Sign in to follow this  
Cheeseness

Double Fine Down Under BBQ! (fan meetup at PAX Aus, but anybody can come)

In July 2013, I organised a Double Fine fan meetup at PAX Australia!

Ron Gilbert (who was also the keynote speaker at PAX - video) offered to join us and suggested it might be best if we hold it outside the PAX venue so that those who missed out on the limited number of passes could still join us. As time grew closer, we settled on a park across the road from the Showgrounds where PAX was being held, and so the Double Fine Down Under BBQ was born!

Info page with a map! (updated)

3r-jlZ7QM1s

All up, we had 30+ people. Those that hung out to the end nabbed some Humble Double Fine Bundle keys and Double Fine stickers/patches. ^_^

It was superawesomecool to meet you all, and I hope that we'll be able to organise another Aussie fan meetup someday!

Big thanks to Ron and Melissa (I hope it was Melissa - if it wasn't, it is now!) for being so approachable and generous with their time, and super huge thanks to nads and Brad for braving the cold and cooking!

Photos!

Cheeseness' post

JackSlack's post

OK, we've set a date and time! Would love to see some posts from anybody planning on coming along! :D

If any awesome Melbournites who know the venue layout well want to suggest a location to meet up, that'd be great (so far I haven't spotted any maps of the PAX layout).

All depends if I'm going to be working at PAX - and if I am working there, if I can take a "extended lunch break". But yeah I'll be down for the meet-up. I haven't been to the showgrounds in oh so long! So I can't think of a place to meetup. I'm sure they will release a map/schedule 2 weeks prior to PAX. Surprisingly enough there still seems to be tickets up for grabs for Friday and Saturday even thou they are meant to be sold out. So if I don't end up working at PAX I'll just buy a ticket and meet up with you guys on the Friday.

Aw dang I forgot about PAX :(

Maybe next time. :)

Keep your eyes out, there might be additional tickets made available closer to the date (that's speculation, of course).

I'll definitely be watching. I can only hope and cross my fingers...

There might be a 'win free tickets' comp in the Herald Sun or something closer to the day. That usually happens with these things.

The other possibility could be to have it outside of PAX, but I imagine it'll be more difficult to wrangle Ron

The PAX schedule is up! Currently chatting with a few other Aussies and we're feeling that 12:30pm on the Friday might work better than midday. Anybody got any other thoughts?

Just having a quick chat with Ron. Sounds like Saturday would be better for him, and he's happy to do something that's accessible to people who haven't been able to get PAX tickets. Anybody got any thoughts on where we can meet up (it'd have to be nearby)? :D

Just having a quick chat with Ron. Sounds like Saturday would be better for him, and he's happy to do something that's accessible to people who haven't been able to get PAX tickets. Anybody got any thoughts on where we can meet up (it'd have to be nearby)? :D

I'd be pretty supportive of a Saturday meetup myself, too: Friday has a ton of fun stuff to go to (Storytime with Ron, natch, but a ton of other cool stuff) while Saturday is, apologies to PAX Aus, a wasteland with barely an interesting panel to be seen. Definitely the time to strike.

So Cheeseness and I have been talking about where we could do this meet up with DF folks for PAX. I think we should hold an Aussie BBQ for Ron. There is a park right across the road from the showgrounds "Victory Park" - That would be perfect to hold the get together, just hope the weather is good. Thoughts?

BBQ/hanging out in the park gets my plus 1. Just need to hunt a fallback in case the weather's not so good and say something like "bring and cook your own food if you're hungry", I reckon!

What will be the food situation if it's outside PAX? BYO? I may be bringing a vegetarian with me.

I think it's going to be best if people bring (and cook if desired) their own food. Since it's a public park, it'll be hard to guarantee, but if there are multiple BBQs, I'll try to keep one meat free :)

Alrighty, BBQ it is! Captain suggested we go with the Double Fine Down Under BBQ, which sounds great :D

I've updated the first post with a Google Maps link. Looks like trams and trains to the showgrounds will be running, so it should be pretty easy for people who aren't attending PAX to get there.

I ordered some patches and stickers to give out, which have just arrived, so that'll be fun. Tell/bring your friends. Have lunch, meet Ron, hang out with other Double Fine fans! This is going to be great :D

I'll see if I can make it. I live an hour out of the city though so no promises. :)

Alrighty, I've spent some during the week putting together a little info page which should be a bit easier to share around than the forum thread. Tell your friends. Tell your friends' friends. Tell their uncles' pet goat :D

I should hopefully make it :) I'll be flying back to Sydney that day but not til the evening, so I can't see why not.

I will absolutely most definitely be there short of debilitating illness or death.

I was thinking earlier that it might be good to have some sort of hashtag thingy to make it easier to aggregate/find tweets and photos on the day. Anybody got any suggestions? Could go with #DFBBQ or something like that?

This afternoon Greg sent me a super secret video to show at the meetup :D

#DFBBQ works for me! I'm in for sure. Would have been nice to go to PAX but wow, the prices people are asking for online are insane (eBay/Gumtree)

I might head down a bit earlier to secure (or violently defend?) a spot at the BBQ. Worse case, we'll just make a campfire OUTBACK style! (but in a park)

What I might do is get some stuff for the BBQ - Seeing I'm not attending PAX I don't have to worry about carrying stuff around. I'll get a couple of loafs of bread, some sauces, tongs, paper plates and some napkins.

Awesome idea, was wondering how we were going to get the cooking on. I will also bring some cookable items and fizz to go with the burnt. Can't wait to see you all again!

Nads, you're the best :D

Can't wait to catch up with you guys in person again ^_^

In the meantime, here are some of the goodies I've got to give away.

BPWTYLCCcAAk3r7.jpg:large

The weather's looking like it might not be very friendly on Saturday (although Melbourne weather is notoriously unpredictable). I've popped a little notice up on the page with a link to the #DFBBQ Twitter hashtag saying that we'll throw announcements out there (just in case somebody else needs to get the word out or I can't update the site). Fingers crossed for sunshine!

I missed out on #PAXAus tickets, but will try to attend the BBQ, hopefully this rain goes away!

I missed out on #PAXAus tickets, but will try to attend the BBQ, hopefully this rain goes away!

Even if it does rain, we'll still get together - there's a shelter at the BBQ area and as a worst-case fallback, the shopping centre has some under cover space :)