Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Tikara

Options menu not working properly...

Hey guys, long time no see! First off, MAJOR thank you to Double Fine for finally bringing Brütal Legend to the PC! I've been messing around in the beta and so far it's looking good, minus a couple of graphic errors I've seen. However, I'm having one major problem...

I know recently you guys updated the options menu to include display settings and such, but just about all of the options aren't registering when I change them... I try to put the game into Windowed mode (uncheck Fullscreen), and when I hit Enter, it doesn't do anything. I try and change the resolution and hit enter, and nothing changes. I try to adjust the music volume, invert camera axis, turn on/off visual settings, but nothing saves. I try using the keyboard to make the changes; nothing. I use my PS3 controller (emulating a 360 controller) to make selections; also nothing. The only way I was able to change my resolution was by going into the screen.dat file as shown in the FAQ, but even those don't have all the options I'd like to adjust, such as music volume, anti-aliasing, etc.

Speaking of volumes, it's the music volume specifically I can't change. I can adjust the SFX and Voice volumes, but not music.

I'm really hoping these will be fixed soon, cause I would love to make the game run at the best performance it can by adjusting some of these settings.

Thanks for reading, and hopefully these will be fixed soon!

Yea its happening to me too, hope it gets fixed soon. My PC cant handle V-Sync so it lags the game D:

Yeah, I noticed this the moment I realised I couldn't invert the Y axis. I'm sure this is pretty high up on their priority list.

I'm unable to change the music volume, it resets back to maximum. Voice and SFX sliders change without problem.

It's also kinda difficult making sure the slider is at the top when adjusting audio volumes.

As for being able to invert the Y axis, it deselects the option after I exit the controls menu and then enter it again. However, if I select invert Y axis, exit the game and enter the game again, it is enabled.

This is a tricky problem. I was fiddling with it for a while. It's clearly buggy, but at least in the case of the graphical options, I found that hovering over the WORDS and not the Checkboxes when I select/deselect.. then hitting enter... makes it solid. If you hit escape, then come back after doing this, it should stick. I'm not as certain with the sliders, but I suspect in some cases, the actual area to click is deformed or off to the side. You'll have to experiment, it might vary based on video settings. Obviously this will need to be fixed eventually.. but for all of us who need to knock things down, I hope this helps!

Yeah I've got the same problem with the options menu. Haven't really looked into changing the sounds yet though...

It would seem that Typhenirwolf has come to the same conclusion I have; click on the WORDS then enter. Sometimes though I have to deselect/select an option one at a time.

In our next update the options (and the UI) in general should be working better. We have been making a lot of improvements to the UI. Thank you!

Was that the update that went up today or is it the next?

A lot of issues I experienced are fixed now, but the menus are still really wonky.

We made a lot of the improvements in the update that is live now. There are definitely a few menu issues that need some elbow grease though so feel free to call out issues you are still having.

Wondering is it possible for you guys depending fixing the menu background with different aspect ratios like 16:10. Currently it gets cut off at the 16:9 size.

If it helps:

Sometimes, entering options and exiting them will still leave the main menu black/invisible

Adjusting camera speed still doesn't save

Q and "Enter" buttons on keyboard don't register.

That's all I noticed so far.

I don't know if this issue was supposed to be fixed in the latest patch, but I still can't invert my axis in the options menu. I click on the invert axis option and an x appears in the box, but it doesn't do anything. When I come back in the menu, it's un-checked. I have to click it with my mouse too; I can't press my xbox controller button because that doesn't do anything.

I don't know if this issue was supposed to be fixed in the latest patch, but I still can't invert my axis in the options menu. I click on the invert axis option and an x appears in the box, but it doesn't do anything. When I come back in the menu, it's un-checked. I have to click it with my mouse too; I can't press my xbox controller button because that doesn't do anything.

Exact same issue for me. Can't check the boxes with 360 controller, can with mouse, doesn't stick anyway.

Using the menu is fairly inconsistent with Keyboard and Mouse. Some options can be selected with the arrow keys, while others can't. For example: On the matchmaking screen you can select everything with the left right up and down keys except for the ability to go down to the "Start Match" button which must be chosen with the mouse for no apparent reason. Some options also can't be selected or de-selected by hitting enter and must be messed with using the mouse. For example: the "Visuals" menu has no checkboxes that can be checked/unchecked by hitting enter, even though elsewhere on the UI enter works as a "select" button. Finally, I noticed that the volume sliders are very buggy and don't really slide that well. Sometimes I need to click and drag and the slider may follow my cursor at random intervals, other times I have to click on the bar several times before the slider will jump to halfway between where I want it and where it was.

Hitting some menu options problems as well.. particularly with the X and Y axis sliders. I'm able to move these up and down but I can't get this to stick: basically both hitting the "enter" key and mouse clicking on 'select' doesn't do the trick. Hopefully this will get resolved soon / before the game goes live...

Very glad to see the game for PC though!.. can't wait to dive into the single player.

This update certainly helped quite a bit. Thanks for the good work so far! I really like the refined graphics options.

Oddly enough, though, adjusting camera speed still doesn't stick.

Agree on the second point... camera speed still doesn't stick for some reason. Haven't checked out the rest of the updates but am going to shortly!

Sign in to follow this