Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mr. Burger

Two-Headed Boy?

2HB is floating in a jar on the cover of Scott C's new Action Comics book. Is this a reference to Neutral Milk Hotel's (deeply awesome) song "Two-Headed Boy," or is it just an uncanny coincidence? Or taking it one step further: is 2HB originally based on that character? This may seem like an arbitrary association, especially to those of you who don't know/like Neutral Milk Hotel, but I hold both NMH and DF in the highest regards, so the prospect of some preexisting bond between the two is thrilling!

Hmm, I never heard of neautral milk. Perhaps what you say is true. I think I remember hearing the name DoubleFine came from a road-side sign that read double fine. I could be wrong. Maybe the idea for a two headed baby sprang from having the double part? Or maybe something else...

Well, the thing is... Neutral Milk Hotel is pretty unpopular--plus they broke up like a decade ago--but those that know them know they are *worshiped* in the music world. The album with the 2HB song it is called "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" and if you just type that into google, you'll find a slew of better-than-outstanding reviews. I'm not even trying to sound biased here. I'm speaking the objective truth. Basically, Neutral Milk Hotel is to indie music as Double Fine is to indie gaming. The indie kids LOVE them, and even the big critics go as far as to give out awards like "the best game/album no one played/heard." If Neutral Milk Hotel was like... the googoo dolls or some band that just had hits and misses, then I'd keep my theory to myself. But NMH is godlike to tens of thousands of fans.

Just like Double Fine, of course. Imagine me talking about how well-reviewed the relatively unknown Psychonauts is while trying to sound objective, and you'd see the same kind of struggle that I just demonstrated in the paragraph above. But onward with the discussion [Warning - My case is about to get very convincing]:

I just can't imagine it being THAT level of coincidental, is the thing. This would not an arbitrary nod to a random band. This would be a nod to Neutral Milk Hotel, and, specifically, to one of the most meaningful songs ever written. (You have to look into the lore of "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea" to get what I mean by that. In a nutshell: Anne Frank's diary led to frontman's mental breakdown led to brilliant songwriting led to unprecedented critical reception led to further breakdown led to no more band.) Furthermore, the song is a lullaby of sorts sung to a two-headed boy floating in a jar. Not only did 2HB originally meet the requisites for the song title ("Two-Headed Boy") but on Scott's first book he even appeared IN a JAR. Furrrrrthermore, 2HB's wearing the same style of swimsuit as the boy on the cover of the album, "In The Aeroplane Over The Sea." The jar was the only piece of the puzzle missing. And what better place to introduce it than on the cover of 2HB's first book?

Here's the song, Two Headed Boy Pt. 1:

Here's the album artwork: http://iconicionic.files.wordpress.com/2008/02/aeroplane.jpg

Here's the Wikipedia article about Neutral Milk Hotel: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neutral_Milk_Hotel

Here's 2HB in a jar: http://www.totallynerdcore.com/index3.htm

Here's a one-headed boy being chased by a ten-bodied puppy: http://todaysbigthing.com/2008/06/27

If their adventures in space are any indication, I don't think bubbles would be coming out of 2HB's mouths, because he doesn't breathe. Having the Mighty Two Headed Baby held down by such a mortal restraint such as the need for breath is silly. It looks an awful lot like a jar, or a jar like container. Not all jars have to be the basic pickle jar shape. If anything, that looks like the jar that Hector ConCarne wore on Bosco to keep his brain on the bear. If anyone remembers that old show? It was part of a double cartoon thing with The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy for a while, known collectively as Grim and Evil.

You pose a very interesting suggestion, Mr. Burger. It's possible, and you make it seem even more feasable. But I don't think we can safely say 2HB was inspired by those songs. I think he just stemmed from the name "Double Fine". Adding that to the unpredictability of Scott C's mind, and a Two Headed Baby is what we get, apparently. Not that I'm complaining.

I CAN safely say, however, that I have added a couple of new songs to my playlist, thanks to you.

YAY! You're back, Cee! At least...I think so...

Anyway, I really don't think that's a jar. I think that's 2HB's aura of awesomeness.

I never left. I just didn't post. Believe me, I've been watching this forum the entire time.

I'd say an aura should have a bit of a fade effect around it. That has a defined line that could be thought of as glass.

I don't know if there are any similarities or not, but when the Holiday Surprise tour came to Michigan, I got to talk to Jeff Mangum (lead singer of NMH). It was awesome!

If only you had posted this one day early. I would have sent this out to all my friends and family.

Sorry. I just found it actually. Searching for stuff.. amazing things you can dig up while searching for completely unrelated things. (I was looking for Double Fine / Brutal Legend pictures to use as a new wallpaper on my computer.)

I also found pics of Double Fine staffers throwing a party for their 8th anniversary too, but those shall be left alone for the privacy of DF folks. Some pics screamed PARTY!! while others were of random people with milk mustaches.

Sign in to follow this