but the entire cave plus areas what you play tell a really nice story sorry that you need 100% narration to make up the story.

Your opinion have had almost no bugs while playing.

Apart from the fact that, as I've said before, relativism is the refuge of intellectual cowardice, in this instance in particular you can't possibly suggest that saying the release was buggy is a matter of opinion. That's utterly, utterly ridiculous. I'm at a total loss, here. I don't think I should bother saying anything more.

Your opinion have had almost no bugs while playing.

Apart from the fact that, as I've said before, relativism is the refuge of intellectual cowardice, in this instance in particular you can't possibly suggest that saying the release was buggy is a matter of opinion. That's utterly, utterly ridiculous. I'm at a total loss, here. I don't think I should bother saying anything more.

um i think all he was suggesting was that it was buggy in your experience but not in most people's. i don't think you can really call it a "buggy release" unless you have actual data on how many people experienced bugs and how many didn't. a headcount in the game's tech support forum doesn't cut it.

Well I shouldn't derail this thread any further, but apart from the fact that all the reviews have mentioned the game running poorly, that the board is getting a lot of bug reports, and that my PS3 version breaks at least once every time I play it, I was rather under the impression that the nature of consoles means that a bug on one makes for much higher chances of that bug appearing on other machines - since there isn't variation in hardware to the same extent as with PCs.

Anyway, that's a relatively trivial problem, since a lot of the bugs only require restarting the game. I'm much more distressed by Hotline Miami, for instance, not working properly on any of my three PCs. It's just how everything here adds together into a slightly lazy, milking picture. Although in reality it's anything but lazy, I'm sure, but nonetheless I'm starting to wonder if the evidently amicable atmosphere at the DF offices makes for an environment where people aren't afraid to not do their very best (where personally I myself would rather work in a nice place than 'be all I can be', but whatever).

I'm confused what you're complaining about (besides the bugs). Are you saying they're working too hard or not hard enough? Are you saying they have bad working conditions? Honestly, every time I've seen one of DF's employees talk about their job, they don't seem to have a lot to complain about. No workplace is perfect, but Double Fine seems like one of the better ones.

ah, well, i have the pc version and i only encountered 1 or 2 minor bugs. yay pc version.

@leroy, he's suggesting that they might not be working hard enough. a nasty, hard-ass boss can sometimes make things come out better. think steve jobs and apple.

Well, above I'm just speculating as to whether their working conditions are too friendly, the idea being that perhaps they aren't sufficiently driven or critical of each other's work, since the DF effect seems to be having a great idea but then being just slightly underwhelming in their application. But really that's just a pointless side note, I don't think it really warrants scrutiny since we aren't in a position to know and were I they I certainly wouldn't comment here, or at least not openly.

I don't know if their working conditions are too friendly or not, but I know I personally would be very intimidated to criticize Ron Gilbert. I don't think that would account for the bugs though. Might explain some other gameplay problems. The bugs might be more a result of them releasing the game on so many platforms at once. There are huge differences between the platforms and they may have underestimated how much time they needed for bug testing on all of them. Might have been some pressure from Sega to get it released as well.

Sign in to follow this