Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
LastWindow

Easter eggs

So there's Chuck the Plant and New Grog, but has anyone see any others? On Ron's Twitter somebody mentioned they found the swimming pool from Maniac Mansion. Has anyone seen this, and if so, where is it?

From what I've been able to tell, each character has one chance to discover a secret area (or easter egg essentially). So with each play through you have the opportunity to find 3 (three) "secret areas/easter eggs", and no I'm not talking about their distinct levels. I am only on my second play through, so I don't know this for sure. However, If you want spoilers check out my LP of my first playthrough www.youtube.com/calistoiredux ... (I haven't released any of the secret area videos yet but I have found them for the knight, the twins, and the monk). If you don't want to see them all before finding them all yourself... wellllllllll..... don't click that link.

So there's Chuck the Plant and New Grog, but has anyone see any others?

There's also a Chuck the Flame or something in the crypt under the throne room (unless they're randomly generated). And not sure if you'd count this, but in the scientist cave paintings there are references to the movie Dr. Strangelove in the form of a clear likeness to Peter Sellers' character in that movie.

I see! You are talking about rrrreferences! I was so incased in the Cave as it's own story that I never thought about outside references, I love doctor strange love (but I have yet to play with the scientist). I would love to get some references to Monkey Island or Maniac Mansion as some others have suggested, but I haven't noticed any personally. I will post short videos showing any I find. Or if anyone knows one specifically, let me know and I would love to hunt it down, find it, and post it as a video in this thread!

So there's Chuck the Plant and New Grog, but has anyone see any others? On Ron's Twitter somebody mentioned they found the swimming pool from Maniac Mansion. Has anyone seen this, and if so, where is it?

It's at the start of the scientist's area. It was a very nice surprise!

And I don't know if it can be considered an easter egg, but you can make certain dead clown overly..."happy"

@Aristotlol: Oh, definitely. My favorite character in the game, actually.

@Calisto_iRedux: Yeah, I was thinking more along the lines of references from past games but I'm curious about anything.

@flesk: I'm not sure if Chuck the Flame is from anything or if it's poking fun at Chuck the Plant. If it has been from a past game or elsewhere then I don't remember it.

@LordWeh: Is that him? That's the first thing I thought but as I stared at it I wasn't seeing much resemblance.

@tripuz: Cool, I guess I'll have to pay better attention and maybe compare it with a screen shot of the pool from MM.

Edit: tripuz, you're right! I was checking out this image:

lucasstyle.com/maniaczombies/images/mm/maniacmansion_full_map.png

And saw it. I guess I forgot what the bottom looked like!

I thought Chuck the Flame was a reference to the Demon form of LeChuck, but that's probably a stretch.

I was so incased in the Cave as it's own story that I never thought about outside references, I love doctor strange love (but I have yet to play with the scientist).

I didn't take notice of the name of the achievement before, but the scientist level completion achievement "Learn to Stop Worrying" is a reference to the full title of Dr. Strangelove: "Dr. Strangelove or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb".

@flesk: I'm not sure if Chuck the Flame is from anything or if it's poking fun at Chuck the Plant. If it has been from a past game or elsewhere then I don't remember it.

I didn't mean that Chuck the Flame has appeared in anything before, but the name is still an obvious reference to Chuck the Plant.

@LordWeh: Is that him? That's the first thing I thought but as I stared at it I wasn't seeing much resemblance.

Yeah, I also think this one is dubious. The skeleton is wearing a hat. Eddie Riggs does not wear hats.

I thought the Robot you get the battery from in The Zoo was intended to be Josef from Machinarium, but he's just different enough that I'm not completely sure.

Yeah, I also think this one is dubious. The skeleton is wearing a hat. Eddie Riggs does not wear hats.

I couldn't tell if it was a hat or he had a fro, haha.

I think I came across a Maniac Mansion reference that hasn't been noticed yet. In the lounge in the Scientist's silo/lab, take a look at the lower-left corner of the notice board, and you'll notice there's a flyer posted. It's partially covered up, but you can make out:

Da----

Mi-----

for

class

president

...with president crossed out and "tunahead"written in. This is almost definitely a reference to Dave Miller, the main character in Maniac Mansion. "Tunahead" was a common insult in the game.

-Paul

Nice find. I'll take a look at that on my next playthrough.

I wonder if there are any Deathspank references in the game.

Sign in to follow this