Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ThunderPeel

Shortest possible route through the game?

I'm trying to calculate the shortest possible route through the game by listing all the shortcuts. Have you found any not listed below?

Gift Shop #1 -- You can use the Scientist to skip getting the bucket -- just take the fuse out.

Knight -- You can use the Time Traveller to skip getting the key (just teleport beyond the dragon's gate -- although I think it kills you).

The Hillbilly -- You can use the Scientist to to get the fuse quickly/You can take the fuse with you. The Monk can allow you to skip getting the fuse altogether by TKing the Mallet.

The Mine -- I don't think you can skip any of this -- most annoying!

The Adventurer -- I don't know any shortcuts.

The Twins -- Don't know of any shortcuts

Time Traveller -- Take the bucket.

The Zoo -- The Monk can grab the Hotdog/You can take the Hotdog with you

The Scientist -- Don't know any shortcuts

The Monk -- Don't know any shortcuts

The Island -- Maybe take the tape recorder to use instead of the parrot?

Gift Shop #2 -- Don't know of any shortcuts

Taking the bucket to the Time Traveler museum does cut out one puzzle, so I say that counts.

Taking the fuse to the Twins' house doesn't save time because you still need to get the box from the attic.

Taking a bucket of water from the coal mines does cut out the need to distract the mom and filling up the bed pan with soup to put out the fire.

Someone mentioned the monk can get the hammer in the carnival via telekinesis so you don't even need the fuse at all in that level.

I'm not sure how much time you'd save bringing the tape recorder to the island since you still need to take the parrot past the dog anyway to get it to the other side of the island and you still need to go near the bone (from the dead pirate) to use the explosives. It would be fun just to see if it works, though.

Random: I'm kind of disappointed that the sausage doesn't make the dog bark.

Yes, I'd forgotten about the Monk in the Hillbilly level!

Some great observations. I too was surprised the sausage didn't make the dog bark.

It's also a bit annyoing that you can't use the sledgehammer instead of the shovel (their reach appears to be about the same) in the miner segment, that would have saved at least _one_ trip down and up the ladder...

The Monk is actually by far the best friend the Knight can have. He shortcuts both getting the key /and/ the treasure via his ability. Get the key, open the gate, TK, climb up.

The Monk also shortcuts the Hillbilly segment a bit via the sledgehammer but that's already been established.

Don't take the Twins with the Hillbilly. They can't carry the heavy weight. They also can't ghost and pull two keys at once in the Scientist segment, but that wouldn't really be a shortcut at all even if it did work.

EDIT: Knight can shave off a few seconds here and there in the Mine just via his invincibility, letting you jump down shafts and hold lit dynamite next to rocks with reckless abandon. Beyond that, no, don't think there are any conventional shortcuts to be found.

Another (minor) time saver is near the beginning (across from the well with the bucket in it), the time traveler can teleport to the other side of the gate jump and pull the lever that locks the gate open. It won't save much time and you have to be careful where you start the teleport to make sure you don't end up in the pit of spikes, but it helps a little.

You might be interested in this speedrun. It has a whole bunch of fast ways but also use glitches ie skipping the whole knight stage so im not sure it it is what you are after.

Kind of the opposite of what you are looking for, but if you use the knight's power while falling through the transitions between areas, you get a better view of them since he goes a lot slower.

Hmm, interesting, i didn't even notice that there were shortcuts when playing through the game but if this is true, where is the logic that f.e. the scientist doesn't need a bucket? Isn't she affected just the same by electricity and if it's about knowledge then shouldn't at least the time traveller and adventurer know about electriciy as well?

The scientist's hack abilty can be used on the fuse socket. So I guess its her abilty to know which wires to not touch. Thats how I solved that puzzle on my first play though I got stuck for a little bit the next time I played though without her.

Except that you don't need to touch any wires when exchanging a fuse, common knowledge which should be available to the adventurer and the time taveller too, maybe even to the twins, considering how sheltered they grew up.

There's a glitch early on in the game that allows you to skip past The Knight's entire puzzle.

You can use The Time Traveler to completely bypass The Twin's puzzle

and carrying the bucket from the mine cuts back on a lot of The Time Traveler's puzzle.

You can also carry a spare hot dog to skip past the second dinosaur thing.

The only bad thing is there's no way to brute force your way past The beginning, The mine, or The island so far.

Sign in to follow this