Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheTwins

Any games similar to this?

Hey. I absolutely fell in love with The Cave. It spanned huge locations and there was a huge, fun variety of characters who each had their own powers. The puzzles were incredibly inventive and entertaining. It was just so much fun in so many ways. Do y'all know any games as amazing as this?

I only remember old titles.

If you're into adventure game-style gameplay, I suggest the Goblins trilogy ( http://www.gog.com/gamecard/gobliiins_pack ).

If you like the platforming aspect of the game, you can try The Lost Vikings (it came out for DOS, Amiga, Super Famicom, Sega Genesis and GameBoy Advance): unfortunately, I don't think the game's available any longer, unless you look for it on Ebay.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Vikings

Just don't expect a 1:1 experience, The Cave has a unique feeling on its own. :-)

Diduz has some excellent suggestions; the closest you can get to The Cave gameplay-wise, in my opinion, is the Dizzy series which started on the ZX Spectrum. You can emulate that system very easily on a modern PC, but the games themselves cannot be legally obtained anywhere (which is honestly pretty ridiculous). It's single character only, but the platforming/puzzle solving combination feels very similar. Those things are really, really dated, though. Spud's Quest is a recently Kickstarted Dizzy/Metroidvania homage, so something should come out of that.

There were also several Dizzy-alikes over the years; the Seymour series was one of those. But again, it's ancient, and even though it's not as punishing as the infamous second Dizzy game, it requires tons of patience.

There's always the option of firing up Maniac Mansion in ScummVM. That was the first game Ron did that used this formula.

[urll=http://trine-thegame.com/site/]Trine[/url] and Trine 2 do a really good job of giving you puzzles that you need to solve by swapping between three characters, but they are really more traditional action platformers and not adventure games. They're still very good, though!

I can't think of games which are exactly like The Cave but there are many games which share certain gameplay elements with The Cave. So, chances are good that you might enjoy them as well. Just to name a few (out of many more): very old {Realm of Impossibility, The Goonies, Castles of Dr. Creep, Impossible Mission, Spelunker, Mr. H.E.R.O.}, old {Cadaver, The lost Vikings, Maniac Mansion, Chip's Challenge}, more recent {Scribblenauts, Trine 2, Portal (not the novel), Psychonauts, Limbo, Shift, Home Sheep Home, Braid, Aquaria, Midnight Mansion, Waking Mars, Botanicula and DROD (probably all of them)}.

Oh, and of course The DIG. Everyone should have played The DIG, at least once. :o)

Sign in to follow this