Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Anemone

Just finished The Cave. =]

Just wrapped up my final run of The Cave and have now finished with all the characters. It's a really great game, and I love how comparable it is to both Maniac Mansion and The Lost Vikings.

The only example of classic adventure game frustration I found was during the Time Traveler's segment:

(Puzzle spoilers in white below (thanks, hot). Mods: no

tags in this area of the forum?)

I actually figured out very early that I needed to roll the circular rock aside in the stone age to allow the water to drip down into the crevice. Sending someone into the past to roll the stone aside and someone into the future to check the results was the first thing I tried, but it did not work, because I didn't realize you had to switch character while keeping the HOLD button pressed down for the character pushing the rock. I would roll it aside and release, having the character release the rock, but stand in front of it to impede its rolling back. It took me hours of mindless wandering around searching for objects I could use as a wedge to obstruct the rolling rock or just trying the same thing over and over again. Eventually, I discovered what I needed to do by switching between characters very quickly.

I cite this as "classic adventure game frustration" because, like some frustrating object-based puzzles, the solution is intuitive enough, but in order to execute the solution, you have to work out what particular special pleading the game is using. In this case it wasn't special pleading in the logical link between objects, but special pleading in mechanics, since I don't think keeping the HOLD button pressed while swapping between characters is an action that is taught or necessary at any other point in the game that I can remember.

Funnily enough, even though the Time Traveler puzzle kept me scratching my head for a couple of hours, I was able to figure out the monk puzzle in just a few minutes without consulting the website or other help. I'm not great at complex math, but logic I can do!

Also, since I am a DFA backer and have learned a lot about the people of Double Fine through DFA and AF interactions and videos, I think this was probably the first time I have ever ENJOYED THE CREDITS. They're more interesting when you know who those people are!

Also, seeing Cliffy B's name in the testers made me really happy. So much happy in those credits.

Anyway, it was a great, great, great game. Well worth the money spent, and yet another great Double Fine game.

Finishing a Double Fine game is like finishing a delicious pie: Happy because I'm full of pie, and yet sad because now there is no more pie.

I had the same difficulty executing that solution in the Time Traveler's section, AnAnemoneInAnonymity. It was like a big intermission in my playthrough, running around the level for an hour confirming that I had no useful tools or abilities. Eventually I jumped to that part in a guide.

I refused to use a guide out of pridefulness, but in hindsight, I think it is the sort of thing a person could be forgiven for using a guide on, because ultimately they're not looking up the solution to the puzzle; they're looking up a rare function the game doesn't quite mention. It's understandable they wouldn't know.

Sign in to follow this