Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
andersgeek

The fifth Hillbilly painting is an urban myth.

Prove me wrong, please?

I have had no trouble finding any painting in my first session with an all-female squad. I even found all the Knight's and Monk's paintings in my second session. Or the twins' painting later on. But for the love of whatever is holy to anyone and no-one, I just cannot find the Hillbilly's fifth stupid painting. Even when taking him on every trip since the second with varying characters.

I know the positions switch, but as I said, any other character's painting were no trouble finding. And really, not finding them would be worth an achievement. So, where the heck is the Hillbilly's fifth painting? Or is it bugged?

Well, I guess the universe is telling me to get the hell lost, because in my current session -- consisting of Twins, Monk, and Hillbilly -- I finally found painting #5 [next to the Electric Eels basin]. Without finding painting #4, though. And I'm pretty sure, I also did not find #6 this time.

There must be something weird going on with the Hillbilly's paintings, because I found the other character's every painting in one session each.

Well, I guess the universe is telling me to get the hell lost, because in my current session -- consisting of Twins, Monk, and Hillbilly -- I finally found painting #5 [next to the Electric Eels basin]. Without finding painting #4, though. And I'm pretty sure, I also did not find #6 this time.

There must be something weird going on with the Hillbilly's paintings, because I found the other character's every painting in one session each.

That's pretty strange. And you're sure you activated them all as you found them?

I remember that on my first play through (time traveller, scientist, twins) there was an ankh painting on the island near down the lava. I tried a couple of things to get it read (placing all three characters down there, ...) but it wasn't possible. When i later on played with the adventurer it was obvious that it was the adventurer's symbol. So i missed this one, no idea if it was meant as a red herring by intention or if there is something wrong with the selection of the paintings based on your characters. I can't remember if i got all the paintings with each combination of characters.

That's pretty strange. And you're sure you activated them all as you found them?

Yes, very much so.

I remember that on my first play through (time traveller, scientist, twins) there was an ankh painting on the island near down the lava. I tried a couple of things to get it read (placing all three characters down there, ...) but it wasn't possible. When i later on played with the adventurer it was obvious that it was the adventurer's symbol. So i missed this one, no idea if it was meant as a red herring by intention or if there is something wrong with the selection of the paintings based on your characters. I can't remember if i got all the paintings with each combination of characters.

You can also find another Adventurer painting when not using her at the pyramid [the pit where the spikes at the beginning would be forms a forking path: the left leads to said painting, the right further down the Cave], or one Twins painting when on your way to the Time Traveller's museum [near the sleeping dog] -- these weren't the issue, though, as I was still able to find each characters' eight paintings.

Some of the cave paintings have special locations that can be only accessed by one character. The one next to the lava can only be accessed by the Adventurer (using the grappling hook), and will always show up as the Adventurer's icon. If you don't have the Adventurer in the party, you can't get it, but you can get all the paintings for the characters you _do_ have in the party.

There is a similar case with one of the Hillbilly's paintings, which appears in a place only accessible by him (but _outside_ the carnival). I suspect this is the one people are having trouble finding, because you never go there with any other characters, and it's also kind of hidden...

There is a similar case with one of the Hillbilly's paintings, which appears in a place only accessible by him (but _outside_ the carnival). I suspect this is the one people are having trouble finding, because you never go there with any other characters, and it's also kind of hidden...

Enlighten me, please. :)

I went everywhere I could every time, I never saw a Hillbilly painting symbol when I did not have him in my party. [del]Although, now that you mention it, I did notice a path from one of the water holes I couldn't cross because my characters would drown during my first session. I might have to try the all-female combination again to check where it was, and re-check the place with the Hillbilly.[/del] On second thought, that's nonsense as it's just the Carnival entrance area without the right side being blocked so one can venture forth.

i can't find it either... for the life of me, i can not find that bloody fifth painting. I've done so many playthroughs, to try get the achievements... one of them being you need the hillbilly and to play through like 3 times with the hillbilly and every character at least once... and still... even then, i can't find it. :L

i'm starting to hope its a bug or something, because the thought of it being somewhere painfully obvious every time, makes me angry x'D

and I've googled it a few times, there's a quite a few people i have found that are stuck on the fifth painting, and only that one :L

i can't find it either... for the life of me, i can not find that bloody fifth painting. I've done so many playthroughs, to try get the achievements... one of them being you need the hillbilly and to play through like 3 times with the hillbilly and every character at least once... and still... even then, i can't find it. :L

i'm starting to hope its a bug or something, because the thought of it being somewhere painfully obvious every time, makes me angry x'D

and I've googled it a few times, there's a quite a few people i have found that are stuck on the fifth painting, and only that one :L

Did you try the Twins/Monk/Hillbilly combination I mentioned in posting #2 [being in slots 1/2/3 in that order]? Would be weird if the paintings changed every time instead of just depending on which slot a certain character has.

For those who really want to know (highlight hidden text below):

In one of the lakes you fall into after finishing a section (I don't remember clearly which one, it's the one before the Adventurers section iirc) you need to have the hillbilly swim down to the bottom. There's an underwater tunnel there leading to a hidden cave with the missing Hillbilly painting. Yes, it's a pain to find.

...because in my current session -- consisting of Twins, Monk, and Hillbilly -- I finally found painting #5 [next to the Electric Eels basin]. Without finding painting #4, though.

i can second that, hillbilly #5 is next to eels basin, with this combination of characters at least! btw #4 is in a small cave after u drop down into the pyramid section. u have to dive with the hillbilly there, then u find it to the right!

greetings all!

bad1080

Sign in to follow this