Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Emvidasch

Cross Console, would it be possible with the PC port?

Hello all

With the great news of Brüttal Legend coming to PC, it got me thinking regarding the 'popularity' on other platforms. It's been 4 years since the game was released on both Xbox and PS3. Like most games, as time passes the playerbase dies down to a handful of loyal fans continuing to enjoy the game. I have little doubt that one of the greatest games ever created will gain massive attention on PC, but why shouldn't the console players be allowed to get part of that revival? This is when cross-console gameplay comes in question.

Portal 2 has already proven it is very possible to have a cross-console game (between PC and PS3 for anyone curious), so while the game is still in BETA, why not consider opening the very same doors to both PC to PS3 and PC to Xbox? PS3 to Xbox is something I don't see happening in a hundred years, even through a medium like a PC, but other than that, the other options seem fairly possible. I'm not a master when it comes to these things (I'm definitely expecting 95% of the comments here to be arguments that make mince meat of this idea). Through this, the Brütal Legend playerbase can be much larger and even revived for consoles. Even so, I'm tempted (oh what am I saying, obviously I'm going ) to buy this game again for PC. Just because of the new playerbase which will also be much larger.

I think Sony will likely be more open to this idea than Microsoft, however, with Games For Windows LIVE and Steam being somehow able to cooperate, as well as Xbox LIVE and Games for Windows LIVE, I do see a sprinkle of hope.

So, commence the mincing of the meat! :D

Is this technically feasible with PS3 players? Obviously, as you've already mentioned, although Portal 2 had the benefit of integrated Steam support and the use of the Steam's matchmaking services. On the other hand, it seems like it would be simple to tell the PC port to use the same servers as the PS3 game.

...however, with Games For Windows LIVE and Steam being somehow able to cooperate, as well as Xbox LIVE and Games for Windows LIVE, I do see a sprinkle of hope.

No, no, please no. Assuming MS would go for it (Which, as you said, is doubtful), I can only see GFW creating a vendor lock-in with Microsoft, so the only cross-platform play would be with Xbox 360 players, leaving those on the PS3 SOL, and those playing on Steam being forced to install a layer of console-oriented bullshit that replicates most of the features Steam handles out of the box.

Looking at the PS3 side of things, that platform has no such restrictions or requirements for cross-platform play, and I imagine it would be simpler (And cheaper!) to implement.

I don't see this as being possible for a few reasons, mainly that the networks are separate from each other and would require patching to work properly. Cross platform just isn't a thing that happens because of the upkeep, it just isn't worth the time and effort. You also have to keep in mind the expansion that Double Fine wishes to bring should Brutal Legend do well on PC. That sort of submission has a far less difficult barrier of entry through Steam than Sony or Microsoft can/will offer devs at the moment. Something pops up on PC? Instant patch can be pushed out. Something pops up on consoles? Gotta wait for verification and it can cost DF a chunk of money for each update they want to push out. Plus, I don't think we know if DF even has the rights to be able to push out any kind of updates for console versions of BL do we?

And at that, cross platform play is extremely rare. I can think of a few cases where it was capable, and even then i'm not entirely sure about it. I think Dungeon Defenders offered cross-play between Steam and another console via gamespy's servers, and Dust 514 has a unique cross-play where it serves as the faction side of the greater scope universe of EVE Online.

In theory it's a nice idea to have the playing field open with all of the possible players at once. But there's a lot of red tape that gets in the way of what should be a painless experience for developers and users alike, which makes Steam and hence the PC version of Brutal Legend the best version. Until we actually have a real and in the flesh massive metal utopia we can all run around in and beat each other into pulpy bits without the worry about that death thing, I fear the 3 Brutal playgrounds will have to remain separate.

As the poster above mentioned, Doublefine wishes to make additions to the PC version of the multiplayer (which I would love) which pretty much means cross platform play is out, and even though I am primairly a counsle gamer, Im completely fine with it being this way.

The only game I've ever heard about that worked cross-platform was Portal 2 for PS3 and PC. And that necessitated that both versions were specifically programmed for it, and a special deal had to be made between Sony and Valve.

So, unfortunately, I'm pretty sure that it won't be possible.

The realities of the closed console platforms make this pretty much impossible. Plus, as some have noted in this thread, we're hoping to expand MP on PC at some point! And that pretty much rules out cross-platform multiplayer.

Sign in to follow this