Double Fine Action Forums
Justin Honegger

Psychonauts Patch - Linux and Mac Update

Hi folks!

So bummer news on this front. We've investigated the issue with missing graphics updates on DRM-free Mac and Linux builds, and unfortunately we can't address this any time soon. I know it's a long wait to hear we can't fix it, so please email us at support@doublefine.com so we can help you out. We check regularly and will be on the lookout for anyone mentioning Psychonauts.

Is there a particular part of the music or world that this occurs? We're planning on having the same level of integration as with Windows/Mac.

mm, so I played again for 12 mins and noticed I indeed don't have the problem at all at whispery rocks (or something, the place where you start the game). But I am sure it occured on Basic Braining (still makes me giggle)

Thanks for the heads up on the steam integration!

I just repeated some basic braining and indeed, i still have one hickup, usually when the trumpets do their bursts or how do you say that :) i attached a screenshot where I experienced the hickup, just so you know which music part I am referencing. I guess it's at the end of the loop.. I actually never played the game on windows, maybe the hickup is there too..? :)

2013-02-11_00003.jpg

2013-02-11_00003.jpg.35d7866731e90ca7a7a

I don't see the projected image of Coach Oleander at the beginning of Basic Braining (I have a blank wall telling me to punch it ^_^ ).

Same here. Any instance where Oleander is projected is not appearing. Pictures included in attachments.

-Also having the audio hiccups. I can't tell if its at the end of the music loop, but it happens pretty frequently.

-I cannot alt-tab out of the game or change workspaces. That would be a really nice feature.

-As for gameplay, I'm experiencing some slowdown (where there was none in the Windows build) and have noticed that some of the nice lighting/shadows/shaders are not quite to parity with the Windows version. However, its real cool seeing you guys working on the Linux platform. Keep up the good work!

-System information below:

Processor Information:

Vendor: GenuineIntel

Speed: 2400 Mhz

4 logical processors

4 physical processors

HyperThreading: Unsupported

FCMOV: Supported

SSE2: Supported

SSE3: Supported

SSSE3: Supported

SSE4a: Unsupported

SSE41: Unsupported

SSE42: Unsupported

Network Information:

Network Speed:

Operating System Version:

Ubuntu 12.04.2 LTS (64 bit)

Kernel Name: Linux

Kernel Version: 3.3.6-030306-generic

X Server vendor: The X.Org Foundation

X Server release: 11103000

Video Card:

Driver: NVIDIA Corporation GeForce 8800 Ultra/PCIe/SSE2

Driver Version: 3.3.0 NVIDIA 310.14

Desktop Color Depth: 24 bits per pixel

Monitor Refresh Rate: 59 Hz

VendorID: 0x10de

DeviceID: 0x194

Number of Monitors: 2

Number of Logical Video Cards: 1

Primary Display Resolution: 1920 x 1080

Desktop Resolution: 3360 x 1080

Primary Display Size: 20.51" x 11.54" (23.50" diag)

52.1cm x 29.3cm (59.7cm diag)

Primary Bus: PCI Express 16x

Primary VRAM: 768 MB

Supported MSAA Modes: 2x 4x 8x 16x

Sound card:

Audio device: Realtek ALC1200

Memory:

RAM: 7985 Mb

Miscellaneous:

UI Language: English

LANG: en_US.UTF-8

Microphone: Not set

Total Hard Disk Space Available: 233565 Mb

Largest Free Hard Disk Block: 102996 Mb

Psychonauts_Linux_2013-02-10_00003.jpg

Psychonauts_Linux_2013-02-10_00004.jpg

Psychonauts_Linux_2013-02-10_00009.jpg

Psychonauts_Linux_2013-02-10_00003.jpg.b

Psychonauts_Linux_2013-02-10_00004.jpg.6

Psychonauts_Linux_2013-02-10_00009.jpg.b

Just including a few more comparison pics.

Edit: Oh yeah, and the game doesn't detect the left and right triggers on my Xbox 360 controller (wired). At this point I'm probably not telling you things you don't already know, but hopefully some of this is a bit helpful.

Psychonauts_Linux_2013-02-12_00001.jpg

psychonauts_win2_3830_screenshots_2011-12-23_00019.jpg

psychonauts_win2_screenshots_2011-12-24_00002.jpg

Psychonauts_Linux_2013-02-12_00001.jpg.d

psychonauts_win2_3830_screenshots_2011-1

psychonauts_win2_screenshots_2011-12-24_

I get the eyes thing but it isn't permanent and it only happens at certain angles and not necessarily with both eyes at the same time.

The wired 360 pad triggers issue is a problem. Currently I can only use them if I use triggers as buttons in xboxdrv but that breaks other games.

I don't see the projected image of Coach Oleander at the beginning of Basic Braining (I have a blank wall telling me to punch it ^_^ ).

Same here. Any instance where Oleander is projected is not appearing. Pictures included in attachments.

There's no temperature gauge image above the active psychic powers when using pyrokinesis either. I thought it might be related, though I'm not sure. I get the "heat blur" effect I get under Windows though. I got a huge gauge filling the entire screen after cooking a bird that took flight and flew above my head but that's hard to replicate and capture an image of.

EDIT: It seems to be a resolution issue; not an OS issue. Everything seems fine with 800 x 600 pixels, but with 1366 x 768 I get the problems described on Ubuntu 12.04, 64 bit and on Windows 7, 64 bit the temperature gauge looks as usual but is outside of the picture when I start using it and floats in from the right just before ignition.

I have a problem with getting the 360 controller working. After reading a couple of forums for solutions, i found there are none... According to some posts, this has happened after the MAC patch. Are you aware of this, and plan to fix it in a upcoming patch? I have the PC version from Steam, and all the "obvious" methods have been tried to fix it (unplugging, reinstalling, rebooting etc.) The controller does not register with the game, but works fine with everything else...

Yes, I would very much like to hear something on the next update for Mac and Linux. It's been so long ! I can't believe this isn't fixed yet.

Same here. I'm especially interested in seeing the graphical bugs fixed and achievements and cloud integration added. Would be nice with another excuse to play some more Psychonauts as well.

Same here. I'm especially interested in seeing the graphical bugs fixed and achievements and cloud integration added. Would be nice with another excuse to play some more Psychonauts as well.

Cloud stuff seems broken for many games. It may be a Steam issue rather than a Pnauts issue.

Hi, are those patches Steam-only or are they going going to show up on the Mac App Store also? (nothing yet)

Cloud stuff seems broken for many games. It may be a Steam issue rather than a Pnauts issue.

It seems to work fine on my other Steam games with cloud synch. I seem to remember reading that it's just not implemented in the Linux version yet. Maybe on the Steam forums but I can't seem to find a source now.

EDIT: I might have been thinking of this post by DF Nathan. It seems to imply that cloud saves weren't working before, but might have been fixed since I last played Psychonauts.

The game works! Yaaay!

It's isn't perfect, but at least I could finish it. I was waiting to buy the new bundle/back Broken Age until the game was playable. Thanks DF!

i just tested an achievement and it works indeed! now I can finally begin my playthrough :)

it's a pity I don't realize when a graphics bug occurs since I never played the game on windows :) looking forward to the oleander projection bugfix though (which i guess fixes similar situations as well)

I got Psychonauts from a previous bundle (HB4 I think?) but I resorted to playing it through wine because the Linux version had serious issues. Hopefully this time around it will be better.

I tried playing psychonauts on linux however raz just runs and runs continuously without user input and makes him impossible to control.

Going to try an uninstall/re-install. If not I'll play on windows.

I tried playing psychonauts on linux however raz just runs and runs continuously without user input and makes him impossible to control.

Going to try an uninstall/re-install. If not I'll play on windows.

That's usually caused by a misconfigured gamepad, or by an input that's sending gamepad (or possibly keyboard/mouse)-like input. If you got it from Steam, you should also verify the game cache as very rarely this can be caused by corrupted data.

The graphic glitches that MrPokeylopeLovesLinux have pointed out are the same for me.

I first saw it was just a bug in the game for everyone, but now that I saw the Windows screenshot comparaison in can tell it's GNU/Linux only.

Finished a fresh runthrough a few days ago and I noticed two bugs remaining:

- The Oleander projection bug

- The splash screen when changing areas is black (its not in the windows versions). There is some garbage pixels at the bottom though, which makes me think that the game is trying to load the splash screen but fails.

Other than that, I had a crash-free experience from start to finish and no other annoyances. Fully playable under linux now.

I am having a controller issue with the Steam version on Ubuntu, all the buttons work except by the analog that controls the camera, moving it does nothing (if I start a new game), loading a game makes the camera spins and it doesn´t stop, I am playing Brutal Legend, The Cave, Costume Quest and Stacking with everything working fine, Psychonauts is the only Double Fine game I am having this problem.

I am a great fan of you guys, if you sell an empty can of beans with your logo I will buy it! Thanks for bringing all your excellent games to Linux!

My full specs: https://gist.github.com/Lord-Avallon/4521727

The default settings for the camera are bad for the xbox360 wired controller (presumably wireless as well). The games thinks that LT and RT are some axis (Z), which is causing the constant rotation. Go into the game settings and change the alt camera controls to the right analog. To edit the config file manually, make sure these are the settings you have for LookUp_Alt, etc., in the file ~/.local/share/Psychonauts/Profiles/Profile /Profile -.ini:

LookUp_Alt=JoyRotY

LookDown_Alt=JoyRotY

LookLeft_Alt=JoyRotX

LookRight_Alt=JoyRotX

I am having severe issues with unplayable texture issues with Psychonauts Linux from Humble Bundle (latest download).

I have to force S3TC textures on my Intel HD Graphics 3000 (384MB) and the game and music/sound all work, but the textures are a technicolour yawn.

I would rather check here before doing ANOTHER 5.5GB+ download.

Also, if I install the Steam Linux version, can I play it without Steam running (ie, independently of Steam)??

I have played both Unreal and Unreal Tournament with mid-range S3TC texture packs installed, and they play fine.

Any thought would be gladly accepted. I would love to play this on my laptop. Every OpenGL game I have tried works fine (mostly older titles or Humble Bundle builds).

Cheers.

PS. Please don't tell me to contact HB support, as I already tried that with Torchlight linux, and it was 8 weeks before I received a CONFIRMATION that they had received my request email!! This is a query in regards to the STEAM version of Psychonauts, and its compatibility with Intel HD Graphics 3000.

PPS. Intel have this on their site as being fully supported on HD Graphics 3000 (for Win7 Psychonauts) ???

It's been a while since I played Psychonauts but you used to be able to play the Steam version without the Steam client and I can't remember seeing any updates in the last several months. I have the same integrated card as you so I can check whether I have any issues with it later. (I don't remember if I used my dedicated video card for Psychonauts.)

I had the infamous Coach Oleander projection bug on Linux the last time I played, but no noticeable issues besides that.

Running the Steam version directly from the installation directory without Steam running still works like a charm. And the only noticeable issue I have with it is that the camera lags a bit behind if I flip it around really fast. Except that and the mentioned Coach Oleander bug it works well though. Might it be a driver issue if you can't get that to work either?

Another thing that I'm not sure if is intended or not is that the Steam version uses the directory "profiles/" directly under the Psychonauts install dir for cloud sync but running Psychonauts without Steam uses "~/.local/share/Psychonauts/Profiles/" for saves. This means that you have to sym link these directories if you want to alternate between playing Psychonauts with and without the Steam client. Ideally I think it would be better if both versions used the latter directory.

EDIT: Though I seem to remember from Spy Chameleon - RGB Agent that Steam has an issue with upper case letters in cloud synced directories, so maybe it should be "~/.local/share/psychonauts/profiles/" (or even better "~/.local/share/doublefine/psychonauts/profiles/") instead.

Firstly, this is not the final patch. This one focuses mainly on the audio problems and general stability for Linux. The next patch will be coming hopefully in March, and they will continue until we feel that all versions of the game are in parity. Please report any issues you may encounter here in this thread, or to our support mail inbox.

Are there any plans for getting the Linux version updated to 0.8? There's been a patch on Ryan Gordon's web site for over a year and a half, so I was slightly surprised to see that even the 2014 DVD release from The Adventure Company still had the Coach Oleander projector bug in the Linux version.

As a follow up, I played through the Linux version, using the unofficial 0.8 patch. There were some occasional graphics glitches, but I attribute those to driver bugs because they usually coincided with somewhat alarming "[drm:radeon_cs_ioctl] *ERROR* Failed to parse relocation -12!" messages. There was also usually some strange noise when starting the game but that would go away pretty quickly and not return. And sometimes there seemed to be a brief pause before a piece of music would loop.

But other than that, the game worked great for me.