Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 8: "Adventure Games Are Not Dead"

I loved this episode, to be honest. I can't really put my finger on why I loved it, but I think I liked the "it's a new morning" vibe of it with all the new people joining the team and people looking reinvigorated after Amnesia Fortnight. On top of that, the last section about the Hour of Fun was awesome and very insightful to me.

Also, it made me realize once again that being a programmer has a huge drawback: When an artist does his job well, everybody immediately notices how great the background art, the animation or whatnot is. If his work wasn't as great, it at least doesn't kill the game... if a programmer does his job well, the game "just works as expected", and if he missed a bug the thing blows up into everybody's faces.

Anyhow: IMO, it was a really great episode that creates a great contrast to the last episode, which was also great, but a lot "darker" and filled with uncertainty.

Not sure if it's too late to add my voice to the noise but I thought it was the best episode yet.

Is the video not working for anyone else? I just get a black window when trying to play it...

Works for me in Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer 10.

Is the video not working for anyone else? I just get a black window when trying to play it...

Works for me in Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer 10.

Okay, thanks - I'll keep messing around and see if I can get it working.

I finally got around to watching this one and I really enjoyed it. It's been one of the more entertaining ones of late, perhaps because it showcased quite a lot of the game and everyone seemed pretty upbeat.

Congrats to Tim on his weight loss. The juicing machine in the office was an amusing touch.

Excellent episode. 2PP does a great job of tying various narrative threads together, in order to create a general theme of self-improvement and optimism.

Keep up the good work, everyone. The game looks beautiful.

Great episode. Thanks. “Adventure Games Are Not Dead”!!

I like when show Reds off to the rest of the studio! Cute moment.

Hmm after watching this video...can there be a New Game+ mode where you play the game w/ the rough backgrounds instead of the finished ones? walking around in the rough colors or sketches would be sweet

Looking Great!!! I was wondering about the cloud part, could you maybe have some birds flying through or circling around in the background, say far away. Birds always make games look better, and would be a great way to ad depth to the scene!!!!!

Looking Great!!! I was wondering about the cloud part, could you maybe have some birds flying through or circling around in the background, say far away. Birds always make games look better, and would be a great way to ad depth to the scene!!!!!

Put a bird on it! :)

9:37

Is that a Windows XP someone's working on?! Oh the HORROR! :P

Surely they have to test the game on all scenarios possible from the view of debugging.

Surely they have to test the game on all scenarios possible from the view of debugging.

Well there is QA and debugging. QA is identifying problems, so that we can fix them. Since we only have a very small QA team right now it is quite tricky to get a good coverage across all possible OS/hardware combinations.

And even if they find a problem it might still be complicated to identify the source of the issue. Ideally the programming team would have machines with the different combinations setup, so that we can debug in the same environment that QA used for testing.

Also: We did a largely office-wide Windows XP-to-7 migration several months ago, but I think there are still some people who prefer working in XP, or who somehow stayed under IT's radar.

Absolutely!

Still... I don't envy that person. >_<'

That would be me! :-)

:-/

>:(

It'll be alright...

My comment was purely tongue-in-cheek.

Still, as a software developer (business software, so graphical engines, rendering loops and stuff like that is pretty alien to me - as such your job is safe, Oliver ^_^) working with things like MS CRM I am thankful I don't have to worry about things like testing on various OSes and such. We did once took over development of a poorly written Windows application, and boy... was that a pain. I think we still have some virtual machines with Windows XP and Vista lying around on the virtualization server from that time...

Hehe... I know. :-)

I hope that we'll get proper compat testing towards the end, because that should allow us to identify a lot of these issues early. We shall see.

Hehe... I know. :-)

I hope that we'll get proper compat testing towards the end, because that should allow us to identify a lot of these issues early. We shall see.

At least you'll never have to ask the question: 'Will it work on IE6?'

At least you'll never have to ask the question: 'Will it work on IE6?'

But I've a feeling someone will ask the question "will it work on my graphical calculator?"... ;)

Every time i read this thread title, it reminds me of Bill Tiller's (no idea if i quote it correctly) "Adventure Games Are Not Dead, They Are Undead." which somehow makes me smile.

I wonder if/when he'll start his Kickstarter. Is he still preparing his movie?

Hey, we will have an episode this month ? Or the series published by GT is to be considered the ninth episode ?

If we'll have something this month... when ?

Hey, we will have an episode this month ? Or the series published by GT is to be considered the ninth episode ?

If we'll have something this month... when ?

There will be an episode this month. As for when... Some time this month!

There will be an episode this month. As for when... Some time this month!

looking forward to watching it next month

Also: We did a largely office-wide Windows XP-to-7 migration several months ago, but I think there are still some people who prefer working in XP, or who somehow stayed under IT's radar.

The fools!

Sign in to follow this