Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
DF Chris Remo

Episode 8: "Adventure Games Are Not Dead"

Great to see Matt Hansen on the case! One of the best producers I've ever worked with!

We were on a number of projects back at Telltale including and not limited to the various Sam & Max console ports, Monkey, a few other odds and ends, and especially Puzzle Agent.

Awww, thanks Seg!

Wow totally funny. I read your posts and was all like, yeah, I totally agree with what this guy is saying. Then I noticed your username and avatar. Wow, of all the people to run into here. I'm totally going to avoid telling you who I am and see if you can guess.

Anyways, great episode overall, but I agree about getting some kind of hint as to release. Hell, I'd be happy with, "We're aiming for sometime in 2013". Basically, pick the absolute latest you think it would be possible for this to release and say, "No later than XX/XX/XXXX".

Loving the art though. Although, one thing I'm wondering. So far we've kind of focused entirely on Cloud Colony and Space Ship, and yet they're regularly referred to as some of the levels. As in, I'm assuming there are more. What has me kind of worried is, since we haven't really seen anything else, are those being held back to keep something as a surprise? Or has work not begun on those yet? OR am I misinterpreting and those are pretty much what we should expect from the game as a whole?

As Chris said, it's just too hard to say at this point, as the game is still being designed. As you can see in this episode, we're doing everything we can to move forward as quickly as possible, but we want to make sure we give the game the time it needs to be deserving of your love. Once we have a better idea of release date we'll let you know. For now, I can promise it will be out before 2016!

so, if I got this right by buying Brutal Legend on PC (and getting fun out of that) REDS will be better and I get more fun out of it.

So I essentially contributed more to the project and more to my personal fun? Great!

so, if I got this right by buying Brutal Legend on PC (and getting fun out of that) REDS will be better and I get more fun out of it.

So I essentially contributed more to the project and more to my personal fun? Great!

That's true! All those Brütal sales are definitely helping!

Much more positive and informative episode, I liked it a lot (as always). Tim looks at least 13,5 years younger without a beard!

That's true! All those Brütal sales are definitely helping!

I feel so brütal now, that I can play a game, while helping the game that I want to play and playing that former game shortens the wait to play the latter game... wait where was I?

It's really starting to look like an adventure game. I'm definitely excited about the dialogue Tim's writing. I'm not expecting this until 2014 though it still looks like there's a long way to go. As Tim said fans just want a good game, so I don't care waiting longer as long as we get a classic.

As Chris said, it's just too hard to say at this point, as the game is still being designed. As you can see in this episode, we're doing everything we can to move forward as quickly as possible, but we want to make sure we give the game the time it needs to be deserving of your love. Once we have a better idea of release date we'll let you know. For now, I can promise it will be out before 2016!

I'm bookmarking this post in case the game comes out in 2016 or later. ;)

For now, I can promise it will be out before 2016!

You know, as long as we get regular 2PP episodes, I could easily wait until 2016... ;-)

Great episode!

nice how 2player and doublefine send out a positive vibe in this one.

on the game, looks great, nice to see how the internal testing is done.

hope you get the car fixed tim!

ps. you do look better with a beard, or get some sun on that skin, you look like a nerd so pale ;)

Nathan Stapley's random interrupted laughs remind me of Robert Crumb (famous cartoonist) especially in "American Splendor".

Greetings, backers!

- Panel: The Double Fine Adventure Adventure! (Sunday, 11:30am, Merman Theatre)

Why not go all the way? Double Fine's "The Double Fine Adventure" Adventure (presented by Double Fine).

I liked the look with just the moustache and soul patch.

Also, the AD reference in the OP made me realize something. If Reds needs more money to fund development, there's always money in the banana stand.

Wow totally funny. I read your posts and was all like, yeah, I totally agree with what this guy is saying. Then I noticed your username and avatar. Wow, of all the people to run into here. I'm totally going to avoid telling you who I am and see if you can guess.

Anyways, great episode overall, but I agree about getting some kind of hint as to release. Hell, I'd be happy with, "We're aiming for sometime in 2013". Basically, pick the absolute latest you think it would be possible for this to release and say, "No later than XX/XX/XXXX".

Loving the art though. Although, one thing I'm wondering. So far we've kind of focused entirely on Cloud Colony and Space Ship, and yet they're regularly referred to as some of the levels. As in, I'm assuming there are more. What has me kind of worried is, since we haven't really seen anything else, are those being held back to keep something as a surprise? Or has work not begun on those yet? OR am I misinterpreting and those are pretty much what we should expect from the game as a whole?

Just how much money did Ouya give you guys? ;)

Great episode! I wish you guys had all the money to do all the things you want, because the game is looking just great. Bagel's art is looking fantastic, and the animations aren't bad either! Speaking of animations, I wanted to throw out a quick note to David that I tooootally appreciate the work you're putting into the faces and the more nuanced/expressive parts of the animation. A character's movement and body language can be of equal or greater importance than their voice in terms of imbuing a character with a unique identity, and I really loved seeing the expressiveness in the boy's apathetic animation you were working on.

Excitement refreshed! =D

Okay so over the past few months Tim has shaved his beard, Cave, Brutal Legend, Korea = moneyz, people joined the team, and the HOF happened (which was the largest portion of the episode and apparently had pretty quick turn around compared to w/e time frame the rest of the episode took place in showing it's possible to update us in a reasonable amount of time). It looked nice and was enjoyable, but what did I learn about what the dev team actually did? The game looks like it's shaping up and things are moving forward, but what things? Maybe I'm the eternal pessimist internet troll compared to many posters comments here, but I really don't think the update did the lack of any information for months justice.

Finally New Episode! ;D Was very exited about this one. It feel's like a great recovery you've done since you realized about the funds or scale of the game is scaping out. Feels really back on the road. This car will get it's shine back I'm sure. Big thanks to 2PP for making a little longer episode 40min's yay! ;D Just add a little bit of cliffhanger to next episode.. that'd be great to. I like the feeling of wanting to have a small peak, and something to look forward to.

Cheers all! Tim looking great shaved, I might give that a try ;P About the diet thing. Tim should try Keto/LowCarb/LCHF/Paleo diets.. :D

I meant what I said. This totally makes me feel better. I know you're being humorous, but the fact that you said 2016 kind of comforts me. I won't be stressing out about it. See you in 2015!

Another note. At this point, I'm kind of wondering what the resources allocation is like at DF. I know you guys have several teams doing different things. This episode touched on the fact that some of the people from The Cave team have been brought onto Reds. It would be interesting if one of the future videos or sidequests kind of gave us an overview of what's going on with the company as a whole and how that relates to DFA. I mean, I'm sure you have people working on other projects and it'd be interesting to see interactions between them and the Reds team. Like Ron, does he have any insight/input into Reds development?

Okay so over the past few months Tim has shaved his beard, Cave, Brutal Legend, Korea = moneyz, people joined the team, and the HOF happened (which was the largest portion of the episode and apparently had pretty quick turn around compared to w/e time frame the rest of the episode took place in showing it's possible to update us in a reasonable amount of time). It looked nice and was enjoyable, but what did I learn about what the dev team actually did? The game looks like it's shaping up and things are moving forward, but what things? Maybe I'm the eternal pessimist internet troll compared to many posters comments here, but I really don't think the update did the lack of any information for months justice.

Maybe you ARE the eternal pessimist! There was that whole cool bit where they talked about what the new people on the team were working on, for example that person filling out the visual effects, and they showed a bunch of that, and then the animator, with a little detail on his approach to the facial animation and I think that's the first look at the other main character that we've had, which is a big step. They also gave us some more idea about where the extra funding for the project is coming from and of course that big section at the end that you mentioned gave a lot of detail about the sort of interface/design issues they are facing right now.

Incidentally, it's not like they 2PP only kicked into gear in the last 2 weeks. As they're filming the material for each episode, they have to constantly think about how they can edit it into something that tells an accurate but entertaining story of the development. That's why they knew they had to wait until the HOF before they could wrap this one, because otherwise there would have been no... resolution to the stuff that had happened. So it's not about how long it takes to edit one specific bit, it's about how long it takes to construct an episode as a whole in a way that flows well and makes sense.

AAaaanyway, I loved the episode and I hope the team will find time to update us with some forum stuff filling in some more of the details!

Particular, the Adventure Genre has many, many hard-of-hearing and deaf fans. So without (english or german) subtitles this fan base won't understand the video. Thus is very sad, because Tim Schaefer is a great person / actor :/

Watching the internal critique of the game is actually really fascinating! Agreed with everyone else that 2PP is doing an amazing job so far. The episodes are actually almost as good as the fact that we're getting a new Double Fine adventure game...

Was reading an interview on RPS with some guys from CDPR. The amount of times they said that inaction should result in something happening in the story really caught my attention. Inaction being as important as action. Then I was thinking about how perfect Demons Souls and Dark Souls handles that exact same thing. Inaction is a very underutilized thing in game stories I think.

I would love it if all the puzzles were possible to skip and it had some influence on the story when the character did nothing and simply adventured through the world. Would be amazing if there was an adventure game where all you did was interact with things. Made so wherever you click the character would interact with stuff. There would be puzzles, but forcing you to do any of them shouldn't be an option.

Making inaction significant to moving the story is interesting, I think for all games. But we know it will work very well in Dark Souls, and hopefully in The Witcher 3. But maybe does anyone here think that might be more of a RPG thing compared to an adventure game? Finding Dusk of Oolacile, or resurrecting the mute woman by invading Lautrecs world at that one specific moment in the game it lets you use that item. Those entirely optional but heavy story events made that game define adventure to me, even though they are categorized classically as "role playing games"

Sign in to follow this