Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JediJedah

Anyone tried playing MMOJ in the IOS simulator?

I opened up the ipa and took the app out of the payload folder and put it directly into the iphone simulator. It crashes after title screen. I tried dragging the app into xcode on a clean project and I haven't figured out how to get it to input the file, build, and run it yet. I was half tempted to gut it and try rebuilding it in xcode to see if I could put all the pieces together that way. If me doing this annoys anyone at DF, feel free to tell me to knock it off. I got the mrs. to get MMOJ on her iphone today and I thought it'd be convenient to be able to play it on a bigger screen (my laptop). I've read that some apps can be run in the iphone simulator and some just crash. I wonder if doing all this is plausible or am I just driving myself batty.....like when I play 'swamp without snipers'....

iOS apps are so-called fat binaries combining the exact same code for multiple CPUs. For an iOS app that would be armv6 and armv7, or more recently armv7 and armv7s. Apps running on simulator are build for i386 architecture.

I have - in all the three years that I am making iOS apps professionally - never seen an app that combines i386 and arm code. You can do that with static libraries, but I don't think Xcode supports doing that for app bundles.

Long story short: trying to run an arm binary can never work on Simulator.

Thanks for the input/info. I wasn't sure how much of a difference the arm code was...I just read about sticking apps in the simulator and thought i'd give it a shot. I got the corona sdk along with xcode to tinker with a while back. You might be interest in the corona sdk, drops. Its a nifty sdk thats multiplatform/medium. I don't know a thing about code, though, to be honest...just been gathering sdk's and dev tools for when I want to work on a project in the near future after the OUYA comes out. I did borrow my fiance's phone today and played MMOJ for a while. I'm borrowing her ipod so I can play it at my leisure. I gotta say....MMOJ is pretty dang amusing. Not like I shoulda been surprised since its DF!

Sign in to follow this