Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ashhh

Attempting to accending from the Cave showing a little more remorse

After discovered that the difference between the "good" and "bad" endings is based solely on a choice you make at the very end, I was a little disappointed. I really like the idea of my characters emerging from the cave having learned a lesson, but I thought it should take more than just rejecting their object of desire, I want my characters to show me that their experience in the cave left a mark on them that they will carry with them going forward.

You can also attribute each of the adventures to one of the seven deadly sins.

Hillbilly - Lust

Adventurer - Pride

Time Traveler - Envy

Scientist - Greed

Monk - Wrath

Knight - Sloth

Twins - Gluttony

That got me thinking... What should each character carry with them after their transgressions in the cave to prove that they realized they made a mistake and have learned a lesson? Think along the lines of Jean VelJean and the silver candlesticks in Les Mis.

I want to see if I could bring each character through lugging around a different object from their section. Some items disappear between levels, so I need to find an item from each zone that will stay with the character and help remind them of their ordeal. It also makes it a little tougher running through the levels when you have 2 or 3 items you need to keep with you.

My list so far:

Knight : Bloody Amulet - To remind him of the lives and love that were the price of his lies.

Hillbilly : Barbell - Carrying the weight of his jealousy. (The lighter disappears, so you can't use that)

Twins : Chamber pot - They had everything yet were treating their parents like crap.

Help me out with the rest of them...

Time Traveler : Maybe the Bucket of Oil - A reminder that death is the great equalizer.

Scientist : slippery when wet sign - The affects on humanity from advancements in Science can be a slippery slope.

The Monk : Maybe the Feather, not sure if you can keep it.

Adventurer : I don't remember any items in her section of the cave. Maybe the femur from the island if there is nothing directly from her section that she can take...

What are your thoughts?

After discovered that the difference between the "good" and "bad" endings is based solely on a choice you make at the very end, I was a little disappointed. I really like the idea of my characters emerging from the cave having learned a lesson, but I thought it should take more than just rejecting their object of desire, I want my characters to show me that their experience in the cave left a mark on them that they will carry with them going forward.

You can also attribute each of the adventures to one of the seven deadly sins.

Hillbilly - Lust

Adventurer - Pride

Time Traveler - Envy

Scientist - Greed

Monk - Wrath

Knight - Sloth

Twins - Gluttony

That got me thinking... What should each character carry with them after their transgressions in the cave to prove that they realized they made a mistake and have learned a lesson?

Wow - never thought about the seven deadly sins. Nice work picking that up.

I agree - the "just choose your ending by making one final decision at the end" always bugs me in games. It would be better if you could solve the puzzles in The Cave in a redeeming way that doesn't involve killing people or taking their stuff.

I like the idea of dragging your penance object through the world - much like Robert DeNiro's character in The Mission.

Such a great game. I'm only halfway through all of the characters, so no spoilers.

It's a nice thought, but I'm not sure how the Monk's story involves wrath or how the Twins' story involves gluttony.

It's a nice thought, but I'm not sure how the Monk's story involves wrath or how the Twins' story involves gluttony.

It's a bit of a stretch, but Gluttony can be over-indulgence in anything, not just food, at the expense of others. One could argue that the twins' selfishness could be considered gluttony.

As far as wrath, anger bubbles up in many forms. The monk had plenty of it. Resentment and Impatience are both forms of Anger.

I'm not saying that there is a clear connection between the seven deadly sins and each character, but if you look to put each character's story in a box, you can fit them in there pretty closely.

I believe you are right on the money that it is the Seven Deadly sins, but I'm almost certain you've aligned them wrong.

Knight = sloth

his inaction destroyed an entire nation

Adventurer = greed

she cannot share her glory

Time Traveler = envy

She cannot stand someone else's achievement

Scientist = gluttony

She will gladly indulge while the rest of the world suffers

hillbilly = lust

Pretty obvious, but his lusts drove him to insane jealousy for a woman who didn't even know him.

Twins = wrath

They kill with no remorse, or reason, simply because they found something frustrating

Monk = pride

Cannot stand to not be recognized as the greatest, even when he hasn't even begun to earn that mantle"

All of these are quite interesting ideas no matter how you attribute them. I loved the game, though I do feel some of their stories as well as the events in the game could have been improved a bit to give the characters some more depth. I think it would have been really neat if after you complete each character's quest, you would get the option to "do the right thing" on a second playthrough with their character besides just returning the souvenir at the end.

Here's a minor one. You can show a little more compassion for your companions when playing as the adventurer in her section by avoiding the plates that bring the spikes ever closer to their heads. That reminds me of my favorite line in the game: "an Englishman would never have this many spikes. It's...unseemly."

You mean you don't have to avoid the pressure plates that trigger the spikes? Wow. I did that every time because I though it would kill my comrades.

I thoroughly enjoyed the game (3 times, so far), but I agree with Ashhh that the method of obtaining the other endings could have been different. Its a bit too repetitive for the player just for two new pictures and maybe an achievement/trophy/digital pat on the back. ...I'll probably do it anyway.

Sign in to follow this