Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
alphafalcon

Permanent reproducible crash/freeze

Dear Gods of Metal, I would like to file a bug report:

I've got an issue that currently blocks me completely from continuing the game in Singleplayer.

I have just arrived at Bladehenge, get the cutscene with Lars on top of the sword/tower.

When the scene cuts to the campfire, Lars gets out his line about not having to tune instruments and the game freezes the complete PC.

My main screen with the game goes blank, displaying "No Signal or Out of Range", secondary screens freeze, audio continues for a few moments, then goes silent.

The system is completely unresponsive, not even Ctrl-Alt-Del elicits a reaction.

Only remedy is holding the power button until it triggers a hard-off.

After a reboot and restarting the game, the save starts at the beginning of the cutscene with Lars's sister poking the car, Lars on the sword, rinse, repeat.

This issue has occured a few times before, but until this point, the save always let me continue.

I have toyed with ingame graphics settings and found no setting that fixes the issue.

[del]I resigned to playing a match against the AI, which went fine until I went on the stage and triggered the fog machine. After a few moments the game crashed.

I will try if this is reproducible across different maps.

Speculation follows:

Does Eddie light a cigarette in the campfire cutscene, possibly triggering a fog/smoke effect?[/del]

System Specs

Win 7 x64 SP1

Primary GPU: Ati Radeon HD 5800 Series <- drives main screen used for gaming

Secondary GPU: AMD Radeon 6450 <- drives two side screens, not used for gaming

Catalyst Driver 13.1 (up to date)

CPU: AMD Phenom X6 1055T

8 Gigs of RAM

I'm available for testing any theory you throw at me, as long as it sounds sensible.

Edit:

Fog did not reproduce the crash in multiplayer, managed to end one game on Battered Bluff, the second crashed (map was Dooms Mire, same as the first multiplayer crash)

We have an issue that we are currently looking into regarding AMD Radeons 6XXX. Can you try and disable that card or removing it and see if you get the same crash after that cutscene?

I got the same problem with my radeon 6950.

I had the crash at the exact same moment that you (lars Campfire).

I managed to passed it one day but I don't know why as I didn't changed anything, the only thing I did was erase prefs.sav cause there was a patch this day and it seemed necessary.

After that I was able to play for nearly 1h30 without any problem. Next day, I tried to play and got the crash again (black screen + rebbot with power).

As it looks like, the bug looks like a crash of the video driver, except that the driver cannot reboot. The games sound is also stuttering when it crashes.

Hope you can fix it soon, as I can't play, just like the OP.

I'll try revert to the Catalyst 13.1 to see if it improves anything, and let you know.

Can we hope a fix one day? Cause it's been 2 weeks since the release and nothnig changed!!!!

It still continue to crash and I cant play AT ALL, since it randomly crashes. Tried with the 13.1 Catalyst nothing changed, it crashed for no reason after 10 minutes.

We have that card ordered so it should be in soon. Unfortunately it is very difficult to debug this issue when we have no hardware to test it on. We are working on Brutal Legend still and continue to fix issues as fast as possible.

Radeon HD 6900 reporting with the same problem. Always crashes when i reach the Druid plough

Edit:

CPU: AMD Phenom II X6 1070T

MB: MSI 870U-G55

RAM: 4GB of DDR3 dual channel

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 9600 1GB

Windows 7 64bit

Catalyst version 13.1

Same problem, crashes randomly on my 5870 and have to reboot pc manually. Need a fix I'd like to play this game from start to finish without ruining the experience with a crash every 10-30 minutes.

@sebbie_25: give more details about your PC to help Doublefine solves the problem:

- proc

- RAM

- Windows

- Catalyst version

And anything else that could help.

Im running windows 7 Ultimate.

GPU - radeon 5870

CPU - amd phenom II x4 955

RAM - 8G

Power Supply - GS500w corsair

I don't know if it's important but we also all have an athlon II processor.

I think it could be the problem because, when playing crysis 3, I had some drivers problem, but it never made the all computer crash, just the video driver, and it was always able to recover.

Whereas when brutal legend crash, we only get a blackscreen, the sound stutter, and we can't to anything but a hard reboot.

Can it be the processor?

Im gonna ask for a refund aswell next month if their is no patch. I hope steam actually cares to respond.

Hi all, You have not been forgotten. We are still working on some optimizations that hopefully will help. The problem is that we have still been unable to repro your exact issue. Getting the black screen after the cutscene. But another user on steam has reported that he has found a work around to the black screen issue. Though it sounds like the black screen he was getting was after the initial logos during boot. Though I am curious to see if the workaround he has found helps any of you in the mean time.

Check out the thread at:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/225260/discussions/0/810919691013326037/

Im not sure if you guys are still playing this game or not but i think i solved the issue after actually trying to figure out a solution. Apparently this game uses the gpu like crazy. So what i've done was underclocked my gpu considerably and raised the fan speed to cool it more. My game has been running for about 2 hours with no freeze. I'm sure my gpu will start tiring itself out and crash, but im guessing the problem is gpu based. There should still have been a patch anyway, if that's possible. Id like to know your results, thanks.

So after a lot of: "That's illogical" and "That can't help" I manned up and tried setting GPU and Memory Clock to the lower limit.

I don't know why but it helps. I left fan speed on automatic, as it provides some feedback about GPU temps. Game still crashed, but after an hour or so instead of 3 mins. GPU Fan didn't spin up, so I'm still sceptical about this being a heat issue.

Hoping to see some "official" feedback some time again. Especially with the humble bundle sale going on, it would be good to have this fixed.

Soo, its been like what, 4 months now and no official fix of anykind? Is it too late to ask for my money back because this is just ridiculous?

Not just "no fix" but not even some sort of official reaction besides "we can't reproduce this", despite repeated offers to run whatever debugging is needed.

To reiterate: Dear devs: If you want me to run a debugger while waving a headless chicken over the pc, I'll do it. (If you provide the chicken, that is)

But this silence looks suspiciously like "It's a handful of people who already bought the game, so what" by some management drone. Please convince me that is not the case.

Still looking forward to some metal adventures,

falcon

GPU Fan didn't spin up, so I'm still sceptical about this being a heat issue.

I'm probably misinterpreting your sentence, but it sounds illogical; if your fan doesn't speed up to accommodate the increased GPU usage, or even power on, your GPU is going to overheat. You should also ensure the fan and heat sink fins are clean; dust buildup can interfere with the heat transfer/exhaust, not to mention it's a potential fire hazard.

In any case, if the GPU is overheating, it sounds more like a hardware or driver issue.

You are misunderstanding me.

The GPU Fan didn't spin up (from its normal idle setting), because the GPU didn't warm up noticeably. If I put significant strain on the GPU like bitcoin mining or hashcat it does heat up and the fan reacts accordingly.

In short, the fan speed acts as an audible indicator of GPU load-

It's just crash bugs are almost impossible to solve without being able to reproduce it on another pc. If you cant reproduce it you can't find the problem why it makes the pc crash. It doesn't even have to be a problem in brutal legend but that it is a function they use in brutal legend that has problem with very specific graphic card/drivers that most other people have no problem running.

Not just "no fix" but not even some sort of official reaction besides "we can't reproduce this", despite repeated offers to run whatever debugging is needed.

To reiterate: Dear devs: If you want me to run a debugger while waving a headless chicken over the pc, I'll do it. (If you provide the chicken, that is)

But this silence looks suspiciously like "It's a handful of people who already bought the game, so what" by some management drone. Please convince me that is not the case.

Still looking forward to some metal adventures,

falcon

Thanks for the info! And I apologize for not jumping in here sooner. I would be very interested from the information you can get from a debugger. Can you try and then send me what you find to support@doublefine.com

Thanks! I will go look for that chicken.

Sign in to follow this