Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JediJedah

Settlement without snipers???

Me n' Toxic duo'd and made it to 64....w/ a shred of health left on orange, vault got us on 65. I did learn that the bottom of the intersection where the ramp to green decoy starts is a place where archies do tag the vault. If only there was enough time and scrap to set up everything efficiently enough. Toxic brought mortars, which did help out pretty good w/ keeping things like resistors from damaging the bases as much as they usually would have, considering the 'knockback' of the mortars. I wish there was a formula for vault health throughout wave progression to get a better idea of how much scrap i should reserve for archies. I also figured out that archies hit the vault between orange and blue on the li'l mount at the end of the yellow mushroom cluster behind orange. The 3 archies i set up over there kept the vault from hitting blue and green one wave. I wouldn't be surprised if more archies would hit if i followed the spaces between the bases.

I play about every night. Is the toxic you referenced XtoxicXsoulX59? I know he plays even more than myself and is a live friend. Feel free to look me up and let me know. I have no problem shredding and throwing down collectors and dampeners and then backing out for an attemp at some crazy goal. better than playing with randoms who attempt settlement with 2 artilliary cannons....

Yea thats Toxic...we been playing I.B. together a long time now. Good teammate...it was him and another guy when I got my first 100 in settlement. I mention him on here b/c a few of the ppl that come here know him. 2 other ppl that i play w/ come here sometimes too. We duo every sunday for the weekly leaderboards. Its kinda silly in a way, but its something fun to do...my tag is JediJedahPirate. If you wanna shred for me, that'd be freakin' sweet! prolly do a 3/3.....unless if it'd be more practical to shred w/ a woodruff and go 2/2 for sake of 2 greens, then could help w/ building archies and shredders and i could focus on archies completely w/ a honeychurch. I'm in australia and when its 6am east coast usa, its 9pm where I live. Idk what your time zone or location is, but send me a msg if you want some frustration. I need more than a shredder on the team...someone that knows the map and where to place things. Not using snipers changes everything more than you can imagine. Theres also little tricks like running up a wall if cathys are hunting you down...if you're lucky they'll all derp out and you can shoot at them before you slide down the wall. I'd feel kinda guilty having a 3rd guy in just back out after a while. Toxic and one other guy try this w/ me on occasion....if you need something new and aggravating as heck to try, I wouldn't mind a partner. Dampener layouts are a bit different as well....have to figure out how to slow down as much of the map as possible. Theres particular spots at the water's edge on long path to orange where bursts don't take out dampeners (still trying to figure them all out). Not much you can do about green....I'm still tweaking layouts for blue so things don't overlap..a dampener before the smaller peninsula in front of blue, for one example. Mines seem to be the most effective for land, but that increases chances for disconnect greatly, especially the more players there are. BTW, I'm not trying to be a condescending jack*ss, just want you to have an idea of what you're getting yourself into if you want in. Breaking 60 was an accomplishment. I spent months working on 'swamp without snipers' and it drove ppl crazy...this is 3x as rough.

Hey no worries!!

Toxic and I played last night. Funny thing is, I got my first 100 on Settlement LAST NIGHT!!! I had hit 98 or 99 one time and got lagged out hit 97 a bunch with the same problem. My official reached level was 94. I just didn't care if I had hit 100 or not. And usually playing with randoms, hitting 100 on Settlement was something that I just figured would never happen. But toxic joined up and we did it in pretty good time as well.

Toxic discussed you guys playing last night. And I have no issues like I said shredding and throwing down whatever you need to attempt your goal and backing out at whatever level you need.

And I have found that there is no way to help sounding like a bossy jackass when trying to explain/mentor/help people in this game. Some are open to being helped, others... Not so much. I may not know every spot to throw things, but I take direction well and my panties do not ever twist.

Steelhouse1 is my live gamertag. I am on Toxic's friends list so just let him or me know and I will help as I can. It's the early stuff that will be hard. I am in CDT for the States so an hour earlier than Toxic.

Hey no worries!!

Toxic and I played last night. Funny thing is, I got my first 100 on Settlement LAST NIGHT!!! I had hit 98 or 99 one time and got lagged out hit 97 a bunch with the same problem. My official reached level was 94. I just didn't care if I had hit 100 or not. And usually playing with randoms, hitting 100 on Settlement was something that I just figured would never happen. But toxic joined up and we did it in pretty good time as well.

Toxic discussed you guys playing last night. And I have no issues like I said shredding and throwing down whatever you need to attempt your goal and backing out at whatever level you need.

And I have found that there is no way to help sounding like a bossy jackass when trying to explain/mentor/help people in this game. Some are open to being helped, others... Not so much. I may not know every spot to throw things, but I take direction well and my panties do not ever twist.

Steelhouse1 is my live gamertag. I am on Toxic's friends list so just let him or me know and I will help as I can. It's the early stuff that will be hard. I am in CDT for the States so an hour earlier than Toxic.

Sweet....I shall send you a friend request in a li'l while...hopefully our connection will be sturdy. You should learn to solo all the maps like its nothing, if you got the time/enjoy the game a lot. It took me about 2 weeks of daily play my first time on settlement....or even worse...try playing w/ a Selker I! Even with snipers, craptacular health and no collectors makes Selker I solo play freakin' hectic. I want to play swamp solo w/ a Selker V and do mines w/ snipers...still haven't done that yet...met a guy that cleared swamp using shock mines to make up for lack of dampeners....the thought of no dampeners just makes me nervous....

Made it to 86 when we started at 3 and lost our shredder guy around the 60's. We think that it works better w/ 3 ppl and 1 guy is a shredder. Archies do hit when they're going all the way around the green decoy afterall.

Archies out the map behind green spawn do not hit the vault....vault flies below them. archies going all the way around the green decoy on the edge do hit the vault. you can put 2 rows around the green decoy, but the center ring doesn't tag the vault. A buddy showed me how to get to the orange side of outside the map, but i haven't gotten there because its very tricky w/ a lot of little hops over a gap....which i fell into....would like trying to put archies up on the ridge past the orange spawn....they might tag the vault when it spawns into the map or when it returns to bomb on orange. haven't broken the 80's again in a li'l while.

Found out that archies pound on the vault when put below green decoy where shredders normally go below the snipers. I was in the 30's and I didn't even have to shoot at the vault to bring it down. I was getting set up pretty decent till a friend wanted me to get on deck. If I make a row of mines w/ shredders in front of blue and reserve almost the entire water to archies, I think I'll finally be able to break into 70's solo.

All it takes is one bad wave....I remember I used to abandon mission if a vault or arty got a shot off before wave 25 when doing swamp without snipers so many freakin times...

SIDE-NOTE:

This whole massive chalice thing....mac port? would it run on 10.6.8? (yes...i still use snow leopard...) Snow leopard plays psychonauts just (double) fine! To the man who dreamed up Iron Brigade, congratulations on achieving your funding! TBS w/ near infinite replay value sounds astounding. The last rpg'ish game I used to play before costume quest was FF Tactics...which gets old after a while...never finished the game. If massive will run on my OS, I will back it. I do hope a staff member answers my mac and OS question, despite it not having much to do with Iron Brigade, aside from Brad.

2nd SIDE-NOTE:

I've been playing w/ randoms more lately and a few of them wish for new content and some would pay whatever it costs for a full disk version of the game....the best idea I heard so far was turning the mission maps into survival maps. Would that take a lot of new code? Some of the maps would be pretty crazy...like the village one w/ the 3 huts....that map is huuuuge. Then again, theres always the issue of dealing with MS. Seriously....if money is the issue, which it usually is...Iron Brigade kickstarter. I think Iron Brigade is getting bigger internationally as well. Been noticing more ppl in the EU and japan on...no mics w/ the japanese ppl, but we still get the 100.

*edit:

Just looked at the massive chalice projected system requirements for snow leopard....i hope there will be a way to nerf the graphics in settings so my craptacular macbook gpu w/ its measly 144mb of ram would be able to run it...i would be a sad panda...

I hate how windows makes better use of the x3100 gpu than os x does...apple just never cared enough to update the driver.

no official response to my wonderings of the potential for chalice to run on my macbook i see.....anywho....here's something freakin' crazy!

So we were duo'ing settlement w/out snipers again....I go down pretty much right in front of the rock where you can stick a dampener inside it, due to cathy swarm....i'm still down....next wave starts....BERTHA spawns ABOVE ME on the SHELF where there is a cluster of mushrooms! HOLY WTF!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?! She was kinda smooshed between the mushrooms and after so many waves wiggled her way out onto the shelf's open space. She was stuck up there for at least 20 waves, trickling down knobs, which turned into scrap. It was the first time we cleared 70 as a duo....

I've had a blitzer spawn above me when I was running against the wall at the beginning of wave 2 and it jumped from the top of the ridge onto my head...

I used to think nothing aside from the vault or gas could spawn outside the map....

Progress! As duo yesterday, made it to 77! double vault wave on 78 killed us. I solo'd to 60 a week or so ago..I don't remember what got me on 61. I've gotten into the 80's as trio, but its progress in terms of how many players, considering that was the first time I solo'd to 60 and duo'd to 77.

New records!

62 solo! On 63 I was boned...resistors w/ jakobs going down long path, 2 willies going to blue, and an amp lollygagging in the water. Resisters got to orange w/out the jakob but base went from 70 to 30 health in no time...hit the orange decoy then ran for the green decoy...1 resister stayed on orange and that ended it.

I don't think its possible solo, considering the amount of building needed and the loss of scrap w/out having collection. On swamp, the map was small enough to grab the lion's share of scrap before it disappeared....but on settlement theres just too much ground to cover and it vanishes by the time i run from orange to green.

82 duo!

I think it was resisters in the water to orange that broke the base...I was 3/4 asleep by the time it was over...

I don't think its possible solo, considering the amount of building needed and the loss of scrap w/out having collection.

We used to think that an inner ring of archies around green decoy don't hit the vault....but they do. Running out of room for archies, we gave it a go and watched them fire...twas nice to learn something.

We've been using lasers to help w/ the cathys, which are a nightmare after 60's...it takes 2-3 laser turrets at choke points to keep them toned down a bit to where they're not super scary.

....100....getting closer....

98 has been cleared! Was duo'ing w/ toxic and I had to back out in the 60's to hang out w/ my wife on her lunch break....but toxic kept going and he died on 99 via vault dropper. Our usual setup:

Me: Selker I - 2 fiestas, s. shredder, lasers, dampener, archies.

Toxic: Honeychurch - 2 fiestas, s. shredder, mines, collection, crane.

I told him we can't be in the same place at the same time...he runs to where I am due to cathy swarm. Next wave Bertha through the water just beating on orange while we're both at green and I was working on archies around the green decoy. Bertha got 20% base health before we took her down. We think he could've had it if he woulda just stayed at orange. Then again, if 100 also spat out a vault that would've been the end.

It can't be done..

I think if base health were maintained as efficiently as possible till the 70's and everyone backed out except for a selker I (d-g, s-s, mines, archies) there'd be a chance. Till I figure this out, its the only reason left to play (other than for sunday leaderboards...somewhat pointless but still amusing). Pretty much everything else imaginable has been done by someone. The game is too easy w/ pst's. I think if base health were maintained as efficiently as possible till the 70's and everyone backed out except for a selker I (d-g, s-s, mines, archies) there'd be a chance. Mainly the selker I setup strictly for emplacement options, btw.

The impossible has become.....inpossible!

WE GODD&%N DID IT!!!!!!

I could say "I" instead of "WE", but there be no way I'd have done it w/out a partner that backed out around wave 73-74, matey. (I decided to make that a li'l pirate'ey)

Me: Selker I - Archies, S Shredders, Dampeners, Lasers

Toxic: Honeychurch - S Shredders, Collection, Crane, M Mines

When Toxic backed out Orange had about 10% base health...Blue around 15%....Green about 15%

We just got bombed by a vault and we knew another drop would kill everything...so he backed out...I gave it a shot since the setup was nice and the tube health dropped. The difference was amazing...couldn't do anything about the vault in the 70's playing duo. In the 80's solo, I had a vault-resistors-vault wave and both vaults went down before completing the turn going to orange in front of blue conduit. I had one last vault on 90 and it died above the water before hitting orange. Resistors made it through the mines and tapped on green a couple times one wave in the mid 90's. Other than that, I had the map locked. I didn't have my 360 hooked up to my laptop, so I couldn't record the session...nor do I have the space on my drive for it. The best I could do was take a picture of the final score after completion. All 3 survival maps without snipers. Done.

Months and months and months (I could keep going) of trial and error....we finally did it.....suck it, vlad!

Settlement w:out Snipers tally.jpg

578d003ae8a6c_SettlementwoutSniperstally

Well congrats!

I honestly thought it was impossible but that's what people told me when we were going for no base damage, so I salute you.

In a small world, you are king.

Yeah, congrats! That's pretty damn impressive.

So, what's next now that you got that one down?

Thank you and thank you. Prolly the next insane thing would be 'Swamp without orange emplacements'. It might (with heavy emphasis on the word 'might') be do-able with 2 woodruffs and 1 guy back out before 80. I still haven't completed 'swamp without blue emplacements' yet either. I know its already been done w/out blues using a selker solo. I haven't solo'd settlement w/out going down at all as well.

Archies out the map behind green spawn do not hit the vault....vault flies below them. archies going all the way around the green decoy on the edge do hit the vault. you can put 2 rows around the green decoy, but the center ring doesn't tag the vault. A buddy showed me how to get to the orange side of outside the map, but i haven't gotten there because its very tricky w/ a lot of little hops over a gap....which i fell into....would like trying to put archies up on the ridge past the orange spawn....they might tag the vault when it spawns into the map or when it returns to bomb on orange. haven't broken the 80's again in a li'l while.

LOL!!! I remeber Crackalakn runiing though those jumps with us! LOL Still goin' at it I love it!

LOL!!! I remeber Crackalakn runiing though those jumps with us! LOL Still goin' at it I love it!

Yea its a sweet run and a lot of space out there to goof around after doing the hop jump thingy over the gap...figured it out since i did this post.

Also...pretty sure the center ring when doubling archies around green decoy does hit..we goofed around and studied to figure it out. man..this was hell figuring out how to beat this challenge.

Sign in to follow this