Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ucantalas

No Death Run?

Hi there!

So, long story short, I love the Cave. I have now played through it 13 times, all on the Xbox version, most times with two of my roommates, but sometimes by myself to get the Player 1 Exclusive achievements.

Speaking of achievements, I have one left to get: "Who Wants to Live Forever" (play through with no deaths), and I was wondering: Who do you guys think are the best characters to pick for such a play through?

On the one hand, the monk can make getting certain items a lot easier, but the mountain path in his level is quite treacherous.

I was kind of leaning towards a Twins/Time Traveler/Hillbilly run, but wanted to know what you guys think works best.

I got the achievement with the Hillbilly, Scientist, and Monk. The mountain path is fine as long as you're careful not to be in a hurry to get down.

Don't take the twins unless you have played them recently; there is a place just after the mansion where you have to drop down on a ledge you can't see, so unless you remember which side it is on you have a 50% chance of dying...

I haven't bothered trying to get that achievement yet, but a lot of people suggest the knight should lead your company due to his invulnerability ability.

I agree that the Twins isn't the best choice. I had to redo the Twins' segment 3 times because I keep forgetting about this one ledge after they leave the front door...sigh. Incidently, my "no death" run was with the Twins, Scientist, and Hillbilly. Not the best choice. I was also "experimenting" by saving a hot dog from the beginning of the game to bypass the Zoo level, lol.

The Monk's stage isn't too bad as long as you don't mess up the last trial. From memory, the Hillbilly, Time Traveler, Knight are relatively save.

I got the achievement with the Hillbilly, Scientist, and Monk. The mountain path is fine as long as you're careful not to be in a hurry to get down.

Haha, the lotus blossom puzzle proved quite conclusively I have almost no patience. :P

My suggestion is Knight and Monk for sure and then just whoever else you are comfortable with.

Using the Knight and Monk while the Twins held and extra hot dog the whole time to skip the zoo puzzle made this really quick and easy.

You can use the monk to pretty much skip the entire knight level. You just grab the key through the wall and then grab the token from out of the dragons reach. Then on everything else I would have the Knight on point to save time jumping off of ledges and using dynamite thanks to his invincibility perk.

I used the twins as my 3rd because I know the puzzle by heart and felt like I could do it the fastest, just remember to jump forward out the front door when you complete the puzzle

So today I finally did the no-death run.

I used the Knight, Monk, and Time Traveller. Knight to use his ability for jumps and dynamite, Monk to grab items from afar, and Time Traveller because I had the entire level down pat.

(Also, if you are using the Monk, his ability can be used to get a Hot Dog from the vending machine in the crystal monster section from a distance, without needing to go through powering the recorder or carrying a hot dog from earlier.)

So today I finally did the no-death run.

I used the Knight, Monk, and Time Traveller. Knight to use his ability for jumps and dynamite, Monk to grab items from afar, and Time Traveller because I had the entire level down pat.

(Also, if you are using the Monk, his ability can be used to get a Hot Dog from the vending machine in the crystal monster section from a distance, without needing to go through powering the recorder or carrying a hot dog from earlier.)

There's actually an easier way to do that, and it can be done with anyone:

SPOILER

SPOILER

SPOILER

Carry the hotdog with you from the start of the game. You get it in the prologue, where you need to toss a hotdog onto the spiked pit to catch the monster with the grapple. Get a second hotdog and take it with you.

As for which people to take, I recommend taking the Monk, Hillbilly and Time Traveller.

I got the achievement by using the Hillbilly, Time Traveler, and the Scientist, but I agree that the Knight is probably the way to go considering his invulnerability skill.

Sign in to follow this