Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nmalinoski

Tim's Involvement in the Development of the PlayStation 4

Sure, they've been making it in secret for the last two years, even the 2PP guys didn't pick up anything about it iin the hundreds of hours of video they've shot. :)

Anyway, it was awesome to see Tim in there, though I have no idea what he said cause the stream was skipping like mad and audio dropped. They also had the Braid guy as an actual guest showing off The Witness which was cool.

If Double Fine plans on having a title for the PS4 at launch or near it, that seriously increases my interest in a PS4. Also, if Kinect Party were to become Move Party, that would be pretty swell. Just sayin'.

Wish I could have seen Tim present! I'm certainly interested to hear more about the PS4 though I'm one of those types that likes to wait for the hype to die down a little and not have to fight apocalyptically hysterical crowds to purchase a $600 game machine.

I do love the PS3 though. It's really my favorite of the current/old consoles: X360, Wii. And that's mainly because of it's use as a 3D Blu-Ray player for movies. Although I think new technology like Kinect and Move are great and really innovative- I think the real competition will be coming from Steam actually. The reason being that Steam has changed the gaming market by offering games at super affordable prices and constant sales. Game lovers literally are buying games faster than they can play them. All of this raises the question whether the true competition is hardware vs hardware or hardware vs software.

My prediction is that video games will evolve into something similar to the movie industry where the biggest blockbuster games are first released to the major gaming consoles for a period of time (~6mo - 1yr), and then released to Steam at dramatically reduced prices similar to how movies first are released in theatres and then later to home video. This is already mainly the case, but the good news is the price of console games may drop meaning more sales overall.

Software platforms like Steam also allow indie and small game development which aren't really possible with consoles. Currently, it looks like DF is targeting this route which is much more sustainable for them.

What happened to his face hair?!

As part of his creative process, Tim went through a transformation. Or maybe not. But here is a recorded live stream of him shaving at home somewhere.

Smiles

Man. Tim really did lose a lot of weight. He looks 10 years younger.

I would also think that maybe Tim cutting his great grey beard off, could have helped a little

Also, I think that for now, he's just in this interview because DF is one of the many developers Sony came to for input on the PS4, and because Tim is a very interesting person

EDIT: WOW, no joking! Tim is loosing weight! Just found this video where it's easier to see

Congratulations Tim, on finding a diet and some inspiration that works for you :) !

If that involvement comes in the form of one/several games, I'm crossing my fingers for some more PC love.

Sign in to follow this