Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Asif Siddiky

Sidequest: “I Think It's Ok That I'm Still Here”

Ah, great stuff. Also, this is the second sidequest in a row to mention Dark Forces. If I wasn't so busy I would dig up a copy and play it again.

The original Dark Forces is an all-time classic, so much better than the "Jedi" games that followed it. I have seen a lot of people reference that game this year, additionally. Something is stirring in the zeitgeist.

The time for a reimagining or reboot of that story and setting has come.

Also, very touching story about finding your way in a creative career. His wife/girlfriend sounds like an absolute gem, flying him across the country to seek out a creative job opportunity? How many of your girlfriends/boyfriends would have cared about your destiny and potential so greatly as to do something like that for you? Especially when you're currently failing horribly at accounting school, and dropping out of it. And look at the tremendous payoff. Sometimes you have to really strive to find "your people" and break out of the career pattern of "normal" folks around you, who more or less randomly select a job role (like accounting, or some shit) that they think they might be capable of.

I love you guys. Thanks for the update! So, the Japan picture, what was that about? You've tickled my curiosity, now sate it!

That story of drawing Hitler as a kid made me laugh. That's too funny!

The troubling question is why the teacher kept it?

Lovely to hear about the people behind Double Fine. Loved the Hitler story as well ha, ha. Looking forward to episode 8!

Favourite Sidequest for me!

Ray is really a cool guy. I always picture him in my mind like this:

tumblr_mf0rgk6uDQ1rsrynko2_1280.jpg

An Evil Genius of Evil.

Didn't take long to satisfy Godwin's Law on this thread, huh?

Hitler was mentioned in the episode, no one used an analogy. If you mean that it's surprising to hear about Hitler in relation with Reds, then I fully agree with you.

I hope Ray took this picture as a reference

Opening other peoples Christmas presents?? I guess Ray's last name suits him ;)

As soon as I got the notification of a new sidequest, my first reaction was:

"Please let it be Ray Crook. Please let it be Ray Crook. Please let it be Ray Crook."

And it was ... Ray Crook.

As soon as I got the notification of a new sidequest, my first reaction was:

"Please let it be Ray Crook. Please let it be Ray Crook. Please let it be Ray Crook."

And it was ... Ray Crook.

Man, You're awesome!

Now think about episode 8.

Just noticed a typo in the opening slide at 0:10.

Apparently it's a sidequest about the lesser-known animator "Ray Cook".

Just noticed a typo in the opening slide at 0:10.

Apparently it's a sidequest about the lesser-known animator "Ray Cook".

Nice catch. One thing 2PP is good at is some grammatical error somehow. Hopefully they edit and reupload a better copy.

In that case I take it back because we might end up with epistle 8.

You rock, Ray! That animation scene in the early part of Psychonauts was brilliant!

Double Fine seems to employ the best type of people!

Thanks for another sidequest!

(There's a typo at 13.34 that I don't think anyone's spotted yet - you misspell "Barbera" in your caption.)

Such a great history! I kinda want to see more of that Threads short film.

Thanks for reminding me of why I love that Double Fine is not a sequel factory like other developers. Every game, there's a creative force behind it, and I would be perfectly fine with there never being a Psychonauts sequel. For such a middle sized developer to have games that still stand out is something to admire.

I, too, enjoyed this fine sidequest.

Now post Threads, Ray! Post it!

Thanks everyone for the kind feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed this Side Quest.

I would like to post Threads, but there are a couple of issues. The first is that I can't find a digital copy of the entire film. The copy I have is on VHS tape. The little bit that you saw on the Side Quest was rendered out from individual targa files that I found. The other issue is that the music that we used was only licensed to us for something like 2 years. I asked Dave if he had a digital copy and he couldn't find it. I know I'm a horrible archivist. If I do come across a version of it, that I can strip the music out I will post.

that was great! what was shown of that old student cg animation looks really good still I think! if that was really early doors cg thats amazing...

king of accounting. ha =)

btw so what was that yokosuka japan stuff?

Yeah, what was that picture of him in Japan about?

Thanks for taking the time to watch.

Just to clarify what the picture of me in Japan was all about. When I was studying information systems my minor was Japanese. I had the opportunity to work at NTT in Yokosuka Japan as an intern for 4 months. I had decided to change my field of study soon after getting this internship, but it was an opportunity that I couldn't pass up, even though I knew I was going to be studying animation when I returned to the States. That group photo was the team that I worked with while there. Super nice people.

that was great! what was shown of that old student cg animation looks really good still I think! if that was really early doors cg thats amazing...

king of accounting. ha =)

btw so what was that yokosuka japan stuff?

Yeah, what was that picture of him in Japan about?

Thanks for taking the time to watch.

Just to clarify what the picture of me in Japan was all about. When I was studying information systems my minor was Japanese. I had the opportunity to work at NTT in Yokosuka Japan as an intern for 4 months. I had decided to change my field of study soon after getting this internship, but it was an opportunity that I couldn't pass up, even though I knew I was going to be studying animation when I returned to the States. That group photo was the team that I worked with while there. Super nice people.

Ahhh, I would have done the same thing too! Thanks for the reply!

I, too, enjoyed this fine sidequest.

Now post Threads, Ray! Post it!

Thanks everyone for the kind feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed this Side Quest.

I would like to post Threads, but there are a couple of issues. The first is that I can't find a digital copy of the entire film. The copy I have is on VHS tape. The little bit that you saw on the Side Quest was rendered out from individual targa files that I found. The other issue is that the music that we used was only licensed to us for something like 2 years. I asked Dave if he had a digital copy and he couldn't find it. I know I'm a horrible archivist. If I do come across a version of it, that I can strip the music out I will post.

Damn it! If only there was some way to convert this thing from copy-protected VHS to digital and then edit the music.

Wait a minute, VHS is not copy protected! I guess even something like this will do...

I'm sure that you can also find a VHS capable device somewhere or maybe there's a long shot that some people around DF's office are handling video editing on a daily basis and can obtain access to professional equipment.

Another great video. And let me add, as someone who has never had a job that I wasn't sick of after a year, that finding a place you like working so much that you don't want to jump to anywhere else sounds like a good problem to have! Keep up the great work!

Sign in to follow this