Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jamiewest9190

Backtracking.....

I've read quite a few reviewers criticising 'backtracking' in The Cave - but after having played it with most of the characters I'm struggling to see what their problem is. This is an adventure game, backtracking is part of what gives the game its mood and pace. Moving between places allows you to inhabit the world more fully. I remember playing Grim when it came out and loving Rubacava *because* there was lots of backtracking: walking back and forth between wonderful locations, enjoying the music, trying to catch a glimpse of the big cats. I think there's a tendency these days, in many different areas (not just games), for everything to be super-fast and I really relished slowing down to play a new Ron Gilbert adventure. Having said that, I still think it moves at a fairly brisk pace by most adventure game standards.

How do folks think The Cave compares, in terms of backtracking, to other adventure games?

Backtracking retards the sensation of progress. Its quite possible, to have a good slow pacing without back tracking. The backtracking that the cave does, is not game related or pacing related, its paperwork. You gotta get all 3 of your guys traversing into the next puzzle area, and while the The Cave does some of it, it doesnt seem to do it enough. You have to micromange your guys to get them in place to start doing actual gamey things.

While the other form of back tracking, walking back forth through a puzzle area while trying to solve the puzzle, to my knowledge that hasnt gotten any complaints from reviewers.

And the Maker of the Cave are aware of bad back tracking, as you can see several examples where they eliminate it for you. The best example, is at the very first puzzle with the fuse box. The elevator that takes you back to the basement with the vending machines. That skips a lot of bad backtracking.

That's interesting, I think there is a case for having a 'call everyone' button in locations which don't need special skills/keys to access. I was mainly thinking of reviewers talking about backtracking in relation to solving puzzles. I read one that said that once you had figured out the puzzle, actually putting it into practice was tiresome. Whereas I love acting out the solution. I suppose it's all subjective, but to me walking around in interesting and unusual places is a big part of what adventure games are about.

Sign in to follow this