Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Headroom

Which platform would you buy the next Double Fine game for first?

With so many DS sold, it might be a good idea. But I would be sad because I don't have one.

Hmm, I bet you could get an older one for a pretty good price (like, a regular DS, not a DS lite). They're really good if you like adventure games and such.

Yea. If the Doublefine game does indeed come out for a DS, I might spring for one. We'll see. Do you guys all have one?

Yea. If the Doublefine game does indeed come out for a DS, I might spring for one. We'll see. Do you guys all have one?
When I traded in my Gameboy Advance (the wide style original one), I called it quits on portable gaming for a while. It just doesn't suit me at the moment. I'd rather invest that money spent on a game for my console or PC. If Double Fine came out with something on the DS only, then I might consider picking up a used DS like you had said.

The pc at first (I would probably have got a new pc when the game comes out),.. and then the PS3 version afterwards

I only have a PC so that's obviously my vote. Well, actually I do have a GameCube but I wouldn't want it released on that old thing. I hope (and believe) it won't be released on any of the last-gen platforms as it would no doubt only compromise the quality of the game for those with newer hardware.

I only have a PC so that's obviously my vote. Well, actually I do have a GameCube but I wouldn't want it released on that old thing. I hope (and believe) it won't be released on any of the last-gen platforms as it would no doubt only compromise the quality of the game for those with newer hardware.

I agree with that the game shouldn't be released on last-gen platforms because of the compromise of the quality thing :) .

Urgh, being a full time college student for the past three years means all I've really had time for is portable gaming. And Psychonauts. But aye, I had an old blue DS, and now I have a pink DS lite and I play it daily; I haven't touched my ps2 in forever.

I agree with that the game shouldn't be released on last-gen platforms because of the compromise of the quality thing :) .

I think it should be released on PS2 (and with a good frame rate and non twitchy seziure ground).

Mainly because Sony is being killed by their PS3 sales. If they stop making PS2 games, they'd die from it at one point or another, unfortuantly.

Definitely a PC version for me. I also have a Wii, but since Double Fine's next game probably won't be Wii-only I think the PC version could be superior.

I'd just like to point out the job descriptions that Double Fine has posted and the details for what they are looking for in terms of qualifications for those positions.

One of them says "online multiplayer experience a plus" and another says something about developing for "next generation platforms" (Xbox 360 being noted but not the Wii or the PS3) with experience on the Gamecube, Xbox, and PS2 platforms.

These jobs could be for a title that is following what they are currently working on though, now that I think about it. There sure are a lot of job openings for Double Fine. I hope they have enough people working on their current project so that we will see it sometime in 2008. I remember the first announcement for Psychonauts and the wait seemed like forever. They can't rush quality and I am glad that they don't sacrifice quality in contrast to some other devs/publishers.

Anyways, I found the job descriptions interesting in comparision to this thread I had started. I think that it would probably stand to reason that the PC and Xbox 360 would be their best bet if the poll is any indication of what their fanbase wants (multiplatform would be nice though, don't get me wrong).

PC. I'm not a console person, really. And I seriously doubt a last-gen release (Xbox/PS2/GCN)

I choose the Wii. I think either the 360 or the Wii will be great and would be great for sales, because the PS3 is barely scraping by with games and not everyone is able to have the very expensive console. Wii also puts you in the game, but the down side of it is the 'Wii arm'. :)

I choose the Wii. I think either the 360 or the Wii will be great and would be great for sales, because the PS3 is barely scraping by with games and not everyone is able to have the very expensive console. Wii also puts you in the game, but the down side of it is the 'Wii arm'. :)

There are ways around it. Like, in Twilight Princess, just flick your wrist gently.

Wii, but not because I think the Wii is better than the other systems. It's just the only next-gen system I own. PC is my last choice cos my PC won't even run Bioshock, so it's finally officially old, and I'm going to be too poor for the next three years to buy a new one, whereas when prices come down further in a year or two I'll be able to pick up a PS3 or 360 for a song.

PC. I have no game console. I do have an HTPC that runs Psychonauts fine. If I were to get a console, I would lean towards the Wii, as I'm EULAed to death from M$ (linux, anyone?) and I will purchase nothing with Sony's name on it that I don't absolutely need (since Mark Russinovich's exposure of the rootkit mess back in 05). I hope that whatever platform is selected, it generates maximum revenue for the good folks at DF.

-Dan

I think upgrading my video card or ram would be a ton cheaper than buying another console. My PC's good enough to run anything coming out lately. Not at highest settings, but yeah... Therefore, PC. (already have wii/ps2/ds)

What are your other specs? Just asking because alot of people (I used to too) think that upgrading the video card is the magic solution but if everything else is substandard it won't be as big a boost as you think. Also quality parts really matter. Some parts might look the same from the figures you usually look at (Gb RAM, Mhz processing speed etc) but other stats are just as important (bus speeds etc). And everybody always seems to forget the motherboard! They think as long as it has a PCI-express slot and supports the chip they want its fine but it is the most important piece of hardware. You can get very good ones pretty cheaply too. Anyway apologies if you know all this but I didn't until a year ago and this knowledge has allowed me to build an uber-PC with space for future upgrades (Quad-core support, SLI capable, heaps of RAM space and support for higher RAM speeds) for the same price as an extremely inferior store-built PC.

Anyway on topic I voted PC although I Wii game would interest me. I would like to how Double Fine would utilise the Wii-mote.

I think upgrading my video card or ram would be a ton cheaper than buying another console. My PC's good enough to run anything coming out lately. Not at highest settings, but yeah... Therefore, PC. (already have wii/ps2/ds)

What are your other specs? Just asking because alot of people (I used to too) think that upgrading the video card is the magic solution but if everything else is substandard it won't be as big a boost as you think. Also quality parts really matter. Some parts might look the same from the figures you usually look at (Gb RAM, Mhz processing speed etc) but other stats are just as important (bus speeds etc). And everybody always seems to forget the motherboard! They think as long as it has a PCI-express slot and supports the chip they want its fine but it is the most important piece of hardware. You can get very good ones pretty cheaply too. Anyway apologies if you know all this but I didn't until a year ago and this knowledge has allowed me to build an uber-PC with space for future upgrades (Quad-core support, SLI capable, heaps of RAM space and support for higher RAM speeds) for the same price as an extremely inferior store-built PC.

Anyway on topic I voted PC although I Wii game would interest me. I would like to how Double Fine would utilise the Wii-mote.

I don't know a whole lot about the specs since my bf built my pc for me, but I have an ATI Radeon x800XL video card, AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor, 2.21 GHz, with 1 GB of ram, and ASUS A8N5X mobo... And mine's probably the lowest of all my friends' computers. Everyone else spends insane amounts on their systems.

I don't know a whole lot about the specs since my bf built my pc for me, but I have an ATI Radeon x800XL video card, AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor, 2.21 GHz, with 1 GB of ram, and ASUS A8N5X mobo... And mine's probably the lowest of all my friends' computers. Everyone else spends insane amounts on their systems.

Right now Intel are siginificantly better than AMD ( I used to be an AMD man myself). Core 2 Duo and Quad cores are the best CPU's out at the moment and there has just been a price drop. So you could pick up a Core 2 Duo fairly cheap and the performance boost would be huge. Ofcourse you would need to upgrade you motherboard. 680i ASUS mobo are pretty cheap but very good and also support Quad cores (for upgrading later). The nasty thing about upgrading the mobo is you usually have to upgrade other stuff (like you RAM would probably have to be upgraded, unless it is DDR2?) but if you choose a really good mobo you will be set for a long time. All in all I think I spent about $1600 (NZ dollars and inc a 8800GTS 640MB which was $600 by itself) upgrading my PC. The average one in a stor costs around $2000 and is nowhere near as powerful. I should be set for a good couple of years and might pick up a Quad core and more RAM when the prices (and games) seem right.

I'm sure your bf could point you in the right direction.

Well, it appears that "Brutal Legend" is coming to the PS3 and Xbox 360.

http://www.gameinformer.com/News/Story/200710/N07.1012.1011.37086.htm

No word on any other systems or platforms. I'm somewhat suprised that it isn't a PC-Xbox 360-PS3 title to be honest, but I'm happy to get it for my Xbox 360 since my PC isn't up to par with what it needs to be to fully enjoy next-gen games. I just figured that people who have visited or posted here should know about this.

THE FOLLOWING IS THE EXACT PROGRESSION:

Sega Dreamcast > Wii > PSP/DS (either or, yo) > PC/360

Ah, the sweet taste of anticipation -- and then the disappointment! Why no PC release? I won't be purchasing a console; not even for Brütal Legend.

Ugh. This is like a punch in the face.

Please, if there's any chance of making a PC port -- please please please -- do it!

Sign in to follow this