Sign in to follow this  

fire emblem awakening

this game is pretty cool

anyone else have this game?

i don't like that they call casual mode casual mode though. they should call it cool person mode. because i am cool.

Isn't being casual about things part of being cool?

Anyway, I liked Fire Emblem on GC until I got stuck on one bitch of a mission. This one has my interest though. I like what I've heard about the characters forming relationships.

yeah the relationships thing is why i put it on casual

i don't want two of my little people to get married and then have one of them die

THERE ARE NO WIDOWS IN PAPA HOT'S VIDEO GAME FANTASY LAND

i might theoretically go gay for chief wakamakamu though. have you guys seen his chin? it is the most masculine, powerful chin in existence. it is a chin that could rule nations.

well i'm 8 missions in on normal/casual and it's too damn easy

now i have to decide if i should finish this playthrough or if i should just restart on hard now

after steamrolling another two levels i'm just starting over. i originally started on normal just because i'm a story-gamer and i don't want characters to die but to be honest the characters aren't that great. this is some pretty standard jrpg fare here, folks. there's the klutzy girl who falls flat on her face. there's the brave young lord who wants to save everyone. there's the mysterious guy with amnesia. boring. not to mention the massive dissonance you get from watching little comical "meet cute" scenes seconds before leading the lovebirds out to a bloody battlefield where people are dying. (well, not really since i put it in nobody-dies mode, but you get the point.)

so, if anyone is buying this game just start on hard mode. even if you've never played a fire emblem game before (i haven't). it will be more fun that way.

...or maybe just go play advance wars or xcom: enemy unknown because those games are seriously the shit.

also apparently the way most people play fire emblem games is by never letting anyone die. if someone dies, just reset the game. does that just not strike anyone else as absolutely ridiculous? it's a game about war. people die in a war.

thought: the reset button ruins the emotional impact of failure in video games. a truly revolutionary game console would never let you cheat the system by resetting. put Mr. Resetti in charge of development.

Fire Emblem is all about the perm-death, turn that off and its just another strategy rpg. You are supposed to get attached to your soldiers and recognize them not as another unit on the battlefield but as a person. And when their life is low, you stress out because its not a dainty knock out when there HP reaches zero. Its a permanent consequence of your decisions. You can win the battle but how much are willing to sacrifice? But those moments when you have all of your warrior brethren beside you to celebrate a hard won victory? That is Fire Emblem.

Or you can just freak out and reset the game when one of them dies.

http://i.imgur.com/uKWpj.png

also apparently the way most people play fire emblem games is by never letting anyone die. if someone dies, just reset the game. does that just not strike anyone else as absolutely ridiculous? it's a game about war. people die in a war.

thought: the reset button ruins the emotional impact of failure in video games. a truly revolutionary game console would never let you cheat the system by resetting. put Mr. Resetti in charge of development.

Says the guy playing on 'Casual' so that nobody in his party dies.

who also just said he's restarting because casual sucks and makes it too easy

can we get a little reading comprehension up in herrrr

Don't get so defensive, hotsie. I was merely joking. No need to waste your italics on me.

Fire Emblem owners, please let me interrogate you. I'm curious if anyone has bought any of the DLC, how much it costs and how much of there is it.

who also just said he's restarting because casual sucks and makes it too easy

can we get a little reading comprehension up in herrrr

Only if it doesn't get herrrr pregnant.

Not everyone lives in the U.S., hotsie.

Edit: Using the Fire Emblem site hotsie edited in, I found a list of the Japanese DLC in English. There's a lot of it. It's probably a safe bet to say we will get all of that eventually.

And for North Americans, it looks like the prices may translate pretty simply. 250¥ > $2.50

ok this just happened:

1) the enemy comes to attack one of my units. it hurts him. he counterattacks, gets a critical hit and kills the enemy. now there is room for another enemy to swoop in.

2) the second enemy takes another chunk of my unit's life. my unit hits the enemy, and then the pair up mechanic turns on and an ally finishes the bad guy off.

3) the third and final enemy marches into the empty space and kills the crap out of my solider. i get pissed off.

this has to be the only game in which landing critical hits can be a bad thing. seriously.

omg

in this game your characters can get married

i just watched a marriage proposal that was basically

"oh hey i notice you dropped this wedding ring here"

"uhh, you can keep it"

"i guess this means we're married now"

"uhh, yup"

and i was all like RESET RESET RESET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Go play all the Metal Gears and Persona 4 and Radiant Historia and Xenoblade Chronicles, then we'll talk about games people here don't play, son!

UGH IT'S CLOSE ENOUGH

also i didn't really enjoy the gameplay in twin snakes so i can only imagine the original will be more of a slog