Sign in to follow this  

fire emblem awakening

Fire Emblem won't be out till April

clearly the solution is to move to america, land of freedom, guns and getting video games 2 months earlier

Fire Emblem won't be out till April

clearly the solution is to move to america, land of freedom, guns and getting video games 2 months earlier

I hate Nintendo for making the 3DS regionlocked

Yeah seriously, I can't understand how a business practice of "We want to region lock this console so that we can inflate prices in different areas because fuck them." Isn't straight up illegal.

anyway if any of you have a 3ds i really do recommend this game. i got like 50 or so hours out of it. although i like it overall it is still a very flawed game in my opinion.

+ the characters are all pretty charming and the writing is very funny and smart. the story is decent and gets a bit better towards the end.

- witty writing can only do so much to hide the ultimate shallowness of the characters. a handful of characters have a real personality, the rest are very one-dimensional. the conversations for one character revolve entirely around how unnoticed he feels. another is constantly telling corny jokes. the most memorable thing about one character is that he speaks with a russian accent. if they chopped out half the characters and made the remainder more interesting and complex, it would have been a better game.

+ the support/marriage system is pretty unique. i like how the gameplay reenforces the narrative. the more time your soldiers spend together on the battlefield the closer they grow in the dialogues. also some of the marriages are super cute.

- the system is designed so that for most characters the first 3 dialogues are strictly friendly, and the last dialogue is "i've loved you forever and i want to get married right god damn now!!!" it's extremely jarring and reminds you that you're playing a game. they should have had separate romance and friendship paths for each character. obviously this means they would have to write double the dialogue, which is just another reason to reduce the number of characters.

+ the combat for the first 3/4 of the game is the right amount of challenging (on hard/classic). you really have to think about where you're placing units and when to attack.

- eventually some of your units get better than others. it's the exact same problem as pokemon. you get these really strong guys and you just start using them exclusively because it's easier. the rest of your crew is a liability. you have to grind on easy random battles with these other characters if you want to use them and see their dialogues. it's boring. on the last two missions my weaker characters kept getting killed. i could not position them so that they would survive, even after grinding them for a while. they were literally just slowing me down. finally i just said "f**k it" and i put all my weak characters in the storage bin and destroyed everything with my six toughest guys paired up. it was just 3 units bum-rushing the enemies. that's not strategy. (also the game has your standard "friendship will overcome all adversity!!" jrpg thing going on. doesn't make sense when the gameplay makes it easier for you if you boot out half your soldiers.)

in the end this feels like an old game, built on old ideas. they took these old ideas and piled more ideas on them, and in the end you get a pretty entertaining mishmash. you've got all these different systems. a pair up system, a support system, a weapons triangle, an item system, stats, skills, weapons forging, permadeath blah blah blah. i would really like to see an xcom kind of take on this franchise. simplify it. streamline it. take out the boring or arcane parts.

i know permadeath is a staple of the series, but it just sucks in this way. it's annoying because i know when someone dies i'm blocking off funny unique dialogues. that means i gotta reset. on the other hand, no permadeath makes the gameplay too easy and boring. i think they should have a small set of characters with interesting personalities and make them immune from permanent death. add in customizable grunts that are killable. kind of like a hybrid of the classic (permadeath) and casual (no permadeath) modes already in the game. there will still be some permadeath to make it challenging, but there will be no fear of cutting out interesting content. if a generic grunt dies in xcom, i'm like "well this sucks" but i don't reset because i know i'm not chopping out any potentially interesting dialogue. also it would allow them to make all the characters with a unique personality have relevance in the plot.

anyway i hope someone buys this friggin' game and responds to my super interesting thoughts.

i know permadeath is a staple of the series, but it just sucks in this way. it's annoying because i know when someone dies i'm blocking off funny unique dialogues. that means i gotta reset. on the other hand, no permadeath makes the gameplay too easy and boring. i think they should have a small set of characters with interesting personalities and make them immune from permanent death. add in customizable grunts that are killable. kind of like a hybrid of the classic (permadeath) and casual (no permadeath) modes already in the game. there will still be some permadeath to make it challenging, but there will be no fear of cutting out interesting content. if a generic grunt dies in xcom, i'm like "well this sucks" but i don't reset because i know i'm not chopping out any potentially interesting dialogue. also it would allow them to make all the characters with a unique personality have relevance in the plot.

also it just occurred to me that this is kind of what advance wars does. all the generic soldiers can die, but the officer characters can't die. so i guess make fire emblem a bit more like advance wars is what i'm saying.

UGH IT'S CLOSE ENOUGH

also i didn't really enjoy the gameplay in twin snakes so i can only imagine the original will be more of a slog

You know, I really want more people here to play these games, and you saying they're hard to play is not helping, bro. Especially since its not true. :P Seriously, though I've played other stealth games . MGS plays waaaay better than them.

UGH IT'S CLOSE ENOUGH

also i didn't really enjoy the gameplay in twin snakes so i can only imagine the original will be more of a slog

You know, I really want more people here to play these games, and you saying they're hard to play is not helping, bro. Especially since its not true. :P Seriously, though I've played other stealth games . MGS plays waaaay better than them.

eh, i just didn't find the gameplay very fun. i've said it before and i'll say it again, splinter cell plays way better.

UGH IT'S CLOSE ENOUGH

eh, i just didn't find the gameplay very fun. i've said it before and i'll say it again, splinter cell plays way better.

When I said I played other stealth games, that's what I was referring to. Well that and Hitman.

it's too bad nobody reads this thread since i basically figured out how to fix this game

problem: it's easier to win battles with your stronger soldiers, so you use them more and they get even stronger. you don't use your weaker soldiers because they die too easily, and they never get stronger. it becomes a self-perpetuating cycle and eventually you have no choice but to use your strongest characters (or spend countless boring hours grinding on dlc with your weaker characters, i guess).

solution: just put a better version of the sending-soldiers-on-missions minigame from the assassin's creed games in it. what are your weaker characters doing when you're not using them? why aren't they training? why aren't they socializing? why aren't they earning you money? why aren't they fighting in other battles? (the game makes reference to the fact that your army has thousands of soldiers. there must be other battles for your characters to fight in.) the idea being that your lesser-used characters will not become as strong as your most used ones, but should you want to bring them into your party for the next mission they will be at least strong enough to be useful and not a burden.

alternatively, introduce an armor item and let your weaker characters use stronger weapons without training. compare to xcom (i love xcom): you usually want to use your highest ranking characters for a mission, but should you choose to introduce a rookie into the mix he will still be useful. this rookie can get some kills on his own and usually won't die in one shot (when stats are increased with proper equipment). that's the effect i want to see.

I believe there's free DLC. Anyway I'll be able to play the game on tuesday.

The censored some image in teh DLC

FEDLC_34201_640screen.jpg

I always thought Europe was more progressive when it comes to sexual content. I blame americanization and the islam

medium.jpg

ha, "boingy bits" is my new favorite word.

also i could really care less if they mildly censor some blatant fan service dlc.

The censored one looks more provocative though. It's as if she isn't wearing anything, and the cloth looks like Marth's cape or so. o_O